Beware of Hops Direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abracadabra

Reaction score
I am an avid gardener. Last year I bought some rhizomes from Hops Direct (aka) Puterbaugh Farms and they did nothing. I assumed it must have been my fault because they never did anything at all. This year they were one of the first to advertise that they had hop rhizomes available so I order from them again, 4 rhizomes of 2 different varieties.

I planted them the day after they arrived and once again nothing happen. I even ordered them sent 2nd day air so they would arrive fresh.

Out of frustration last week I ordered 2 more from Fresh hops. Not wanting to waste anymore $ than I had already spent I had them sent ground and also planted them as soon as they arrived.

The Fresh hop rhizomes are going great I had to dig up the Hops Direct / Puterbaugh Farms rhizomes & throw them away. I then planted the Fresh Hops rhizomes in the same pots and potting soil that the Hop Directs variety had been planted in . The Fresh Hops are growing great guns some of the vines are already 3 inches high.

Just wanted to save folks on the forum some time, money and frustration.
I'll update this thread about my effort to have my money refunded from Hops Direct / Puterbaugh Farms.

Just talked to Elizabeth at Hops Direct LLC / Puterbaugh Farms about a refund. She said she would have to talk to her supervisor and get back to me. I told them I was calling them first to allow them to work something out with me. My next move is the call the credit card company and dispute the charges if they don't reply with a prompt response that is to my satisfaction.

I did tell her that I had been happy with the hop cones I had purchased from Hops Direct in the past.

Good for you. All too often people don't stand up for themselves.

Yeah, you gotta be firm with companies. I've never ordered rhizomes from them before, but I've been happy with their whole hops (though I still hate that you never know how much shipping is until it shows up on your CC bill). They seem pretty disorganized, which means that you can probably talk your way into a refund even if they push back at first. Bigger corporations usually have strict policies and you have to talk to a manager to get around them, but little guys like this? Sheeeeeeit. If they give you any guff, tell them that you are an avid homebrewer and you frequent one of the most popular online homebrewing forums, and if they refuse to back their products up with a replacement/refund guarantee, you'll have no choice but to urge people on that forum not to do business with you. Usually that gets people's attention. I pulled that card out on a manager at Worst Buy one time when they wouldn't give my wife a refund on some expensive headphones that broke. I told him, look, I buy a lot of electronics, and I know a lot of other people who buy a lot of electronics, and if I leave this store today without satisfaction, I'll have no choice but to tell them to stay away from Worst Buy. 30 seconds later he was walking us to the back of the store to find a replacement pair. The key is that you're firm, resolute, but not angry or belligerent. Remain calm and simply tell them what's up. I can almost guarantee they'll work with you.

Edit:

Customer service did send me and email questionaire that went to my junk mailbox.

Elizabeth at hops direct said they would give me a credit for the rhizomes. I just finished filling out a questionaire for them. Don't know what or how much of a credit they are taking about. Or whether it's a store credit or they intend to issue a credit to my credit card. We'll see.

Much to their credit Hops Direct did say that they would issue a credit to my credit card.

I'm just out the $20 some odd $ I spent to have it shipped 2nd day air. What can I say live and learn.

I am starting to question the wisdom of trying to grow hops in Georgia I had to drag the pots inside due to cold weather the last 5 days. I might have been better off just growing some corn or lima beans. With the price of grocreys this year looks it look like gardening is going to be more than just good exercise.

abracadabra said:
I am starting to question the wisdom of trying to grow hops in Georgia I had to drag the pots inside due to cold weather the last 5 days...

Yeah, SWMBO keeps wanting to go put the tomatoes in the ground right now.

I keep telling here we're gonna get one more snowy, icy day.

Damn this eternal winter.

I am having the same problem with the one Rhizome I bought from freshops its not growing at all. The 5 I bought from midwest and the one I bought at the lhbs is growing just fine. I sent Dave an e-mail and we will see what happens if anything.

Anyone having trouble with their Cascade rhizomes? Mine just won't do much of anything. I've had it for a week and while all the other rhizomes are making progress, this one just improves by a half shade of green.

I just don't get it. Even the Sterling is coming along. : /

My 6 Freshops-supplied rhizomes are behaving as follows: after 3 weeks in the ground in the Philadelphia climate (date to plant was april 14th, but there have been a couple light frosts since then), all 3 willamette "sticks" (weak-looking rhizomes) are all sprouted w/1" growth, and only 1 of the cascades following suit. I'm pegging them as slow-growers relative to the Willamettes, and not sweating it out.

Latest posts

Back