Carbonation limit of regular bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C4PNJ4ZZ

Reaction score
Seems like a common question, but I couldn't find it in the search.

I'm bottling a Golden Strong this weekend and I was wondering how many volumes of CO2 are safe for regular bottles. I have a decent cache of belgian and swing top bottles, but not enough for 5.5 gallons. I was thinking of batch priming to the limit of the regular bottles then adding a bit more sugar to each bottle that can take the higher volumes of CO2 (mostly larger 1L bottles).

I've noticed that carbonation makes a BIG difference in my enjoyment of the belgians that I've made in the past. I want to try to get it right this time, especially because the beer tastes ready out of the fermenter, which is rare for big beers i've done.

I have let root beer overcarb to insane levels in 1L and 2L bottles.

The pressure got so high that the bottom of the bottle and even the lid were bowed out. The bottles did not fail. I'm going to say that it's some stupid-high number like 8-12 volumes. I hope someone can chime in with a better answer.

Back