Chugger Pump Just Stops During Recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a new Chugger pump, SS Center Inlet. I have been testing it with water before an actual brew day and am a bit concerned about my findings

I have heated water to a boil and started a recirculation. It seems to get going pretty good and doesn't really mind the bubbles. However, after some time it just stops moving water. I thought this might have something to do with the bubbles at first but the problem persists after flameout with no bubbles in the water. I do have a bleed off valve and this makes no difference. When I switch the pump off and then back on again it starts to move water for a second or two and then just stops again.

**For clarification the pump motor always stays turning, its the liquid flow that stops!

This has shattered my confidence that this pump is going to help my brew day in any way. Does this happen for anyone else? If so, what can I do to avoid this? Is there a chance that I have a lemon pump?

I have three of those pumps and have not seen that problem. I would contact chugger.

Yeah... I'll call them tomorrow, only got an answering machine yesterday (Saturday). Was hoping to e-mail them but their site remains (ahem..) "Under Construction"...

So it sounds like I shouldn't expect this experience to be a normal one huh? Hopefully this can be resolved before my next brew day this upcoming Saturday.. :smack: I've been looking forward to having the help from a pump.

I called and spoke with the folks at Chugger. They seemed to know the issue is with a weak magnet. I have a new magnet and impeller on the way and they should be here before my brew day! Crossing my fingers... :)

Glad you sorted this out and they worked with you as I ordered two of these center inlet pumps today.

Update:

Parts came in on Friday. Installation was simple. Used pump successfully on its inaugural brew yesterday. Was nice to have and now it should be no problem brewing 10+gallon batches by myself!

That's disturbing. Did they mention how many pumps got bad magnets or approximate manufacture dates of the faulty units? Is there a way to identify the bad magnets short of testing the system? When did you buy your pump?

Well, it was disappointing but they took care of it so I'm happy. I don't think you could determine if the issue exists without doing the test as I did. There was no mention of bad lot's or anything.

I actually just bought my pump from "Adventures In Homebrew" on 09/18/2013. Even though I just bought it, the serial number indicates it was manufactured in 12/2012. Must have been old stock or something...

I have the same issue going on right now they sent out new magnets work great for the mash would not work during the boil had to use the old chiller didn't want any problems with the plate chiller now they say it's a priming problem I have a bottom drain keggle straight to the pump been running the same rig since February brew almost every weekend

Ok now I am really glad I saw this post - same issues here.
For the life of me I couldn't figure it out until I saw this... I just thought I was a newbie with it and they were really temperamental.

Now I have to ship it back with the cost to me they are going to run test for 5 till 7 days probably not going to have a pump for about two weeks going to make those Christmas beer a little harder now

My Chugger arrived defective. I called Chugger at the the number they inserted in the box. Two people at Chugger were very clear that Chugger DOES NOT support the warranty, receipt or not, and that I would have to go back to the seller for warranty support.

I don't work for the chugger folks, but, the one I do work for I sit near customer service. They also refer people to the retailer for most returns/ exchanges. The retailer would then get a credit from the manufacturer so I'm not surprised you had the experience you did.

The retailer would not have an issue replacing it, especially if it arrived defective.

Your right, the retailer I purchased it from, Brewhardware.com, went above and beyond to rectify a situation that I later determined was my own fault. Brewharware.com is a first class operation.

Now I have to ship it back with the cost to me they are going to run test for 5 till 7 days probably not going to have a pump for about two weeks going to make those Christmas beer a little harder now

What was the final results of Chuggers testing? I've been having the same problem since I switched to a larger I.D. tubing, I just assumed that was it.

Well, it was disappointing but they took care of it so I'm happy. I don't think you could determine if the issue exists without doing the test as I did. There was no mention of bad lot's or anything.

I actually just bought my pump from "Adventures In Homebrew" on 09/18/2013. Even though I just bought it, the serial number indicates it was manufactured in 12/2012. Must have been old stock or something...

Bummer. I can't remember when I bought my pump, but it was from AiH and it was (at the very least) sometime after 7/12.....when I started brewing.

Mine ran very well as far as the last brew session goes (two weeks ago). I only have one pump and mainly use it to pump strike water to the mash tun. Fingers crossed.

I've always had this problem as well. I always thought it was air building up in the pump. Now I'm gonna have to see if they will send me a couple of impellers and see if I cant get this thing working the way I initially planned.

Back