American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this on Sunday and pitched around 7pm...by 7am had some activity, by noon it was going hog wild (bubbling like mad) and continued through monday night. Oddly enough, when I checked it yesterday it was down to 1 bubble every 4 secs or so and krausen had dropped...huh?...it's only been two days? Can't be...

Ignore the airlock. It means NOTHING.

The yeast are dialed back, cleaning up after themselves, and finishing the job. Follow the original directions, let it ferment for at least 10 days, then take a hydro reading. The bubbles in the airlock mean NOTHING.

This I know...I was just surprised that the krausen had dropped within 48 hours of pitching. Strange.

Nottingham yeast is quite often finished with the major work in 24 hours. It's a machine. Be patient though, there is still cleanup work to be done. I always let my beers ferment 10 to 2 weeks before crash cooling.

Did this one again but with 1.5 oz Cascade FWH 0.25 oz. Cascade at 15 min. and 0.25 oz. Cascade at 5 min.

Simply amazing, brought the bitterness down just a tad, but the hop flavor and aroma is ten fold better than before.:mug:

Brewing this for my second AG. I brewed it for my 1st Ag too but terrible efficiency. This time will hope to hit 1.050 at min and if not bought a pound of extra light dry malt in case so I dont end up with a bitter 3.8% beer again. This was my 1st AG also, and thought I followed what I read in books and on here but somewhere something went wrong. Wish me luck!

This one takes the prize for fastest 5G batch to disappear....

Everybody loves it, the wife, all the relatives that normally are wine'ers. Even I like it although it is a little "light" but with the hot days we have right now.

And the darn thing just keeps getting better and better until it is all gone, and you sit there wishing you had more....

Got to get that extra batch going as the keg is getting might light, really fast.

I just kegged this and it came out bad, really bad. It tastes like soap. It was good after primary but bad after secondary. I'm thinking maybe I didn't rinse the secondary carboy good enough, :(

I left it on gas in my basement, any idea what could have caused this?

What did you use to clean and sanitize your secondary with?

You should have kegged it right after the primary. That's what I do. In the mean time, let it sit for a few weeks and see what happens.

Made this as a partial mash....all it taught me was that I didn't have the equipment to do even a partial mash, so I just went out and bought the stuff to go all grain :rockin: I'm going to fly-guy my MLT.

Tasted it after 2.5 weeks in the primary, and one week in the bottle. Pretty good, SWMBO likes it quite a bit. It's a tad sweet for me (most likely from not hitting my mashing temps, and getting non-fermentable sugars). I figure that it will calm down in a couple of weeks, but until then its still a very good beer; just a bit sweet.

Definitely a recipe that I'm going to have to try again!

Made this as a partial mash....all it taught me was that I didn't have the equipment to do even a partial mash, so I just went out and bought the stuff to go all grain :rockin: I'm going to fly-guy my MLT.

Tasted it after 2.5 weeks in the primary, and one week in the bottle. Pretty good, SWMBO likes it quite a bit. It's a tad sweet for me (most likely from not hitting my mashing temps, and getting non-fermentable sugars). I figure that it will calm down in a couple of weeks, but until then its still a very good beer; just a bit sweet.

Definitely a recipe that I'm going to have to try again!

Congrats on the "pretty good" batch AND going AG.

What did you use to clean and sanitize your secondary with?

You should have kegged it right after the primary. That's what I do. In the mean time, let it sit for a few weeks and see what happens.

I use walmart brand oxyclean and then I rinse them well before storing them in boxes. Before use I rinse again with real hot water and then sanitize with star san. I did 3 different batches at the same time and the other two are good. I was just guessing that maybe the carboy wasn't rinsed good enough since it has a soap like taste. I usually go from primary to keg but I was short on empty kegs so I put it in a secondary for awhile until I had a keg freed up.

Im brewing this on Sat for my first all grain batch. Ill post back later on how everything goes. Ed, What do you have your barley crusher set at? Cheers!

Paul

I tapped my keg of haus pale (my very first batch of homebrew) over the weekend. It turned out great! I bought S-04 by accident, but I'm really impressed with how good this beer is. It seems to get better every day too. I think I'll be making this recipe regularly.

I have a killer partial mash similar to this recipe. It's pretty much the most basic partial mash APA you can do. The only issue with mine is I use hopped LME which a lot of people don't use. If anyone wants it, they can PM me. I'm sure it doesn't come close to comparing to EdWort's, but it's good if you can brew indoors. It also costs close to $40 if you're not buying bulk.

Brewed the exact AG recipe this morning started at 9:00am and was finished, cleanup and all by 2:00pm. My OG reading was 1.050, I think I did alright. The hydrometer tasted sweet and the very end I would get a bitter bite. All in all I think this is going to be fantastic.

Question for you bottlers out there, what timeline do you follow? I've got a big camping trip coming up July 6th through the 10th and was hoping I'd be able to bring this batch up there. I'm thinking 10 days in the primary then straight to bottles for the following two weeks. I understand the beer will still be very green, but I'm willing to bet it's going to taste like heaven to a bunch of thirsty campers. What does everyone think?

Thanks for the recipe Ed, I'm already preparing to brew this again in the very near future.

Curt

Brewed the exact AG recipe this morning started at 9:00am and was finished, cleanup and all by 2:00pm. My OG reading was 1.050, I think I did alright. The hydrometer tasted sweet and the very end I would get a bitter bite. All in all I think this is going to be fantastic.

Question for you bottlers out there, what timeline do you follow? I've got a big camping trip coming up July 6th through the 10th and was hoping I'd be able to bring this batch up there. I'm thinking 10 days in the primary then straight to bottles for the following two weeks. I understand the beer will still be very green, but I'm willing to bet it's going to taste like heaven to a bunch of thirsty campers. What does everyone think?

Thanks for the recipe Ed, I'm already preparing to brew this again in the very near future.

Curt

I follow the 1,2,3 rule (1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle) but many seem to cut this short on the lighter beers without too much trade off in taste. Campers in the hot sun shouldn't care.

Curt

I brewed this as my first AG and had the exact same OG as you (1.050). We bottled it after 13 days in the primary (close to the 10 you are suggesting) and it tasted good after two weeks in the bottle. We weren't diving into it after two weeks, we were just curious. It's now been in the bottle five weeks and it's very good. This beer doesn't have much hop aroma or hop flavor, but I don't think this recipe is supposed to have much of those two qualities. This beer is balanced and tastes great. My hombrew friends thought we used some finings due to the clarity, but we didn't.

I think your plan will work out fine. As you stated, it will be a little green, but it will still be good for campers.

I did this for a second time this weekend and came up a 1/2 gal short again :( I did hit a 1.052 OG

Going to try it again in the near future and see if I can add a 3/4 of a gal to the sparge to get a final of 5 gals.

Thanks for the tips fellow bottlers!

I checked the fermenter this morning and had some fairly standard activity in the airlock, nothing I haven't seen before. I just got home from work approx. 30 minutes ago and the airlock is just plain going crazy, I've never had one of my beers bubble this fast.

Curt

Just wanted to say I love this beer and It is always on tap in my house. Just added 10 more gallons of this to my pipeline this weekend. Also this beer ferments like a madman! I'm currently listening to the rapid-fire of the blowoff, it has been like this all day.:mug:

I brewed this up on Saturday as my first all grain batch. Everything went awesome. I hit all my numbers except i ended up with right at 5 gal in the carboy instead of 5.5 . I think i just had the burner on too high. The Nottingham started doing its thing within 5 hours. Overall a great brew day, now i am just waiting to taste it. Cheers!

OK this is my second AG and did this beer twice. First time got 1.040. This time, although temp may have been a bit high when I took reading got 1.020 pre boil with about 6.5 - 7 gal. I added 1 cup sugar and 1 lb extra light DME. Got 1.040 added a cup and a half of pure maple syrup.... after boil hit my 1.050. I'm REALLY hoping this is drinkable. My efficiency sucks so bad. MAYBE it would have been 1.040 again at 5 gallons... but not 1.050 being I ended with that when I boiled for an hour and a half to get it down to 5 gals. I follow the 163 strike to a 152 hour mash.... stirred very well... runnings stayed cloudy... no clue what to fix next time.... lost.

Doing this up this weekend as my second AG.

Ten days in the primary then secondary or into bottles? I know, check the hydrometer...
I'm just curious what others are doing, that are bottling. and how long in the bottles?

I'm guessin the standard 3 week wait..?

OK this is my second AG and did this beer twice. First time got 1.040. This time, although temp may have been a bit high when I took reading got 1.020 pre boil with about 6.5 - 7 gal. I added 1 cup sugar and 1 lb extra light DME. Got 1.040 added a cup and a half of pure maple syrup.... after boil hit my 1.050. I'm REALLY hoping this is drinkable. My efficiency sucks so bad. MAYBE it would have been 1.040 again at 5 gallons... but not 1.050 being I ended with that when I boiled for an hour and a half to get it down to 5 gals. I follow the 163 strike to a 152 hour mash.... stirred very well... runnings stayed cloudy... no clue what to fix next time.... lost.

With a cup of sugar, a 1lb of light DME, and cup and a half of maple syrup after the boil it's hard telling what you will end up with. How long did you mash?

oh sorry, it wasnt added after the boil if it came off that way... it was added during the 1st 15 min of the boil. I mashed for about 70 minutes... its churning away right now and looks fine, i know it wont taste like your haus ale but im hoping it tastes like beer at least... its my first time in about 10 batches that i have a carboy and im watching it churn. pretty amazing

I just kegged this and it came out bad, really bad. It tastes like soap. It was good after primary but bad after secondary. I'm thinking maybe I didn't rinse the secondary carboy good enough, :(

I stuck this keg in the fridge and got it carbed up. I think it tastes like bandaids now. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not but after drinking 2 small samples I got a stomachache that lasted for 2 hours. I think I'm going to have to dump the keg.:mad:

I brewed this as my first AG beer. my efficiency was terrible so I added DME to raise the OG into line with Ed's recipe. everything else went according to plan. Had my first pint of it today, and wow... this one is not going to last long.

Back