Beer against allergy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredstein

Reaction score
I live in Central Texas, and cedar allergy (aka cedar fever) is a big thing here. Many people suffer from it in winter, and when you are done with the juniper, there is always something in blossom around that makes your life miserable. Sometime ago I have heard from somebody or read somewhere that homebrew fights allergies because of a bunch of some B-vitamins which are found in the yeast. Not sure whether it is just another urban legend, but this past summer I brew my first batch, and since then I have been drinking mostly my own beer. Maybe bought two-three 6-pacs total when I ran out of homebrew between the batches :) And I can definitely say that this winter I feel much better than for the past ten years. Is it just me? A simple coincidence? Has anybody experienced anything similar?

I heard that allergies could be reduced by using local honey. Maybe add a little honey at the end and try that for a while.

Actually it is def true that various vitamins & trace elements are good for preventing or diminishing the effects of various maladies. Brewer's yeast is expensive at the health food store. All we have to do is drink home brew. It contains B-complex & some different kind of protiens that are good for you. I forget what else. Dang,I wish I could remember the site I read that on. Maybe look & see if I saved the link?...

I heard that allergies could be reduced by using local honey. Maybe add a little honey at the end and try that for a while.

Well, I eat only local Texas honey, but I wouldn't say it is doing anything allergy-wise. It is just tasty, that's it... :)

I watched a thing on Egyptians and beer on the history or discovery channels. They found that they way they brewed beer created tetracycline. Together with all the B vitamins, made it almost impossible for anyone to get sick.

Yeah,it was the history of beer from the discovery channel on youtube. The Egyptian mummies were being studied under electron microscopes. One of the scientists found high concentrations of Tetracycline in the bodies. They then brewed the same ale in the same way,& presto! The monument workers were paid in beer by this card size clay tablet noting how many jugs of beer the person had earned. Kind of a flintstone debit card. Cool.:rockin:

I hope we don't have to read another research claiming that mummies were young people who died as a result of too much tetracycline. Keep brewing!

It's basically a naturally occuring anti bacterial. Naturally occuring,that is,when certain things happen together. The scientific world was rocked when they were forced to realize that modern man didn't invent it in the 1930's I think it was. Cool stuff that we thought we did.

Hey, if beer can fight off strep, it'll save me hundreds in copays (I have 4 kids and seems like at least one person in the house has it all winter some years). The Drs around here make you come in 2 or 3 times before they will even do a throat culture to see if you have strep.

Back