New York City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
I will be in NYC for a couple of days at the end of the week. Any suggestions where to go? I heard the Heartland Breweries are decent. Anything out there that's worth a visit?

Thanks

You have to check out McSorley's. I couldn't tell you where it is in the city, but a cabbie will know. It is a hole in the wall, but they make their own beer. They have a light and a dark beer and you are best off ordering two at a time (small mugs and surly waitstaff-if you're unaccustomed to ordering there).

It's a neat little place to stop in for a few. :mug:

mcsorley's is definitely worth a visit, it's on East 7th St i think (subway 8th St) - google will tell you for sure!

the heartland places i like a lot, really rate their beer although i don't particularly rate the food. good number of bbq places in nyc these days if that's your thing.

if you like german beers there are a couple of places - heidelberg i think on the upper east side, and zum schneider downtown (google should be able to fill in the blanks).

if it was summer - well - you'd have to take the train to Astoria to go to the Bohemian Hall Beer Garden (N,W train to Astoria Blvd). I'm sure it's open in the winter too, there's a fair sized beer hall with all your czech favourates: Staropramen, Budvar, Urquell and usually some german stuff as well.

-Dan- said:
I will be in NYC for a couple of days at the end of the week. Any suggestions where to go? I heard the Heartland Breweries are decent. Anything out there that's worth a visit?

Thanks

There is a great place on the South west corner of the intersection of 54th street and 9 th avenue. They have a huge number of beers on tap. I lived 4 buildings away. Can remember the darn name but you can start there and after a few brews walk South down 9th avenue... other bars are coppersmiths... some bar looks like and English pub ( cant remember that name ). Also since you are in the area, if you like thai food Pams real thai makes the best damned chicken dumplings in the world. Oh how I miss those!!!!! I mean really miss them... could eat nothing else for 2 weeks.

Ps none of the places I mentioned makes their own beer.... the one on 54th and 9th just has a pretty good selection.

cd2448 said:
mcsorley's is definitely worth a visit, it's on East 7th St i think (subway 8th St) - google will tell you for sure!

the heartland places i like a lot, really rate their beer although i don't particularly rate the food. good number of bbq places in nyc these days if that's your thing.

if you like german beers there are a couple of places - heidelberg i think on the upper east side, and zum schneider downtown (google should be able to fill in the blanks).

if it was summer - well - you'd have to take the train to Astoria to go to the Bohemian Hall Beer Garden (N,W train to Astoria Blvd). I'm sure it's open in the winter too, there's a fair sized beer hall with all your czech favourates: Staropramen, Budvar, Urquell and usually some german stuff as well.

Mc sorleys is a good place too. I think its the inspiration for the Simpsons episodes that include a bar called Mc Surleys:cross:

cd2448 said:
Thanks but German beer is not neccessary ... I will make my annual Christmas visit to Germany next week for 2 weeks so I can wait another week! :)

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will look into it

Where you going to in Germany? I lived in Munich for over ten years. Great beer of course but you'll go thirsty looking for a good IPA!

Will go to a small town about one hour south of Stuttgart.

Went to the Heartland Brewery "Chophouse" at TIme Square and over all I have to say that I wasnt really impressed. The beer was GREAT but the food is a different story.

I recommend Brooklyn Brewery Lager ... had that at another place. I tried to visit the other mentioned spots but couldn't make it. Maybe next time... Thanks tho

-Dan- said:
Will go to a small town about one hour south of Stuttgart.

Went to the Heartland Brewery "Chophouse" at TIme Square and over all I have to say that I wasnt really impressed. The beer was GREAT but the food is a different story.

I recommend Brooklyn Brewery Lager ... had that at another place. I tried to visit the other mentioned spots but couldn't make it. Maybe next time... Thanks tho

My thoughts exactly on the Heartland. The beer is excellent but the food is far from special. I'm also a fan of Brooklyn Lager, great minds think alike, innit.

Back