Forks over Knives documentary on disease

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
almost wish I could unsee it.

The most profound "study" was in the Netherlands.

When Nazis moved in and confuscated all animals, health improved so dramatically as to be unvbelieveable.

5 years later when animals were brought back, health plummeted to pre war levels.

The study on mice was amazing too. When dairy (to oversimplify) was removed from the mice's diet, cancer levels plummeted.

A viewing of this, preceded by Food Inc., I think should cause every person to rethink our food system, and how we eat. These two documentaries led my wife and I into deep discussions, research, and ultimately a Vegan lifestyle.

We eased into it (basically, we were not going to throw out non-spoiled food), but have been Vegan ever since, without much effort really. Our freezer is now essentially empty, and our refrigerator is always full.

My wife said the biggest difference at the start is that she became a "maker"; she makes vegan waffles and freezes them, she makes my children's granola bars (which they prefer over store bought), she makes bread, we bought a Champion Juicer which is PHENOMENAL and makes soft serve "ice cream" and sorbet from nothing but frozen fruit (as well as nut butters, pasta sauce, etc as well as juice of course)...

Long story short, we are vegan for health reasons, not moral. That falls in line with the ability of diet to be about %5 from animal products if desired. Although we haven't really, it means when we are with friends or places that are not as vegan friendly, we do not freak out, and just eat as close to it as possible.

For me, when it came down to it, when my best-friend/other half/wife says, "if this can help you, and me, live a longer healthier life, we should do it" how could I say no? She also said, "If I got cancer today, we'd go vegan tomorrow, so why not start today!"

Our family has terrible cancer histories and heart disease, so even though there is no %100 solution, if there is a way to minimize the risk, we are going to do it. Being with each other, and with our children (and future generations) matter. And I say this, as my father died 15 years ago at the age of 56, never meeting my wife, or his grandchildren.

Bottom line- Watch it! If you don't step away and it does not cause you to think about things differently, either you are already on this path, or the facts are too sobering you don't want to face them! :)

:mug:

I am peering over the edge of the abyss......lol. Not cancer, but pondering not buying any more meat.

Dairy was the blindside for me. Never would have guessed that dairy was cancer's friend, although a little voice inside always said that meat was hiding some evil things.

Lol......might not take it that far. and a small percentage of dairy in mice caused no cancer. so cheese will be my exception.

Not trying to be a naysayer as I agree with a lot of the film...like this blogger. However, I did read some of the studies dissected by this review and she has some very good points on how the story was twisted to make their points. A VERY good counterpoint read for those of you who are into the science.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

That being said, I do not cut meat out of my diet. My biggest beef with the food industry is the processed foods. Even "whole grain" bread is laced with high fructose corn syrup. We try to cut HFCS and other processed foods out. We eat a lot of rice, beans, veggies, fish, other meats, etc. We make our own treats and snacks. Avoid most frozen foods. I've felt much better just cutting out processed foods and all the crap they put in them.

Not trying to be a naysayer as I agree with a lot of the film...like this blogger. However, I did read some of the studies dissected by this review and she has some very good points on how the story was twisted to make their points. A VERY good counterpoint read for those of you who are into the science.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

That being said, I do not cut meat out of my diet. My biggest beef with the food industry is the processed foods. Even "whole grain" bread is laced with high fructose corn syrup. We try to cut HFCS and other processed foods out. We eat a lot of rice, beans, veggies, fish, other meats, etc. We make our own treats and snacks. Avoid most frozen foods. I've felt much better just cutting out processed foods and all the crap they put in them.

Even frozen veggies and seafood? Those 2 are damned near necesities for me.

I read her blog posts, and very detailed and intriguing stuff. However, a field experienced Phd with peer reviewed research also had very detailed intriguing stuff! ;)

FOK was not the only factor in my decision, just one of many pieces.

But, I fully agree... the "food machine" is probably the largest killer overall. When my grandparents ate a steak, my grandfather had raised it. When my mother drank milk as a child, she milked the cow (or goat) herself, when it had naturally been impregnated and given birth... When by and large the majority of packaged foods we consume contain traces of (predominantly genetically modified) corn, albeit under varied names and derivations through heavy processing, we have issues.

Thank good for me, beer is vegan! :cross:

:mug:

Yeah, great article. a grain of salt and it is all good information.

Moderation is what it all comes to.....and the elimination of processed foods.

If the beer your drinking has any of this stuff in it, it' not really vegan!

Here is a list of the most common animal products that are used in brewing:

•Isinglass – Clarifier that is very common in brewing. Comes from the dried swim bladders of fish. Almost all cask conditioned ale uses isinglass as a clarifier, although it is more common in England than the U.S.
•Gelatin – Clarifier obtained from the skin, connective tissue, and bones of animals. Typically taken from cattle and frozen pigskin.
•Casein/Potassium Caseinate – Protein found in cow milk used as a clarifier.
•Charcoal – Used for filtering. A portion is usually produced from animal bones.
•Diatomaceous earth – Used in filtering. Comes from fossils or sea shells.
•Insects – Made into dyes and used for coloring.
•Glyceryl monostearate – Animal derived substance used to control foam.
•Pepsin – Also used to control foam; it is sometimes derived from pork.
•White sugar – Flavor additive often whitened using bone charcoal.
•Albium – Refers to any protein that is water soluble. Most common type in brewing is serum albumin, which is taken from animal blood.
•Lactose – Beers labeled as sweet, milk, or cream stouts may or may not contain lactose. Sometimes the description refers to the texture and not the ingredient. It’s best to double check these to be sure. Milk chocolate is common in certain styles, but some so-called “chocolate” porters or stouts actually contain no real chocolate at all. Some malted barley is called “chocolate malt” simply to describe the flavor the roasting imparts.

Nope, I'm good! Don't use that stuff in the beer I drink :mug:

•Isinglass – Clarifier that is very common in brewing. Comes from the dried swim bladders of fish. Almost all cask conditioned ale uses isinglass as a clarifier, although it is more common in England than the U.S.
•Gelatin – Clarifier obtained from the skin, connective tissue, and bones of animals. Typically taken from cattle and frozen pigskin.
•Charcoal – Used for filtering. A portion is usually produced from animal bones.
•Albium – Refers to any protein that is water soluble. Most common type in brewing is serum albumin, which is taken from animal blood.
•Lactose – Beers labeled as sweet, milk, or cream stouts may or may not contain lactose. Sometimes the description refers to the texture and not the ingredient. It’s best to double check these to be sure. Milk chocolate is common in certain styles, but some so-called “chocolate” porters or stouts actually contain no real chocolate at all. Some malted barley is called “chocolate malt” simply to describe the flavor the roasting imparts.

I need to watch the documentary. I am a dieticians worst nightmare. Tons of junk food, cook with butter, drink beer and soda, yet I am healthier than almost anyone I know. Just the luck of the draw chaps.

Just read this entire thing. I suggest everyone who saw the documentary (Forks Over Knives) read this as well. We should all know better than to take a movie/documentary as 100% cold-hard scientific fact.

riverfrontbrewer said:

........you missed the point.

I need to watch the documentary. I am a dieticians worst nightmare. Tons of junk food, cook with butter, drink beer and soda, yet I am healthier than almost anyone I know. Just the luck of the draw chaps.

You think the outside reflects the inside?

kaconga said:

Bet I'm in better shape, better looking, and better health. All the more reason to be happier and live longer.

I had cancer and beat it twice, I eat well (avoid fast food unless absolutely necessary, generally don't eat out but once a week, eat non processed organic food, etc.) however I watched the documentary for all of about 15 minutes. It was obvious from the start the agenda of the entire documentary was to get people to stop eating meat entirely. I enjoy eating meat and you can eat healthy yet still eat meat. I never gave the documentary a second chance after realizing why it was made.

I think the biggest take away I have learned after reading all about various diets (paleo, vegan, warrior, abs, mediteranean, etc) and listening to the back and forth on cholesterol, eggs, vitamins is that no one knows jack about how our complex bodies use and process its food or what its capable of.

I look at how our food supply has changed over the last 50 years in which obesity and increasing health issues have come to light and figure, how do I try to go back and copy more of an unadulterated diet. For example, humans have been eating grains and meats since the dawn of civilization. We are biologically herbivores...but what has changed? Big Ag, processed food, CONVENIENCE foods. That's my issue. Not a 100% observer of local, or unprocessed foods ( I still love my ice cream and frozen pizzas!), but my family and I do what we can.

Another good documentary that touches on food, but is more of a historical theory on human expansion is Guns, Germs, and Steel. Highly recommended.

But you look like the devil.

Your point?

(seen ugly americans? Twayne is AWESOME and he knows it)

I think the biggest take away I have learned after reading all about various diets (paleo, vegan, warrior, abs, mediteranean, etc) and listening to the back and forth on cholesterol, eggs, vitamins is that no one knows jack about how our complex bodies use and process its food or what its capable of.

I look at how our food supply has changed over the last 50 years in which obesity and increasing health issues have come to light and figure, how do I try to go back and copy more of an unadulterated diet. For example, humans have been eating grains and meats since the dawn of civilization. We are biologically herbivores...but what has changed? Big Ag, processed food, CONVENIENCE foods. That's my issue. Not a 100% observer of local, or unprocessed foods ( I still love my ice cream and frozen pizzas!), but my family and I do what we can.

Another good documentary that touches on food, but is more of a historical theory on human expansion is Guns, Germs, and Steel. Highly recommended.

Will check that out!

I was not referring to looks btw. My numbers are all in the healthy range. Every test ever done came back not just fine but doing great. My blood pressure is textbook every time. It isn't like I never eat greens. I just put bacon bits on them.

How old are you Kaconga?, not a competition, just saying, I was the same. Eat anything, never gain weight, triglycerides etc. look great.

At about 36 I developed a slight tummy and became aware that apparently healthy fit males are still capable of dropping dead with no notice at any point.

Now back to trim and good, but acutely aware that I want to live longer than my grandfather did.

I've watched a bunch if docs, read articles etc. And my wife and I eat as fresh and healthy as possible. We grow what we can, and what we purchase is as fresh, local, and unprocessed as we can get. We rarely eat out (maybe 1-2 times per month on average), and have cut the majority of sugary crap out of our diets.
We do still eat meat, and I generally cook our meals for quality and flavor instead of sprouts and tofurkey.

I believe moderation is key in all things.

cheezydemon3 said:
How old are you Kaconga?, not a competition, just saying, I was the same. Eat anything, never gain weight, triglycerides etc. look great.

At about 36 I developed a slight tummy and became aware that apparently healthy fit males are still capable of dropping dead with no notice at any point.

Now back to trim and good, but acutely aware that I want to live longer than my grandfather did.

I am 29 and on the lookout for the metabolic slowdown that typically occurs in the 30s. Part of my benefit is I work in a warehouse lifting and stacking 30k lbs of freight 5 days a week. I also hike in the summer and shovel snow in the winter. I just don't get caught up on food stuff.

I don't think I could do the no meat thing honestly. It takes a large effort to make sure you are getting enough b vitamins on a vegan diet. B12 deficiency leads to dementia and if not caught in time can be irreversible. It is rare but happens. Just like cancer is rare but happens.

There's no substitute for exercise & general fitness, but the food stuff matters...perhaps more than any other factor to one's health.. How it matters is debatable, but it matters.

Ummm... No.
If you look at the way our teeth have evolved we are omnivores. Name one herbivore who has canine teeth

Hippopotamus, although they're more like tusks.

Humans are most definitely omnivores as indicated by our dentition. (Some of us are "om-nom-nomnivores" as indicated by their waists :D)

And yeah, hippos have canines but can only be called canines by the strictest of definitions. They aren't used for tearing meat for food... they're used for fighting and sexual selection.

As far as the main topic, I haven't seen the film but I've heard enough about it to assume it's just an anti-meat flick. Food, Inc., on the other hand, has made SWMBO and I do everything we can to buy free-range meats (organic and grass-fed if possible) and organic vegetables. Heck, you can buy almost anything organic and healthy... canned goods, pastas, dairy, even microwavable meals (Amy's is awesome!) We've also recently really gotten into juicing to get a lot of raw veggies. I've nailed down an amazing tasting recipe (actually good, not just "good for green juice".)

Since we've eliminated 99% of our fast-food intake and taken the aforementioned steps, we've never felt better. And lucky for us our grocery stores carry locally-grown organic veggies and locally raised free range meats. Plus, since the demand for that kind of food is high in the area it's really driven down the prices.

Plus, since the demand for that kind of food is high in the area it's really driven down the prices.

Now that's just solid economics right there.

(I get your implications though...+ demand --> + competition, + supply --> - price)

The trend these days is for the big ag companies to start labeling things organic too. We'll have to be on the lookout for actual organic, food. I like the farmer's markets and CSA's since you can inquire about the farm itself.

The trend these days is for the big ag companies to start labeling things organic too. We'll have to be on the lookout for actual organic, food. I like the farmer's markets and CSA's since you can inquire about the farm itself.

And a farmer never lies........;)

Working on that, too. Our bell peppers and squash plants have several fruits on them almost ready to go!

Wow, cool! Ours have a long way to go still. Our tomatoes are just ripening though...with fresh basil. YUM.

Awesome! If we had an actual house and a backyard, we'd probably be self-sufficient as far as produce goes. And SWMBO grew up with livestock so a little chicken coop just for eggs would probably happen, too. But our little townhouse porch has enough room for only a few pots. There needs to be room left for the BBQ and brewing space for the propane burner when it's brewday.

Just remember, grass uses too much water and is essentially pointless.

Grow food, not lawns!
growfoodnotlawns.jpg

That is absolutely beautiful. Are those nasturtiums in the front?

Where's the applause gif when I need it!

Cheezy - sorry for the massive OT here. But come on, that picture is worth it.

Back