IS this an infection in my wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
Sorry for reposting this but I got no response and I am wondering what to do?

This is only my third batch of wine, but neither of the other two looked like this at this stage. I am supposed to get ready to rack to a carboy after clearing the wine. I added the chitosan, and phosphates per the directions after degassing the wine with a wine whip. Placed it in a temp controlled light deprived location for 10 days and peeked at it and this is what I saw. I smelled the wine and it smells normal, there is the yeast and what not on the bottom of the carboy like normal but all of this stuff floating on the top has me a bit concerned. Since it does not smell "off" or anything I think I am ok and will rack to a sanitized carboy as planned and just wait. Does this pic look like my wine will still be fine after racking it off this stuff floating on top? Any insight would be most appreciated.

20140217_093756.jpg

I did not measure after adding sulfites and chitosan but before was .996 before adding the chemicals. I will measure tomorrow but am wondering how I can rack and keep whatever is floating on top of the wine from getting into the new carboy.

I retested and the FG was .995 from 1.086 I believe, I am horrible about writing that stuff down. It is supposed to be a carmenere. I took a pic of it in a clear class so maybe you can see what the is floating in the wine. This is supposed to be in the tail end of the clearing stage but there is a bunch of white specs floating in the wine. The stuff on top is the same color as the wine. It looks to be me like the sulfate did not dissolve all the way but I dont know, I am new to all this. I tasted it, and it does not taste funky or different than other new wines so I dont think it is ruined yet. I was going to rack to a carboy tomorrow but now am wondering if I should wait to let it clear, cold crash to try and get all of the "floaties" out of suspension or go a ahead and rack and top off. The directions specifically stated not to top off yet so I was waiting until I racked.

20140217_225812.jpg

Didn't see this was a double post untill after I replyied to the first one!
Your sg droped a point in the last few days. So yes, it is fermenting again. Just a tiny bit. It could go as low as .088. Usually it stopes befor then, but not always! The white floatsome does look like an undesolved chemical. Possibley a campton tablet.
You have two choices. Rack it off what you can or leave it untill everything settles. Either choice will work with no harm to the wine. Its more of a personal preference at this point.
I do not not always top off. Never had a problem not topping off. With just the little fermentaion you have going you should be just fine not topping off right now. If you were planning on letting it bulk age for a year it would be wise to top up. A few weeks or months however is not a problem.

When did you start this wine?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

The fg actually has not changed I was going off memory and remembered when testing last night that the hydrometer rested between #s. I did not us Compton tabs on this wine. But after tasting it it seems fine. I do want to bulk age so I was thinking of cold crashing then racking. Will that affect anything.

It's quite vigorous whatever it is. If it were me I would rack, and keep tasting. If it's a ferment restart you don't want to let it go. Keep testing Brix. If it's an infection, I would cold-crash, rack again, and hit it with Campdens.

I racked it of what ever it was, tasted and all seems to be fine. I will be out of town for a few days so when I get back I will check on it again and see how we are doing. I will probably re-rack at that point regardless and then bulk age if everything seems to be fine. If it looks like it is an infection, I will do what you suggest, cold crash, re-rack and campden tabs and see where that takes me.

Back