WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 2L 1.040 starter on a stirplate with 1 vial will get you 300 Billion cells after 8 days at 28C. That would be more than enough for the 1.050 beer. 2 vials into a 5L starter would produce plenty of yeast for both beers. I usually grow more than enough and only pitch what's needed after a cell count.

Never use a stirplate with brett! Too much oxygen will cause brett to produce acedic acid which will make your beer taste like vinegar. Just let the brett in a flask (covered in tin foil) for ~2 weeks.

There will be acid in your starter... Not in your beer! You dom't decant your starter!

ryanhope said:
Never use a stirplate with brett! Too much oxygen will cause brett to produce acedic acid which will make your beer taste like vinegar. Just let the brett in a flask (covered in tin foil) for ~2 weeks.

I stir plate all my Brett and none of them are are sour or taste like vinegar.

Use a stir plate if you have it, it will not cause acetic flavors, if you're worried, grow on stir plate for 8 days, as recommended, stepping up as you see fit, then put in fridge for one to two days, decant and pitch.

The levels of ethanol and acetic acid produced during aerobic batch culture are dependent on the levels of aeration with increased concentrations of oxygen lowering growth rates (Aguilar Uscanga et al., 2003).

The levels of ethanol and acetic acid produced during aerobic batch culture are dependent on the levels of aeration with increased concentrations of oxygen lowering growth rates (Aguilar Uscanga et al., 2003).

For those curious this excerpt it taken from the http://www.brettanomycesproject.com/dissertation under growth factors.

Here are some other relevant excerpts:

"Custers findings included observing considerable amounts of acetic acid, produced during aerobic fermentation, while no appreciable amounts formed during anaerobic fermentation."

"The metabolism of acetaldehyde in Brettanomyces spp. under anaerobic conditions has not been thoroughly studied, while under aerobic conditions Carrascosa et al. (1981) found support for the mechanism of Custers effect being linked to the formation of acetic acid through the oxidative conversion of acetaldehyde."

"Brettanomyces spp. have been observed to utilize both glucose and ethanol in producing acetic acid under increased levels of oxygen, although Freer (2002) showed not all strains could use both as carbon sources, with high variability seen in the levels of acetic acid produced by different strains."

So just because you have lucked out using a stir plate with brett does not mean you can't get acetic acid. I personally err on the side of caution and start my brett starters (with not stir plate) a few weeks before I want to brew a new brett beer. This is probably more important when growing brett up from bottle dregs due to the extended lag phase but why risk it with a white labs vial.

ryanhope said:
For those curious this excerpt it taken from the http://www.brettanomycesproject.com/dissertation under growth factors.

So just because you have lucked out using a stir plate with brett does not mean you can't get acetic acid. I personally err on the side of caution and start my brett starters (with not stir plate) a few weeks before I want to brew a new brett beer. This is probably more important when growing brett up from bottle dregs due to the extended lag phase but why risk it with a white labs vial.

Just decan't the starter! If there's some acetic acid, you'll throw it away. I decant all my sacch starter...because a starter is oxydised wort/beer and yeast. Only take the yeast.

No?

A little knowldege is a dangerous thing. How'd you take this info and decide not to use a stirplate exactly?

I just read the whole brett project dissertation, and it appears that brett brux trois (Brie) has really good attenuation at low pitching rate, even lower rates than sacch ale pitching rate.

Wow... fear, ignorance, little information. Some pretty heavy stuff there. Sometimes I think people forget it's just beer.

My choice is to propagate in an environment as close to what it will experience in fermentation as possible. For brett that's intended for primary, usually this would mean lightly hopped wort, no aeration, ~70F. Two steps to hit the desired cell count. I like to crash and decant, then use the repitching from slurry calculation at ale rates.

It's just beer but still, yeast needs oxygen. Giving them oxygen is way better than giving them the same "atmosphere" at first.

I just decanted my starter after 6 days, to step up. I did get some acetic notes, but it doesn't bother me, I'll decant before pitching in the wort wich I will not aerate.

Just pitched this into a citra pale ale inspired by zombie dust. Starter smelled like peach and mangoes, can not wait for this beer.

Got my starter going on Monday, and the over-ripe fruit smell coming from it is fantastic. I'm having trouble coming up with a recipe for this though. I have the grain bill figured out, but hops are making me rethink myself. I want to brew an IPA ~56 IBUs and I can't decide what hops I want to throw in. My original plan was to go with nelson sauvin/pacific jade/motueka with a FWH and knockout hop bomb, but I recently stumbled across some El Dorado hops and I'm really enticed to play around with them. What does the forum think? Should I take the leap and use some el dorado?

I think that you may well find that the Brett will be the star of the show,whatever you hop with. SO leap!

Alright, here's what I've come up with.
Brett Trois IPA - 3.0 gal
OG: 1.062
IBU: 55.8
SRM: 6.3
72% efficiency

4 lbs 2-row 55.2%
2 lbs Red Wheat 27.6%
1 lbs Golden Naked Oats 13.4%
4.0 oz Acidulated Malt 3.4%

10g Nelson Sauvin (12.5%) 60 min
10g El Dorado (15.3%) 10 min
10g El Dorado 5 min
5g Pacific Jade (14.4%) 5 min
10g Pacific Jade flameout
8.35g El Dorado flameout

Looks good? My only concerns are the amounts of golden naked oats and acid malt. Would anyone change either?

72% efficiency

4 lbs 2-row 55.2%
2 lbs Red Wheat 27.6%

10g El Dorado 5 min
8.35g El Dorado flameout

Looks good? My only concerns are the amounts of golden naked oats and acid malt. Would anyone change either?

Naked oats to me have a strong flavor contribution. I use them at 0.75-1 poung per 5 gallons.

I've used el Dorado a few times and wasn't too impressed, it is good for bittering. Not sure on nelson for bittering, are they good for that or better as late additions and aroma?

cjalderman said:
72% efficiency

4 lbs 2-row 55.2%
2 lbs Red Wheat 27.6%

10g El Dorado 5 min
8.35g El Dorado flameout

Why (so much) wheat and oats in an IPA?
Also, not enough hops.

Tiroux said:
Also, not enough hops.

The Brett will make that ibu level seem much higher than it is. That amount of hops should be fine

kaips1 said:
The Brett will make that ibu level seem much higher than it is. That amount of hops should be fine

Not talking of bitterness here. The IBUs are just fine since the FG will be low. But not enough aromatic. Convert it to a 5g batch and it's 2.5oz or aromatic hops. Bitterness will overcome and that's not going to be a balanced hoppy beer, just a bittet pale ale.

And in my opinion, oats flavor just don't go with fruitu hops. It might gives you more mouthfeel, which is good, but also an intense flavor. If you want to increase mouthfeel, i suggest a tiny amount of rye flakes or malt, which gives you a greater texture with a less intense, well-blending taste.

As for the wheat.. I love wheat ipa.. But you just have to know it's going to be a wheat ipa :)

But hey, this is only my opinion!

Also, not enough hops.

Mouthfeel in a beer is from glycerol produced by sacchromyces. Brettanomyces does not create glycerol as a by-product of fermentation, so mouthfeel must come from proteins in the grist.

What are the thoughts on Brett Trois making bitterness stronger? I haven't seen that anywhere before until this thread.

theveganbrewer said:
What are the thoughts on Brett Trois making bitterness stronger? I haven't seen that anywhere before until this thread.

The FG goes down more. Lower FG = increase perception of bitterness, that's all.

The FG goes down more. Lower FG = increase perception of bitterness, that's all.

sure it goes down more, but not that much. every all brett i've done has been about 80-85% attenuation which is barely lower than chico would take it

Well.. I expect a normal IPA tongo down to around 1010 to a 60-70 ibus. For a 644 ipa, i would expect maybe 1005. So 55-60 ibus seems just right.

Chico or 001 enhance bitterness also, compared to an english strain.

Not talking of bitterness here. The IBUs are just fine since the FG will be low. But not enough aromatic. Convert it to a 5g batch and it's 2.5oz or aromatic hops. Bitterness will overcome and that's not going to be a balanced hoppy beer, just a bittet pale ale.

And in my opinion, oats flavor just don't go with fruitu hops. It might gives you more mouthfeel, which is good, but also an intense flavor. If you want to increase mouthfeel, i suggest a tiny amount of rye flakes or malt, which gives you a greater texture with a less intense, well-blending taste.

As for the wheat.. I love wheat ipa.. But you just have to know it's going to be a wheat ipa :)

But hey, this is only my opinion!

I like the flaked rye suggestion, probably gonna go with that. How much aroma hops do you usually shoot for in your ipa's?

Ok I just tasted the second step of starter... HOLY WOW!
That tastes like a pineapple berliner weisse. It is acidic, but it is so good.
I'm gonna brew a Brett Trois berliner weisse, that's for sure!

But now I'm gonna decant it because I don't want that acidic note in my DIPA.

if you drink your DIPA inside of,say 2-3 months,then you will not even get a hint of tartness showing through the hops.
Keep it for 6 months upward and then you will get a bit of acidity.

Back