Slow start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleighdoh

Reaction score
Brewed a pale ale Sunday night and still not much activity in my airlock? All grain pale ale, rehydrated my yeast, pitched and aerated with a paddle at 70 degrees. Currently siting at 69 degrees. Any thoughts? Re-pitch? Shake it a bit? Take a gravity reading? Or wait it out another day or two? Thanks

Just did a ipa last sat with us -05 pitched sat night did not see krausen till tues morning just keep an eye on it if your really worried take a gravity reading

Well there is a bunch of tiny bubbles in the airlock but no bubbling action like the fermentation I'm used to seeing. I also used us-5

What yeast??? I have been having long lag times with US-05... I brewed an Amber Ale on saturday with US-05, and it was 36 hours before I saw ANYTHING at all. It was not a vigorous ferment like I am used to seeing... I thought it stalled out today, so I took a gravity reading and sure enough it was at 1.016 from 1.051... I'm thinking I may switch yeasts for future brews.

Lack of bubble lock activity is not indicative of lack of fermentation. Sometimes it's just odd others it's cause we think we get the lid on all the way and don't actually do so. Or if it's a carboy, the bung may not be fully set.

It's a tough thing to get used to, since 99/100 you see noticeable bubbles. As folks have said, give it a week and check it. If you open it and see a krausen, then it's for sure fermenting.

I have noticed 05 taking a long time to start, especially when rehyrated. I have much less lag time when I pitch dry which doesn't make any sense to me YMMV. If you say any airlock activity at all just leave it alone, it's doing it's thing.

Thanks everyone. Checked it this morning and the fermentation seems to be moving along now. Plenty of activity in the airlock. Lots of helpful information here. Learn more every time I brew! When you rehydrate the yeast, is there a specific amount of time and water I should be using for the process?

I have noticed 05 taking a long time to start, especially when rehyrated. I have much less lag time when I pitch dry which doesn't make any sense to me YMMV. If you say any airlock activity at all just leave it alone, it's doing it's thing.

Ive never rehydrated and always have great yeast progagation. I would say most brewers I have talked to don;t rehydrate and just pitch it right in.

Back