Should yeast sink when pitched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobe5217

Reaction score
I just finished my first batch ever, everything seemed to go okay. My one big question is whether or not the yeast should sink when pitched. There was a bit of foam on top in the primary fermenter after I added the cold water and wort and swirled to aerate it. The yeast sat on top of the foam when pitched. Should I go back and swirl to sink it?

I capped it and put it away about an hour ago.

My first 8 or so batches using dry yeast I just sprinkled on top per instructions. I now use liquid yeast, but everything seemed alright when I was using dry just top sprinkling it. It gets moist and multiplies anyway, doesnt need to be stirred. Now the next ten people to post may disagree.. but you will still get fermentation.

I wouldn't mess with it, once it gets fermenting ur gonna see alot of movement up and down, think of a lava lamp going up and down but at 5-10X's as fast. U'll see what i mean when it starts. But as long u aerated properly and the pitched yeast that were healthy, you won't have anything to worry about.

did you pitch dry yeast? or a vial of liquid yeast? the answer in both cases will be some times. If you pitched dry yeast with out re-hydrating the yeast ( common practice but a bad habit to get into ) the dry yeast will need to absorb some liquid to re-hydrate before they will sink into the wort. if you pitched a liquid strain, if it is a floculent stain ( yeast that like to clump together) you can get big clumps of floating yeast at first, eventually these will all fall into solution.

So let it be, you should start to see air lock activity in 12-48hr's after pitching.

Phew! Thanks guys. By the way, I can't believe the short response time on this forum, it has been awesome.

Back