Specific gravity after brewing and after priming.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamant

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knew what the difference in specific gravity is before and after priming to get the proper carbonation level? I am planning on priming some cider with apple juice so I want to know what to aim for.

Thanks.

If you are wondering how much the SG changes from finished beer versus after adding the priming sugar - the change is hardly measurable in my experience. I added 2.2 ounces to prime 4.5 gallons last night and my 1.016 was reading 1.016 after priming. I ended up measuring the SG with the dregs in the bucket for the hell of it. It's such a small amount of fermentable.

I think I'll just keep trying them until I hit the carb I want then pasteurize them. I wouldn't mind some extra sweetness.

Hopefully I won't blow any up this time :/

Adament, we're not quite grasping what you're asking. When I read your thread I thought like jimthehick thought, and were asking how much gravity changes when you add the 4.5-5 oz of priming sugar. Which is insignificant...like .0003% to the abv iirc.

We're just not quite sure what you are asking or looking to do. Maybe if you're a little clearer we can help you.

5.5 ounces of dextrose in 5 gallons adds about 2 gravity points (both by the math and my experience) which has an alcohol potential of approximately 0.25%

Revvy said:
Adament, we're not quite grasping what you're asking. When I read your thread I thought like jimthehick thought, and were asking how much gravity changes when you add the 4.5-5 oz of priming sugar. Which is insignificant...like .0003% to the abv iirc.

We're just not quite sure what you are asking or looking to do. Maybe if you're a little clearer we can help you.

That is what I was asking.

Thanks guys, I guess since the SG doesn't change much that wouldn't be the best measure to go by.

Like I said, I am planning on adding some juice then pasteurizing it to prevent over carb and keep a little sweetness.

I guess I was hoping for a simple guideline to go by. Maybe I will try to wrap my head around the first link posted.

Thanks for the responses.

Back