Immersion chiller idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gomb

Reaction score
I ordered an immersion chiller yesterday. I was thinking of wrapping it in a nylon paint strainer bag when i put it in the last part of the boil so that i could siphon out of the middle and leave all the hop particulates and such behind. The question is will this mess up the utilization of late addition hops and such?

someone else around here does that ... i can't remember who, though. ed wort maybe? but you don't have to put the bag in the boil. after the wort cools, pull the IC out, place in bag, reinsert, put autosiphon or racking cane inside bag/IC, rack away.

haven't tried it myself but seems like it'd work well.

Cool, i didnt think i would have been the first one to try that, was also worried about maybe melting the bag if it hung out in the boil. mmmmm melted nylon beer yumminess!

I lot of people use those paint strainers as a hop bag to add their hops throughout the entire boil process. I wouldn't worry about it melting.

I have read that some think if the hops are not moving around enough, then the bag itself picks up some of the stickiness of the oils in the hops, your IBU's are going to be low. My self, instead of making the planned hop bag, I am thinking to line the funnel going into the fermenter with sterilized strainers. I have four strainers so I can switch them out if clogged. I have installed valves on my pots so I don't want to siphon.

I have tried the funnel lining before and it clogs fast. Then you have to wait for the wort to drain through, clean the strainer and repeat. I wont be doing that again.

I am thinking to line the funnel going into the fermenter with sterilized strainers. I have four strainers so I can switch them out if clogged. I have installed valves on my pots so I don't want to siphon.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! All that mucking about is just the thing airborne bacteria, mold, and wild yeast are waiting for. I don't think that trub/hops removal is important enough to risk infecting an entire batch, not to mention it sounds like a HUGE hassle. I would suggest dumping everything in unless you have a way to rack wort off the trub/hops in the kettle (SS racking cane, kettle ball valve, etc.). Get your cooled wort into the fermenter as quickly as possible with as little contact with the outside world as possible.
:mug:

Back