Acid Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I'm about to pick some wild grapes, (mustang grapes) tomorrow, They are very acidic, but make good jelley and wine. Can I adjust the acidity later, at what point should I check, and what would be the best thing to add to bring it down if its to high?
Thanks!

Test before adding yeast! Potassium BiCarbonate will bring the acid down. You could have some issues with a stuck fermentation or it may not start at all if the acid level is too high. If you don't have any, get some litmus papers (PH strips), they are cheap and followthe directions on the Potassium BiCarbonate package. It usually runs about $4.25 for 4 oz. Just try to get the PH between the 3.8-3.4 and you should be good.
:mug:

3.4 to 3.8 is still pretty acidic right, with 7 being neutral? So just to be sure, I want to get my must like I want it, test with the ph paper adjust with the Potassium BiCarbonate until the strips are 3.4 to 3.8....Thats it right? Should I test again later on in the fermentation?
Thanks for the help
Dark_Ale

Once you get your PH in the ZONE it should not change. However, different grapes act different. I know, this is one of those, Oh great, responses! All brews need a bit of acidy to give that body and flavor that would otherwise leave a very bland juice.

If I make a wine with high acid fruits i will test the ph before adding yeast and when I rack to the secondary and remove the fruit. I also quit using acid blends in my Meads as they would stick in a couple months and then I would need to adjust the PH and repitch. So just test after the fruit is removed.
:mug:

Back