Wyeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the two major supplier of liquid yeast, the other being White Labs. They basically sell the same yeast strains, White Labs comes in a vial, Wyeast in a smack-pack.

not to steal the thread but im kinda green on yeast. used coopers from start and since it worked stuck with it. different lhb switched me to us 56/safale 11.5g. what can i expect?

Wy East is also a Native American name for Mt. Hood. Which just happens to be very close to Wyeast the yeast company.

LF - you will get similar results. Safale 56 will be slower to flocculate.

I have only brewed one beer and I just threw in the dry yeast that came with my kit. (It was "Safale US - 56" made by Fermentis)

My beer turned out great!! IMHO.

Does it really matter what kind of yeast I use?

How does the liquid yeast work??

Lastly, should I store my extra packs of yeast in the fridge?

Thanks for all the help of the experienced brewers

ethangray19 said:
I have only brewed one beer and I just threw in the dry yeast that came with my kit. (It was "Safale US - 56" made by Fermentis)

My beer turned out great!! IMHO.

Does it really matter what kind of yeast I use?

How does the liquid yeast work??

Lastly, should I store my extra packs of yeast in the fridge?

Thanks for all the help of the experienced brewers

yeast matters, differnt yeast produce different beers, liquid is slighty better then dry and Wyeast vs White labs (both liquid) is a preference kinda deal

same way dry yeast does except there is no need to rehydrate and you probably should make a starter if you use it too increase your cell count (but starters are not neccessary)

sure, cant hurt if ya keep them in the fridge and can only help, just dont freeze them unless they have been specially prepared

Different yeasts give different characteristics to beer. Some yeasts create certain flavors that are characteristic to specific beer types. For example, I'm making a hefeweizen. I want my beer to have the banana/clove taste that is common to this type, which is created by a specific kind of yeast. If I were to use the Nottingham ale yeast I used in my porter, I wouldn't get this flavor. So, I have to use a special kind of yeast used for this type of wheat beer.

david_42 said:
Wy East is also a Native American name for Mt. Hood. Which just happens to be very close to Wyeast the yeast company.
It's also the mountain pictured on the package.

I've done six batches of beer and I'd say the liquid yeast ferments faster and longer. I'm not sure if that's important or not, since I ferment each batch about three weeks, but it sure takes the anxiety out of wondering whether fermentation will take place.

Yes, the type of yeast does affect the taste or flavor of the beer.

always read the packing date on the smack pack so you know generaly when it should be full inflated and also read up on stater. they just help with getting your fermentation started quicker

Back