My Craft Beer Hit List!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We like a lot of the same beers, not a big fan of bigfoot bueverything that you have listed I like.

Gear101 said:
We like a lot of the same beers, not a big fan of bigfoot bueverything that you have listed I like.

Good stuff man. I must say, an aged Bigfoot vs a fresh one is a day and night difference. A lot an aged DFH 120.

Beer #54 - Immort Ale - Dogfish Head

Dark copper/amber like color with a 2-3 finger off white head on a rough pour. Fades pretty quick leaving a decent lacing. Carb is good, not too flat but not too bubbly. A lot going on in the aroma. Oak, dark caramel malts, a boozy alcohol hint that mixes itself with notes of vanilla. Taste is equally complex. As the beer hits the tongue oak and peat-like smokiness jump right out, caramel malts and vanilla pick up in the mid palate while the smokey flavors linger. And a hint of maple with some more vanilla/alcohol in the finish. Nice long and subtle finish. The flavors of vanilla and hints of maple really sit on your taste buds and a bit of heat hangs in your chest until you take your next sip. Medium body and tastes better closer to wine temperature where the flavors really open up. Overall a really nice beer, I'm excited to open some up next year when the bottles are 2 years old.

My Grade - A-

image-1197889603.jpg

Beer #55 - Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Ale - Rogue

Really rough pour comes to a 2 and a half finger dark cream colored head. Slowly falls back down leaving a decent lacing. Body dark brown/black. Aroma is like banana pez candy. Not a bad thing, but seems more like an extract banana aroma rather than real banana. Taste is the same pez candy banana flavor the second it hits the tongue. Unpleasant slight chalkiness mid palate and some hop bitterness and roast malt bitterness in the finish. Meduim-full bodied but leaves a dry mouthfeel. Honestly I think they missed the mark with this one. And I enjoyed the bacon maple ale. I'm just not getting the chocolate or nuttiness from the beer and the flavors don't blend well or compliment each other. Not sure I want to finish the pint. Thanks Ed for making it possible to try this beer.

My Grade - C.....and I only give that for effort. This isn't a beer I'd recommend.

image-1899817803.jpg

You should review that Single Hop from Bitterroot brewing next :) I'm curious to see if you like it

Beer#4 - Lucky 13 - Lagunitas

One of the better Ambers Ive had!! Light amber color, good carbonation and lacing. Sweet malty, slightly piney and citrusy hop aroma. Nice slightly toasty malt taste with a good hop finish thats citrusy, earthy, and a little bit piney. The balance is great. Very well bodied but not too heavy. Very drinkable beer at almost 9abv that makes this dangerously pleasurable.

My Grade - A+

View attachment 73108

+1,000,000

Lucky 13 is my favorite

I give it a A+ also

I remember Lucky 13 being severely sweet and sticky. I suggest Maine Beer Co. "Zoe". It's one of the best ambers I've had, if not thee best... Just a friendly suggestion of something to compare Lucky 13 to if you get the chance.

bobbrews said:
I remember Lucky 13 being severely sweet and sticky. I suggest Maine Beer Co. "Zoe". It's one of the best ambers I've had, if not thee best... Just a friendly suggestion of something to compare Lucky 13 to if you get the chance.

I can't get it down here but would be willing to trade for it. I'm always down to try a beer I've never had, especially if someone recommends it.

I haven't tried this one, but last year's Voodoo donut was terribly disappointing. I'm not really into drinking these wild beers, but appreciate the effort and risk. But it was just a terrible let down. Not sure I'll be trying this one here...

Beer #55 - Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Ale - Rogue

Really rough pour comes to a 2 and a half finger dark cream colored head. Slowly falls back down leaving a decent lacing. Body dark brown/black. Aroma is like banana pez candy. Not a bad thing, but seems more like an extract banana aroma rather than real banana. Taste is the same pez candy banana flavor the second it hits the tongue. Unpleasant slight chalkiness mid palate and some hop bitterness and roast malt bitterness in the finish. Meduim-full bodied but leaves a dry mouthfeel. Honestly I think they missed the mark with this one. And I enjoyed the bacon maple ale. I'm just not getting the chocolate or nuttiness from the beer and the flavors don't blend well or compliment each other. Not sure I want to finish the pint. Thanks Ed for making it possible to try this beer.

My Grade - C.....and I only give that for effort. This isn't a beer I'd recommend.

View attachment 94801

Beer #56 - Single Hop Ale - Bittering Root

This review comes with a special thanks to LoloMT7. Thanks for hookin it up with this in the trade!

Golden straw color and a pillowy four finger slightly off white head on a rough pour. Clarity is pretty hazy. Very carbonated with a slow receding head that leaves a nice sticky lacing. Aroma is of tangerines, with slight grassy hoppy notes but not earthy, and a little bit spicy and floral. Tastes a lot like it smells with citrus, tangerines and grapefruit mostly, dominating the palate. Little bit of that grassy hoppy flavor on the mid palate but that's swept away with more citrus in the finish. Not very bitter but full of real nice smooth hoppy flavor. No heat and not much noticeable malt presence. Light and crisp body but not dry. Nothing fancy or complex but the flavors are great and really enjoyable. If this is a single hop beer my guess would be Amarillo from the big tangerine-like flavor and smooth almost unnoticeable bitterness. Overall this is honestly a great session beer. I could drink this all day. Thanks again Clint, I'm really enjoying this one!!

My Grade - A

image-52908155.jpg

I'm glad you liked it. Your spot on it's all Amarillo hops this year. They usually make it with Columbus only and I like that one just as much. That's my go-to beer when I just can't seem to pick anything else out I grab 2 of those bombers and I know they are going to be great. :mug:

LoloMT7 said:
I'm glad you liked it. Your spot on it's all Amarillo hops this year. They usually make it with Columbus only and I like that one just as much. That's my go-to beer when I just can't seem to pick anything else out I grab 2 of those bombers and I know they are going to be great. :mug:

It was great. Simple, tasty, and very sessionable. It really shows things don't have to be complicated to be good. There can be perfection in simplicity.

Beer #57 - Santa's Private Reserve Ale - Rogue

I've been meaning to review this beer for a month now and somehow it just didnt happen. So without further adieu here it is...

Orange and copper like in color a rough pour turns into a 4 finger frothy off white espresso colored head. Great head retention, it really takes a while to fall back and leaves some awesome stained glass lacing. Aroma is a nice mix of a mild piney character, some other woody notes, and backed by a bit of crystal malt sweetness. Taste is piney upfront, followed by a hoppy bitterness and Spanish cedar like flavors in the mid palate, and more earthy piney hop bitterness interwoven with nuances of biscuit in the finish. No heat or alcoholic notes. Body is in between light and medium and has fairly dry/crisp mouthfeel. Overall its a pretty well balanced beer. I'm not overwhelmingly impressed but its definitely very drinkable.

My Grade - B+/ A-

image-1368214172.jpg

Beer #58- Wake Up Dead - Left Hand Brewing

Very dark brown almost black on the pour. Caramel colored 3 finger head with nice retention that leaves a nice sticky lacing as it falls. Aroma is of smooth chocolate accompanied by a light nuttiness and barely noticeable hop note. Flavor is a lot like the aroma. Smooth chocolate, a little dark fruit, and mild hop bitterness up front that deepens into more of a bitter dark chocolate in the mid palate and holds on through the finish where some roast coffee flavors come in. Also a slight heat in the finish, characteristic of Imperial Stouts. Medium bodied. Overall not bad but I wish it had more mouthfeel and more assertive and complex flavors.

My Grade - B+

image-3900035191.jpg

Beer #59- Cold Smoke Scotch Ale - KettleHouse

LoloMT7 thanks for hookin this one up in the trade!!

Rough pour turns into a thick head that fills half the glass with nice cascade like effect. Very good head retention and nice lacing. Body and head about the same color as Coca Cola maybe a little lighter with more of an amber color than brown. Sweet and malty on the nose smelling of caramel, some toasty, and a faint yeast character in the background. Tastes like it smells on the front palate with a little bit of molasses in the finish. Very smooth and no hot flavors. Medium body with a nice silky mouthfeel. Not my favorite style but still very drinkable.

My Grade - B+

image-3590014293.jpg

Beer #60 - Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas

Copper in color a rough pour quickly opens up to a frothy off white colored head. Good head retention and nice lacing. Aroma is complex with a lot going on. Wonderful orange-tangerine hop aroma, sweet notes of caramel malts, with a hint of sugar in the background. Taste is citrusy and floral up front balanced out by a nice residual sweetness from the caramel malt and orange/grapefruit on the finish. Well carbed and medium bodied. No heat reminding you it's basically a 10abv beer makes this stuff really dangerous. Overall a great beer.

My Grade - A+

image-2431737172.jpg

Beer #60 - Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas

Copper in color a rough pour quickly opens up to a frothy off white colored head. Good head retention and nice lacing. Aroma is complex with a lot going on. Wonderful orange-tangerine hop aroma, sweet notes of caramel malts, with a hint of sugar in the background. Taste is citrusy and floral up front balanced out by a nice residual sweetness from the caramel malt and orange/grapefruit on the finish. Well carbed and medium bodied. No heat reminding you it's basically a 10abv beer makes this stuff really dangerous. Overall a great beer.

My Grade - A+

View attachment 100805

Agreed the brown sugga is an excellent lagunitas beer! Sucks on the other hand.... Well it SUCKS!

Beer #61 - Tricerahops IIPA - Ninkasi

Golden in color, a gentle pour opens up a three finger off white head that has great retention and leaves behind a nice lacing. Very well carbed. Aroma is citrusy and piney backed up by caramel malt and a little biscuit. Taste a lot like it smells... Citrusy and a bit resiny upfront balanced out by caramel malt with the tangerine grapefruit notes taking the lead in the finish. Not very bitter but still very flavorful. For being almost 9abv you wouldn't have a clue, its very smooth and crisp. Medium body. Overall a good beer but I expected more of a hop punch for a IIPA.

My Grade - B+

image-680859330.jpg

Thanks to you I enjoyed a Fat Tire tonight!!

Right on! Friday was the winter brewfest here in Missoula. So on my way there I stopped by the LHBS and shared that bottle of HellHound on my Ale with all the guys in there. It was Awesome! Thanks again.

LoloMT7 said:
Right on! Friday was the winter brewfest here in Missoula. So on my way there I stopped by the LHBS and shared that bottle of HellHound on my Ale with all the guys in there. It was Awesome! Thanks again.

Glad ya enjoyed it. That's one of the next reviews I'm gonna post up. That stuff is really good.

Beer #62 - Hellhound On My Ale - Dogfish Head

Pour is light gold in color with a big 3-4 finger off-white head. Retention is great leaving behind a nice sticky lacing. Huge centennial aroma. Citrusy, spicy, mildly earthy. Tastes like it smells. Grapefruit up front accompanied by a sharp hop bitterness that settles into into more of a tangerine citrus note on the finish. Taste is great but not very complex. No heat or alcoholic notes. Crisp and light bodied. Overall its a really good straight forward IPA.

My Grade - B+

image-2904396456.jpg

Beer #63 - Private Reserve Ginger - Woodchuck

image-116474763.jpg

As soon as you pop the cap off the bottle your hit with the sweet and spicy aroma of ginger. The pour is the color of white wine with a mellow carbonation. Fresh ginger and crisp apple and a bite from the ginger linger on with each sip. No heat, other than the ginger bite, from the nearly 7abv. Crisp but not too dry with a light body. It's more like a ginger beer with apple notes. Incredibly drinkable!!!

My Grade - A

Beer #64 - Kells Irish Style Lager - Rogue

Rough pour golden straw in color turns into a frothy 2-3 finger head that's a pale white. Very good lacing and retention. Aroma has a malty breadiness, a grassy kinda skunky note, and a light fruitiness. Flavor is a light lemon like citrus tang on the front palate, grassy hop tones and some yeast character mid palate, bready malt flavor on the back of the tongue and a citrusy hop on the front of the tongue in a nice long finish. Body is thin, well carbed, and crisp leaving the tongue dry. Overall a pretty solid beer with good sessionable qualities, but not something that blows me away.

My Grade - B

image-456284956.jpg

Beer #65 - Moo-Hoo - Terrapin

Rough jet black pour turns into a 2 finger peanut color head. Pretty nice lacing down to the last sip. Aroma is sweet with dark chocolate, creamy maltiness, and light roastiness in the background. Flavor is complex and delicious. Notes of milk chocolate and dark fruit up front, a coconut and caramel like flavor in the mid palate, and dark chocolate and caramel malt in the finish. Body is medium-full with good carbonation. Overall a really nice chocolate stout I could drink all day.

My Grade - A

image-1771344278.jpg

Beer #66 - New Belgium Trippel

Easy pour forms a 3 finger off white head with a clear body that's light gold in color. Good head retention and nice sticky lacing. Sweet aroma with a strong Belgian yeast character and wheat up front backed by a light touch of coriander and bready maltiness. Great banana like ester profile immediately present on the front palate intermingled with coriander. A very very sweet bready maltiness comes in mid palate accompanied further by a yeasty finish. Well carbed and light-medium bodied. Not a very complex Trippel but it hits all the marks for the style. Overall the intense sweetness doesn't make it very sessionable though I'd be interested to see what age would do for the flavor profile.

My Grade - B

image-152762606.jpg

Beer #67 - Pliny The Elder - Russian River

Rough pour golden in color rushes into a whitish yellow colored 3 finger head. Very slow receding leaving behind a nice lacing. Very pungent and mouthwatering aroma ranging from citrus, fresh pine, and subtle mango. The hop presence is very flavorful not just an assertive bitterness. Very juicy and crisp citrus flavors on the front palate followed by pine and some crystal malt mid palate that all meld to a long lasting finish. Medium body, good carbonation, and no heat. Overall the beer is a perfect example of the style. It's not just hype, its a damn good beer.

My Grade - A+

image-2120381548.jpg

KeyWestBrewing said:
Beer #67 - Pliny The Elder - Russian River

Rough pour golden in color rushes into a whitish yellow colored 3 finger head. Very slow receding leaving behind a nice lacing. Very pungent and mouthwatering aroma ranging from citrus, fresh pine, and subtle mango. The hop presence is very flavorful not just an assertive bitterness. Very juicy and crisp citrus flavors on the front palate followed by pine and some crystal malt mid palate that all meld to a long lasting finish. Medium body, good carbonation, and no heat. Overall the beer is a perfect example of the style. It's not just hype, its a damn good beer.

My Grade - A+

It really is a tasty IIPA! I'm surprised you held out as long as you did before cracking that one open.

It really is a tasty IIPA! I'm surprised you held out as long as you did before cracking that one open.

Thanks for hookin it up man!!! Knowing how much hype it has behind it I wanted to wait for a good time to really sit down and treat the beer with my attention. This beer like LPs, IMO lives up to the reputation and earns the buzz that surrounds it. Now they just need to start distributing down here!!

KeyWestBrewing said:
Thanks for hookin it up man!!! Knowing how much hype it has behind it I wanted to wait for a good time to really sit down and treat the beer with my attention. This beer like LPs, IMO lives up to the reputation and earns the buzz that surrounds it. Now they just need to start distributing down here!!

That's a pretty good comparison I think. I would equate PtY with the undercrown. Good beer and a little easier to get ahold of. When my liqueur store gets PtE in stock they only allow you to buy one bottle. They posted on Facebook the day I was packing up your package that they had some in so I had to include one for you.

That's a pretty good comparison I think. I would equate PtY with the undercrown. Good beer and a little easier to get ahold of. When my liqueur store gets PtE in stock they only allow you to buy one bottle. They posted on Facebook the day I was packing up your package that they had some in so I had to include one for you.

Cant thank you enough, Ive wanted to try it for a long time :mug:

Latest posts

Back