What kind of keg is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Savage

Reaction score
I believe this to be a Golden Gate Keg

I put a wanted ad up for a Sankey Keg on Craigslist. The guy told me he had one for me for $20 and he would even deliver it to my house. He showed up with this one. I decided to take it anyway. I figured it was at least worth $20 bucks in scrap metal, so no big loss.

Who owns one of these? Are they worth hanging on to for home brewing purposes?

It has a valve on the top, a second on the bottom side, and the center side there is a bung hole with a wooden bung inserted. It is from "Carling Brewing Tacoma" The guy told me it was an antique sankey but im sure its a Golden Gate.

It looks like I can just remove the wooden bung to clean out the inside. It feels like it is about half full. Im sure the beer is probably pretty rank. Any cleaning tips? Or should I just trade it off for a Sankey.

IMGP2618.jpg

IMGP2617.jpg

Side
IMGP2613.jpg

Bottom
IMGP2612.jpg

looks like a henikien keg, i saw one just like that on craigslist tonite but cant remeber what kind it was lol,

I drilled a hole in the bung, and then chiseled it the rest of the way out. EEWWWWWW! Smelled like a uber funk barley wine. When I emptied the beer into my utility sink these long thin rubber like yeast filmy things came out and cloged my sink. It looked like a tape worm. Gross.

Anyway I jetted out the inside with hot water. And then I scrubbed the whole thing with dish soap, and followed up with stainless steel polish. Looks like a million bucks now. I filled it with oxyclean and water and its chillin in my garage.

Still waiting for some feedback.

I went to my Local Draft shop and asked a bunch of questions. It is a Golden Gate or a "Diamond Keg". They had bungs for it as well as Taps. They wanted friggen $90 bucks for the tap. They said the high price is because they are obsolete, and arent made anymore.

Anybody have a good cheap source for a Golden gate tap?

Im gonna keep the keg and use it for Cask Conditioning my homebrew like mentioned above.

Also Mcmenimens uses Golden Gate...........So I can have them fill a keg for me once and awhile, without having to pay for a deposit. They told me they would just let me swap out my old one. Or If im willing to wait a day or two they will fill MY keg.

Back