My first grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski08

Reaction score
After having an average efficiency rating of 65% for my last 5 batches and numerous attempts of manipulating a single variable in my mash process, I finally decided to buy a Barley Crusher with a 15 lbs hopper.

My LHBS refuses to double crush my grains, and they will not tell me the setting at which they crush at. I would go to another LHBS, but it's the only one nearby.

Wish me luck! (and tell me your successful increases in efficiency with the purchase of your grain mill so I feel better about spending the $150 :D)

You will no doubt get an increase in efficiency, assuming you are not getting a good crush from the LHBS. Sounds to me like you LHBS probably has their gap set pretty wide, knowing they can get a few extra bucks in grain sales. That is pretty lame they wont let you run it through twice. I wouldn't shop there if I could avoid it.

Sounds good. I am sure you will get at least consistency in your efficiency, probably an increase also.

You can also save quite a bit of money by buying in bulk. When I buy online I buy extra so I have grains on hand and can brew on a whim. That is, if I have some yeast ready from my frozen yeast bank.

I got a corona style mill for Christmas so it cost nothing and my efficiency has been consistent in the mid 70s. When I do everything else right I get very close to predicted gravities.

Sounds good. I am sure you will get at least consistency in your efficiency, probably an increase also.

You can also save quite a bit of money by buying in bulk. When I buy online I buy extra so I have grains on hand and can brew on a whim. That is, if I have some yeast ready from my frozen yeast bank.

I got a corona style mill for Christmas so it cost nothing and my efficiency has been consistent in the mid 70s. When I do everything else right I get very close to predicted gravities.

i would love to hit the mid 70s consistently.

i would like to start bulk ordering, but unfortunately, i do not have a scale yet to measure out my grains any suggestions for a cheap scale?

I got my scale for 25 bucks at target. It is analog and has an 11lb limit. It takes a few pitchers full of rain to finish my weighing but thats all of 10min...

Getting a grain mill was one of the best investments I have made. I decided I would work on making the investments to make brewing cheaper. I ordered hops from fresh hops, bulk for some varieties but enough of others to offset the shipping costs and get it under 2 bucks an oz. I started washing yeast and I got a place to get grain for 36 bucks a bag. But besides it allowing me to keep stuff in bulk my efficiency jumped to 80%!!

The ability to buy in bulk, thanks to owning a grain mill, will not only save you money per batch but also gives you a WONDERFUL feeling of freedom! You will be free to tweak your recipes up until just before you brew, and you will be free to brew (or not brew) as your schedule permits. It is a great thing :)

After having an average efficiency rating of 65% for my last 5 batches and numerous attempts of manipulating a single variable in my mash process, I finally decided to buy a Barley Crusher with a 15 lbs hopper.

My LHBS refuses to double crush my grains, and they will not tell me the setting at which they crush at. I would go to another LHBS, but it's the only one nearby.

Wish me luck! (and tell me your successful increases in efficiency with the purchase of your grain mill so I feel better about spending the $150 :D)

Is this the policy of the owner/manager? Should that be the case I am not usually a person whom would normally suggest buying all of your brewing supplies online but if this is your LHBS idea of customer service I would fire them.

Is this the policy of the owner/manager? Should that be the case I am not usually a person whom would normally suggest buying all of your brewing supplies online but if this is your LHBS idea of customer service I would fire them.

it's the policy of the owner of the place. i would be one to complain, but the man has offered me some great advice. my LHBS is connected to a brew pub/pizza restaurant, and the owner is the brew master. great beer i must add.

when buying in bulk, do you guys normally just purchase barley and other base malts?

Latest posts

Back