Better bottles. damn there nice !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Started out with a kit. Came with a bottling bucket with spigot and 5gal glass carboy. Within one batch i went out and bought a 7gal fermenting bucket. The bucket was/is great and still in use. The glass 5 gal carboy is heavy and for anything at or over 1.050 it wasn't enough. The bucket more than filled the need . Needing one more primary. I bought a Better Bottle. The 6 gal one. I also bought the plug as well as the dry air lock. I just wanted to say how nice of a primary this setup is. I know the cost turns most off but to me its worth the money. Now my big beers go into the bucket and mid beers go into the Better Bottle. My glass 5 gal is in storage for dry hopping duties.

Had i not jumped in with both feet. I would have went the Better Bottle route in the first place.

Agreed. I just scored 2 unused 6gal better bottles off craigslist, to add to the 3 I have. The worst part is, they are all empty in the basement.

BxBrewer said:
Started out with a kit. Came with a bottling bucket with spigot and 5gal glass carboy. Within one batch i went out and bought a 7gal fermenting bucket. The bucket was/is great and still in use. The glass 5 gal carboy is heavy and for anything at or over 1.050 it wasn't enough. The bucket more than filled the need . Needing one more primary. I bought a Better Bottle. The 6 gal one. I also bought the plug as well as the dry air lock. I just wanted to say how nice of a primary this setup is. I know the cost turns most off but to me its worth the money. Now my big beers go into the bucket and mid beers go into the Better Bottle. My glass 5 gal is in storage for dry hopping duties.

Had i not jumped in with both feet. I would have went the Better Bottle route in the first place.

Question back at you? What's best way to clean a better bottle without scratching it?

Question back at you? What's best way to clean a better bottle without scratching it?

Soak overnight in water with 1 scoop oxyclean free. Most of the time that strips it completely clean. If not, toss a wet rag in there and shake it around. It will knock anything else loose.

Soak overnight in water with 1 scoop oxyclean free. Most of the time that strips it completely clean. If not, toss a wet rag in there and shake it around. It will knock anything else loose.

+1 this is what I do. :ban:

Glad it's working out for you.
When I started out, I figured that I was going to need several carboys.
Now since I got my first eight gallon bucket that's all I use.
I want 5 1/2 gallons or so to come up with five when I'm done so the eight gallon bucket leaves a fair amount of room for vigorous fermentation. The weight of the glass doesn't bother me, but I just don't use a carboy anymore.
I'll have to check out the better bottles sometime when I'm in a brew store that has them, just to keep in the back of my mind.
If only you could get them or a carboy in about a 7 1/2 gallon size, and pay under $50. It is nice to see what's going on.

Yep, rag for me too. And +1 for oxyclean being cheaper than PBW.

Back