Condensation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilroy

Reaction score
Hey all,

My converted Chest Freezer that I use for kegerator produces a great deal of condensation that obviously puddles up in the bottom of the kegs.

What do you guys use to absorb the stuff (ie. to stop the puddles before they start)

I know there are products that people use in their basements and stuff. Those however - atleast the ones that I have looked at are very pricey.

I would prefer a cheaper method to pulling all the kegs out once a week to mop up the water.

My drain hole is too high to drain out the water that way - I have thought about that too.

Any suggestions?

Kilroy

I'm dealing with condensation issues of my own w/my Sanyo 4912 conversion. I'm wondering if the extreme condensation means there is a poor seal on the door (or in your case the lid). I'd like to cure the problem vs. mopping/sopping the result...

There is some stuff that is a moisture absorbant, sold in West Marine and other boat supply type places, might help your situation, not sure if it's economical, though.

Guess I'm lucky. My new kegger has the drain hole in the bottom and I set it in a water heater pan. Water drains out and I just sponge it out.

You could get a few large sponges and put them on strings. Leave them resting on the bottom between the kegs and wring them out as needed. Not a perfect solution, but cheap & easy.

this has been discussed on here before and someone suggested Damprid sold at home depot and lowes. i have a huge problem with condensation in my freezer which i think is poor lid seals and the temp changes (my garage is around 90+ degrees during the day)

im rebuilding my freezer and sealing up any air leaks with caulk and weather stripping.

but back to the question at hand! DAMPRID i bought two small buckets lastnight for like 4$ and a refill box for another $4 bucks. ill just see how long it takes it to use them up. i was going to try desicant gel packs (we get parts packed with 3-4 good size bags) but i dont think they would work that well with so much moisture in the freezer.

Indeed - Damprid is in my local HomeDepot - $3 for the 42oz tub. Guess I know where I am going.

Thank you

Kilroy

Back