One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I ate deep fried grasshoppers from Indonesia.

A bit underwhelming I'd say.

If you have experience chewing on super crispy chicken bones (say the wing tips) you get an idea of the sensation.
But, the chicken tips taste a lot better.
The grasshoppers smelled a bit fishy too which wasn't very appealing especially after I was told that they didn't have any fish sauce on them. ;)

I have seriously thought about the ability to kill and eat "pets", be it dog, horse, cat or whatever else has a 'name'. If the need were there, I have come to the conclusion that I can and would do so with very little emotional problems. I would regret any necessity that forced me to do so but would still do what needed to be done.
We are on the same page my friend. :mug:
Ever read this book? It deals with the pet thing in a chapter or two.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765356864/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came *this* close to buying horse steaks once in an Italian grocery store (my lack of ready access to a grill was pretty much the only thing that stopped me), but if I had to go out and slaughter a horse myself, I don't think I could do it.

Slaughtering and butchering large animals is pretty hard work. Anything bigger than a lamb or a goat and you start to need things like booms, winches, hoists, hooks and other such rigging equipment in order to get them hanging for draining and sectioning. I think a lot of rednecks use their cherry pickers in combination with a small army of friends.

Now and then horse filet can be found at my local supermarket. It's always making it's way into my shopping basket because 1) it's a little bit cheaper than beef and 2) it tastes a whole helluva lot better than beef.

Sometimes horses need to be put out of their misery due to a severe injury, sometimes they just die from old age. The meat is very good and there's a whole lot of it. Unless it's a diseased animal, why anybody would dispose of it instead of eat it is beyond me.

Sometimes horses need to be put out of their misery due to a severe injury, sometimes they just die from old age. The meat is very good and there's a whole lot of it. Unless it's a diseased animal, why anybody would dispose of it instead of eat it is beyond me.

About 90% of the horses in the U.S. have had Phenylbutazoneon (Bute), which stays in the meat. It is extremely dangerous to humans and can disrupt the production of blood cells.

Here in the USA, there are any number of reasons & groups to protest; so much so, that now we can't eat horse, nor even ship live horses to coutries where they'll be slaughtered for human food:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2034431/
Regards, GF.

About 90% of the horses in the U.S. have had Phenylbutazoneon (Bute), which stays in the meat. It is extremely dangerous to humans and can disrupt the production of blood cells.

Holy crap.
That was my daily "piece of information I learned today that I didn't really want to know"

I have always wanted to eat rattlesnake, while wearing snake skin boots.

Rattlesnake is very tasty! All white meat, low fat, high protein, mild flavour. I've had it roasted on a spit over a campfire, breaded & fried in a skillet, and grilled in a basket. The bones are kind of a pain, but when cooked, the meat mostly slips off the bones easily. IMHO, snake doesn't need anything in the way of herbs or spices, but a wee bit of salt & maybe black pepper are tasty.

Maybe attend the Rattlesnake Roundup sometime:
http://rattlesnakeroundup.net/
Regards, GF.

Eating something that has opposable thumbs would be difficult for me. Like eating a chimp, maybe if it was a choice between death by starvation, but other than that, no. No Sasquatch steak for me. Though when you think about it, a steak from a human(oid) leg would look almost identical to a bone in ham slice.
Just say "NO" to Soylent Green.
Regards, GF.

Eating something that has opposable thumbs would be difficult for me. Like eating a chimp, maybe if it was a choice between death by starvation, but other than that, no. No Sasquatch steak for me. Though when you think about it, a steak from a human(oid) leg would look almost identical to a bone in ham slice.
Regards, GF.

So what you are saying is Unicorn would be more your speed.

Regards, GF.

That appearance and the smell when cooked is what caused the term "long pig" to be coined when referring to human cannibals.

I'd never had lengua before today. I was at an event where there was a taco truck and they had lengua tacos, I figured for two bucks I would give it a try. It was a bit greasier than I usually like, but the flavor was pretty good and the texture wasn't too bad. I think it is something I will have again in the future, especially as hang over food. Menudo is supposed to be good for hang overs too, never had that either.

I've eaten rattlesnake, but I'd like to try python or anaconda, just to see if there was much difference in flavour; and because they're big enough to cut steaks from. I'd like to try iguana and/or monitor lizard too.

I've heard that breadfruit is tasty, like to try it sometime. Swedish cloudberries are supposedly not the same as yellow raspberries, so I'd like to try those too. Maybe Asian hyacinth beans and/or snake beans.

And I'd like to try Icelandic sheep's head, prefferably with a cute, blonde Icelandic woman who knew & loved such foods & all the best pairings...
Yeah.
:)

I've always wondered what fried cockroach would be like, and if I ever get to travel to a place that it is served on a regular basis will have to give it a go.

I got the last of the frozen alligator tail at the store yesterday. $15.99/lb!
I'll be cooking it up next weekend, I only have 1lb, so I'm planning on keeping it simple & letting the meat itself be the star of the show. I'm thinking of stir-frying some in a little EVO & maybe steaming some. No spices, but a little salt might be good. I'll update this after cooking & consuming said alligator meat.
Regards, GF.

Still haven't had gator... I even went gator hunting in the NYC sewers... no gators, plenty of free range long pork though.

seriousy though, I'd like to try gator, also horse.

After working through this thread, I realize how absolutely spoiled rotten I am filling up passport pages and my gullet for a decade or so. I've definitely eaten plenty of things I had absolutely no curiosity for. Sea cucumber is one of the few I said I wouldn't eat again, and weeks later I did anyways. My wife questions why she still kisses me. Yet despite the adventures, snake has eluded me. I had colleagues in China checking menus and trying to arrange it, but it never worked out.

Had scorpions at a night market, but as a beekeeper, I regret never getting a cup of fried bee brood when I saw it in Chiangmai Mai. Aboriginal/primitive tribal folk harvest hives as much for the larvae as the honey. So that's a definite curiosity for me. I suppose I could harvest some myself and fry them up somehow, but I don't see that happening.

I'd never had lengua before today. I was at an event where there was a taco truck and they had lengua tacos, I figured for two bucks I would give it a try. It was a bit greasier than I usually like, but the flavor was pretty good and the texture wasn't too bad. I think it is something I will have again in the future, especially as hang over food. Menudo is supposed to be good for hang overs too, never had that either.

Tongue is awesome, and it's not greasy at all in it's self. The tip is the best, extremely lean and tasty, makes a great sandwich. I NEED to pick one up, I grew up with it and dearly love it.

Had tongue at a Teppenyaki restaurant, but more novel was smoked and sliced cold like deli meat. The taste buds are noticeable on the thin edges which wigged the wife out. Didn't help that my friend and I taunted her with it, pleading for a French kiss.

image-950459773.jpg

Well, I cooked up & ate the gator meat Saturday. I kept 1 piece plain, no spices, not even salt, just stir-fried in a bit of olive oil. The plain gator was VERY mild in flavour, barely any flavour at all really. It had the texture & appearance of a chicken breast that had been sliced thin & pounded thinner. All white meat. A bit fattier than I expected, but still good.

The rest of the gator was lightly spiced & stirfried in the same olive oil, and it was awesome! The spices didn't really take over so much as they enhanced what little flavour the meat itself had. I only had 1lb of the gator tail meat & 5 people got a good taste of it. All who tasted it liked it quite a bit & said they'd eat it again; but at $15.99/lb, it's going to be quite a while til we eat it again. Only my 11 year old niece opted out of the gator tasting, the idea of eating alligator really creeped her out. <LOL> I'd heartily recommend alligator to anyone!
Regards, GF. :mug:

I read somewhere that dandelion leaves make a good bitter salad green. I plan on trying this, and hopefully getting into more foraged food. Anybody have any links for that?

I read somewhere that dandelion leaves make a good bitter salad green. I plan on trying this, and hopefully getting into more foraged food. Anybody have any links for that?

Dandelion is pretty common in mixed greens. Tastes alright. I'm not entirely sure what you want a link for...

I (and nearly 10 million Greeks) eat them quite regularly during the summer. I just pull them straight out of my yard while doing yard work, throw them into a pile, and my wife cleans them. You need a great big pile of cleaned leaves to make one batch.

They are bitter as all hell if you don't cook them properly. First, throw them into a pot without any water and cook them slowly until they release all of their own water. Pour the water out, add fresh water and boil them again. Drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water, drain thoroughly again - repeat this process twice. They will still be bitter. Put them into a big bowl and pour in equal amounts of olive oil and lemon juice, enough to make them all shiny and easy to stir around, don't be stingy. A little bit of sea salt don't hurt, either.. Cover the bowl and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 days - then it's ready to eat. You eat it cold or at room temperature, not warm.

The Greeks call it "horta", and it goes well as a side dish with anything.

I find the trick with dandelion greens is to pick them small & get them into cold water, pefferably with a bit of lemon juice added quickly. They're still bitter, but not nearly so much as when they're bigger. I just toss 'em in with the rest of the greens in a salad. High in vitamins A & C, tasty, healthy & FREE.

The flowers are good too. Very mild flavour compared to the greens, I've added them fresh to salads, breaded & deep fried them, sauteed them in a skillet, etc...
You can even make wine from the flowers, but in all honesty, every dandelion wine I ever tasted I thought tasted terrible. Some people like it though, more for them.

You can often buy fresh dandelion greens in upscale/organic specialty stores, but these look different from what I pull out of my yard. They have red leaf ribs. They're NOT chard, they just seem to be another (domesticated?) variety of dandelion greens. They're also much less bitter. I'll have to look for the seed for those red ribbed dandelion greens & try growing them in pots.
BTW, bunnies LOVE dandelion greens. :)
Regards, GF.

Back