Attenuation woes. 65% AA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
Ok yea its not too bad but for some reason almost all the time I make an AG Stout I get crappy Attenuation... This time being 65% AA i ended up at 1.020 from 1.060...

I'm assuming this is primarily due to unfermentables in the wort. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem for future stouts?

I love stouts so Its important I nail this one down.

Thanks,

Jason

65% doesn't seem that low for some Stouts. Are they too coming out too sweet? Which type of Stout are you trying to make?

In any case, mashing at a lower temp will make a wort more fermentable. You want to mash at a temp that allows the beta-amylase to do it's thing (make maltose which is fully fementable). It will take a little longer to convert though.

Yes sorry for the lack of Details... I don't know if I have the recipe handy, but I know I used a very small amount of Black Patent in it and some chocolate malt.

It was an American Style Stout
and I think I came in ok I just was looking for more of a 1.016 FG but I mean it tastes great though...

I mashed around 152 and recirculated for about 20 minutes before I sparged...

I mashed out at 168 and boiled for 75minutes.

I really can't remember the recipe off hand but i'll post it later tonight on my other computer...

I think I'm going to warm it up to the mid 70's and see if it moves anywhere for the next couple days... If it does... Cool beans! If not then its time for Kegging...

I was just reading into Beano... and basically its the Devil... I'm glad i didnt try that...

Back