Cream Ale Potsville Common - Yuengling clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plainbrad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP080
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
18.2 IBU
Color
9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
My not so refined palet found the taste/color to right on.
Mashed at ~148F for 90 minutes. 10 minute mash out at ~170F.

For those in the western US who have had Yuengling Lager and would like to brew something close (or for those who wonder what it is like). This was done with WLP080 at 68F but I'm sure Notty or an American lager yeast at lower temps would make fine results and maybe a dryer finish.

3 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 64.5 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 21.5 %
6.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 8.6 %
4.0 oz Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) 5.4 %
0.25 oz Cluster - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.25 oz Cascade - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP08)

Sorry to resurrect. How close of a clone is this? Any changes the author would suggest (or anyone else who has made it)? My brother in law requested a Yuengling-like beer, and it is surprisingly difficult to find recipes given its somewhat cult-like following.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to resurrect. How close of a clone is this? Any changes the author would suggest (or anyone else who has made it)? My brother in law requested a Yuengling-like beer, and it is surprisingly difficult to find recipes given its somewhat cult-like following.

I really think it was spot on. If I rebrewed it, I would consider a Kolsh yeast as I have found it be an ale yeast that most think is a lager.

I make an almost dead ringer yuengling using (10 gal batch) 2.5 lbs #60caramel, 9 lbs pale and 3 lbs corn grits. you need to do a cereal mash first with 2.0lbs of the pale and all the grits(makes all the difference in the world)There’s a pretty good description of the process in John Palmer’s How to Brew (p. 173) Also yuengling uses 1.0 oz cluster(full boil) and .5 oz cascade hops(last 15min). WLP840 American Lager Yeast. lager at 53F 2 weeks then bottle condition another 2 weeks at fridge temp.

good luck and happy brewing

Back