American Strong Ale Arrogant Bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big is your kettle? You'll need a fairly large kettle to brew AG, especially this recipe with all that volume pre-boil. You may want to look into building a picnic cooler mash tun (or mash tun design of your choice) before diving into AG. It'll be very hard to both mash and boil in the same kettle, especially if the kettle is smaller than 30 quarts. That's the size of my kettle and sometimes just isn't big enough.

26 quarts. Ya that probably won't work.

What about....using 6-7 bottling bucket as mash tun? Or is it not well-enough insulated...

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Last question I swear!

I converted this to a PM partial boil since I can't do a full boil either and it came out pretty danged close.

Oh yea, a 6.5 gallon boil pot isn't nearly enough for AG. It might work for some other, lesser recipes but not this one :D. Sometimes when I want more malt flavor and/or a lighter beer I halve the 2 row and call it the Irritant Bastard. I have a converted keg and turkey fryer for my boiler, and I highly recommend it. You get to play with fire and boil-overs just get hosed off.

That said, I need to make this one again. I have enough grains to make 25 gallons, I need to get started!

growmegrapes

I cant do all grain yet so I switched the 2 row to LME (11.5 lbs) and steeped the specialty grains in a bag. I also retained about 10 grams of the last chinook addition for dry-hopping in secondary (5 days) Looks and smells just like the real deal, I cant wait!

I just drank a bottle of the oaked version and I would say the hop character was floral with a background of pine, I've never used chinook but the wiki says it's spicy? As far as malt character I'd say toasty and caramel with a bit of toffee in the background, so I would tend towards no special b.

Edit: Guess I should clarify, maybe 120 but probably no 150.

growmegrapes

I cant do all grain yet so I switched the 2 row to LME (11.5 lbs) and steeped the specialty grains in a bag. I also retained about 10 grams of the last chinook addition for dry-hopping in secondary (5 days) Looks and smells just like the real deal, I cant wait!

OMFG!!!! Your carboy is going to explode, lol.

- OMFG!!!! Your carboy is going to explode, lol. -

Yeah i made a blowoff tube out of my siphon hose and put the end in a 10" cookie 1/2 full of water. I pitched an hour before the superbowl and when it was over, there was about 2 inches of foam in the carboy. it blew up so bad that night that the next morning it overflowed my cookie jar all over the counter with foam and wort. I woke up like YEEEAAAHHH! but the wife was pissed! "look at all this!" "it stinks in here!" lol just bottled sunday night 2/21. would anyone recommend aging or will it be close right away?

I am drinking this after 2.5 weeks in the bottle and it's easily the best beer I have made. It's not really like an Arrogant Bastard, but it's damn good.

Anyone tried adding another hop addition of 1/2 oz at 20 minutes and throwing 1/2 oz in at flame out? Think it would be a bit more arrogant.

Anyone tried adding another hop addition of 1/2 oz at 20 minutes and throwing 1/2 oz in at flame out? Think it would be a bit more arrogant.

Mine is such a smooth drinker that I wouldn't tinker too much. Maybe a flame out addition or a dry hop to add a tad more nose.

Jamil did a radio show on cloning this beer and the first thing he established was that THIS recipe is not even close. Boy, this is a good beer though.

You'll need a fairly large kettle to brew AG

You can partial boil AG batches as long as you maintain reasonable mash thickness. Your efficiency will take a hit, especially if you don't sparge, but it can be done with good results.
For a 1.084 beer it will be difficult to pull off. I do 5-gallon boils in my 5.5 gal kettle and usually start adding DME if the expected OG exceeds 13.5 Plato - and that is really pushing the limits of what my equipment can handle. For a 26-qt kettle, you can probably push this to about 14.5 Plato.

I am oaking this with oak cubes. I have heard that I have to let it sit for as many as 3 months. i plan to taste as I go but for those that use oak cubes what is the minimum that you let it sit before bottling or kegging?

Thanks
Z

oak cubes? I would check the flavor once a week at most. Cubes impart oak flavor slower than chips, but 3 months seems like way too long to me.

Is arrogant Bastard dry hopped? I have the grains coming form my clone, but am wondering about dry hopping...I bet it would make a good thing even better.

Also, I have pacman, nottingham and US-05 all available. I am leaning towards US-05..I think pacman may be a little too attenuative. I just had it take a 1.095 stout mashed at 155 down to 1.017!

AB is not dry-hopped.

When I brewed this I did dry-hop it, next time I brew this I'll dry hop again. I've used both Pac Man and Notty, I won't use Notty again for this recipe again (my preferences for doing this may be unrelated to the yeast strain, I dunno). If you use US-05, report back.

:mug:

AB is not dry-hopped.

When I brewed this I did dry-hop it, next time I brew this I'll dry hop again. I've used both Pac Man and Notty, I won't use Notty again for this recipe again (my preferences for doing this may be unrelated to the yeast strain, I dunno). If you use US-05, report back.

I will start making up a large US-05 starter tonight, and brew it up this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few months.

no dry hop...

AB is not dry-hopped.

I'm going to be brewing this on Sunday and pitching with a US-05 yeast cake. I'll let you know how it ends up.

Just brewed this up. Pitched about a pint of US-05 slurry into 7 gallons with OG of 1.064. Sitting at 70F right now. I didn't boil off as much as I usually do. Was shooting for an OG of 1.074, which is more inline with Stone's recipe. I also used Golden Promise instead of US 2-Row. I use it in all my beers.

I'll let you know how it turns out with the US-05 and GP.

Just brewed this up. Pitched about a pint of US-05 slurry into 7 gallons with OG of 1.064. Sitting at 70F right now. I didn't boil off as much as I usually do. Was shooting for an OG of 1.074, which is more inline with Stone's recipe. I also used Golden Promise instead of US 2-Row. I use it in all my beers.

I'll let you know how it turns out with the US-05 and GP.

Golden Promise is just going to kick it up another notch....I am sure it will be quite tasty. I am actually shooting for 1.075-1.080 on mine, and I have a US-05 cake that should be ready for this beer on Saturday.....I am going to mash at 154-155 and hope the US-05 calls her quits at about 1.018

Thinking about trying this. Downloaded the file to Beersmith and it gave an anticipated OG of 1.084, with 8.37% ABV. The Stone site gives an ABV of 7.2%. Do you have a low mash efficiency (adjusting to 65% gives an ABV of 7.22%) or is this clone really designed to rock out the alcohol like that?

Jason

Hey guys...

Love reading the different recipes and opinions of the beer. Just FYI, I posted a recipe and notes for the Can You Brew It show on Arrogant Bastard here. Feel free to chime in with your take on the recipe.

Personally, I really like the idea of about 90% 2-row 10% C-120 with all chinook hops. I want to brew this but I have about ten brews on the queue before there is an opening.

Eric

Hey guys...

Love reading the different recipes and opinions of the beer. Just FYI, I posted a recipe and notes for the Can You Brew It show on Arrogant Bastard here. Feel free to chime in with your take on the recipe.

Personally, I really like the idea of about 90% 2-row 10% C-120 with all chinook hops. I want to brew this but I have about ten brews on the queue before there is an opening.

Eric

I was listening to that podcast on my way to pick up these ingredients. Was kind of disappointed that they didn't give it a second shot.

I was listening to that podcast on my way to pick up these ingredients. Was kind of disappointed that they didn't give it a second shot.

They recently did a "re-brew" show and successfully cloned two beers that were previously not cloned. I bet that they will try the AB again, it just might take a little while.

Eric

Alright, I've read all 11 pages, and I've decided this will be my next brew. From the experienced guys who've brewed this before, what changes would you make primarily to the hopping schedule, but also to the grain bill?

I know AB isn't dry hopped, but I just can't see an IPA without that IN YO FACE aroma. Should I dry hop, if so, would 1oz be enough if I let it sit for 8-10 days?

Alright, I've read all 11 pages, and I've decided this will be my next brew. From the experienced guys who've brewed this before, what changes would you make primarily to the hopping schedule, but also to the grain bill?

I know AB isn't dry hopped, but I just can't see an IPA without that IN YO FACE aroma. Should I dry hop, if so, would 1oz be enough if I let it sit for 8-10 days?

I am brewing this tomorow, I am going go with the hops schedule and grain bill reccomended, but I am using two packs of rehydrated nottingham yeast, since it is a dry english yeast, and I think I am going to dry hop with an ounce of chinook and an ounce of cascade...what the heck!

I am shooting for 1.081 OG and mashing at 154, hoping that the nottingham chews it down to 1.018.....

I'd leave the grain bill alone. I dry-hopped with 1oz for last 5 days before bottling/kegging. 2oz won't hurt. I will stick with Pacman yeast for my next (3rd) batch though.

I'd leave the grain bill alone. I dry-hopped with 1oz for last 5 days before bottling/kegging. 2oz won't hurt. I will stick with Pacman yeast for my next (3rd) batch though.

Pacman yeast, is unreal. I have a bunch washed, but my starter wouldn't be ready by tomorow, so I am going with notty! I hope it works out.

The grain bill looks fantastic, I am sure sticking with it as well. My chinook is only 11.5 AA so I am going with this hop schedule.

1.25 oz at 60
1.25 oz at 45
1.25 oz at 2

Is everybody mashing at 154 like stone says?

Ok, I'll leave the grain alone, but my concern is that I know a lot of people said that it's not as in your face hoppy as the real deal. Should I up IBU'S or anything?

I'd up the IBU's, but then again I've only made this once and instead of dry hopping I added some oak chips. The bitterness is there, but I had the real deal for the first time in a year or so just a couple of weeks ago and I think with the higher OG of this recipe that some extra bittering hops are in order. Think I might brew this one again next week, as I was hoping to brew an IPA next but hadn't considered a recipe. Will post my variation when I brew next (I don't follow recipies, not even my own!)

Here is what I just brewed up:

6 gallon batch

16 pounds two row pale
1/2# caramunich
1/2# Special B
1/2#Aromatic
1/2# Biscuit
Mashed at 154 for 75 minutes

my chinooks are A/A %11.5

1.25 oz Chinook at 75 minutes
1.25 oz Chinook at 45 minutes
1.00 oz Chinook at 2 minutes
1.00 oz Chinook at 1 minute

I ended up with 6 gallons of 1.074 wort.
I cooled to 65 degrees and pitched two hydrated packs of nottingham
I had activity in the airlock after two hours, full on fermentation after 8 hours.
Today (2 days later) the fermenter is at 68 degrees and the smell coming out of the airlock is the most amazing I have ever smelled. Pine,Citrus, woods......I can't wait to drink this.

****UPDATE****

After three days of fermentation I am at 1.015 or so, yeast still in suspension but starting to flocculate. Sample was amazingly tasty, huge citrus prescense and very bitter. This is going to be a huge winner. Considering dry hop. I think so long as it stays above 1.010 it will be really tasty.

Just wanted to add that I brewed this clone tonight, but swapped the two row for British Pale because that's what I have. I cut it by two pounds, hit 88% efficiency on the stovetop with paint bags, and have six gallons of some fine-smelling beer-to-be sitting in a bucket being seduced by 22g of fresh Nottingham yeasties. OG came out at 1.082@70*F.

Can't WAIT 'til this one is finished!

So, a question from a newb who really wants to go to partial mash before "going all the way", but isn't quite ready yet...

I noticed the partial mash recipe in the thread, but was wondering if this could be converted to an extract that would still make an OK clone. A good friend loves AB and we have a heck of a time getting it locally + the cost. I'd like to surprise him with this, but want to make sure it would be a decent clone as an extract. Otherwise, this might just be the push I need to get me into the partial mash category. Any thoughts?

So, a question from a newb who really wants to go to partial mash before "going all the way", but isn't quite ready yet...

I noticed the partial mash recipe in the thread, but was wondering if this could be converted to an extract that would still make an OK clone. A good friend loves AB and we have a heck of a time getting it locally + the cost. I'd like to surprise him with this, but want to make sure it would be a decent clone as an extract. Otherwise, this might just be the push I need to get me into the partial mash category. Any thoughts?

I definitely recommend doing the partial mash (vs extract and steeping). It's really easy to do and it will only take about $50-$75 extra dollars to get the equipment (e.g. 5 gallon mash lauter tun and extra brew pot). Plus it's an easy step into the all grain brewing technique.

I used the following PM recipe based on others found in this thread and did it on my electric stovetop by doing a split boil. Used a 5 gal MLT and two brew pots. It heated up my apartment something awful, but I got it done.

Recipe: Brian's PM Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.083 SG
Estimated Color: 16.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 109.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 22.22 %
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.96 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 %
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 73.2 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 33.6 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (2 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.12 qt of water at 169.5 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
Added approx 1.75 oz of medium toast american oak chips to secondary for 14 days (chips soaked in Knob Creek Bourbon for approx 24 hours).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just racked to secondary last night and so far it tastes pretty damn good. I didn't have an AB to sample side by side, but it is definitely reminiscent of the brew - big, bold, aggressive. Looking forward to seeing how the oak chips affect the brew. My hopes are high.

Cheers!
BK

Thanks, BK...I'll have to take a look. The more I read, the more likely I am to do a partial mash. I'm just trying to figure out a good way to do it before taking the jump...then again, the best laid plans...:)

Just bottled mine up yesterday. OG was 1.075 and FG was 1.015 using rehydrated Notty.. Here are a couple of pics. I filled one clear bottle just for fun.

ABclone_004.JPG

ABclone_003.JPG

ABclone_006.JPG

So lately ive been drinking so much Arrogant, i decided it would be more fiscally responsible (and fun) to just brew it up myself.

Did this today and went fairly well considering my setup. Before today i had never done an AG brew with >13lbs grain bill. I have a converted 5 gallon rubbermaid/Igloo cooler with SS braid as my mashtun. I had to use a 1.0 qt/lb of grain ratio, and that was still pushing it beyond the limits.

The recipe i used today was the 13.5 lb 2row + 1.5 lb C120L grain bill. As i suspected the efficiency was pretty crappy @ 65% (i normally get 72-75% w/ 8-12lb grain bills). OG came out to 1.066 with ~5.2 Gallons.

Made a 1L starter of WLP001 and have had it on a stirplate for 8 hrs now. Will prolly pitch it later tonight.

Even though i did not hit my numbers very well, im still looking forward to what will surely be a delicious brew.

my setup

http://img837.imageshack.us/i/img0284z.jpg/

1st runnings

http://img685.imageshack.us/i/img0285sq.jpg/

deep red

http://img839.imageshack.us/i/img0288n.jpg/

because its only appropriate

http://img84.imageshack.us/i/img0290l.jpg/

my reason for needing to brew this regularly

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/img0291us.jpg/

action shot!

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/img0293q.jpg/

http://img831.imageshack.us/i/img0295g.jpg/

<3 beer

http://img833.imageshack.us/i/img0297f.jpg/

http://img714.imageshack.us/i/img0301eu.jpg/

fun brew day and will definately post back with my results and more pictures.

PS: hoping this will attenuate down to about 1.015ish

just wanted to say that this is the craziest fermentation of any beer ive made yet. made my standard 1L WLP001 starter.

this thing is blowing out of my Ale Pail even with 4 inches of headspace.

NUTS :fro:

just an update:

racked to secondary today after 16 days in primary (been really busy the past couple of days). upon opening the primary i got a really strong whiff of alcohol and hops (not necessarily a bad thing :drunk:). to my surprise, the WLP001 attenuated down to 1.010! if my calculations are correct thats nearly 85% attenuation :eek: i was hoping for more around 1.015 but i dont have a problem taking a little more alcohol. with an OG of 1.066, im left with a ~7.35% beer. fairly close to AB at 7.2%. my IBUs are about 86. dry hop addition of 1oz Chinook (11.8%AAU) will be left in for a week before i bottle this up in all 22s. :rockin:

the sample tasted great and i look forward to the final product. i will post back in a week with further results and hopefully some pictures.

Back