Cold tolerant yeast for apfelvine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
All my carboys in my basement are 47-50 degrees right now. I have a 7.5 gallon carboy I want to make/bulk age apfelvine in. Since Montrachet's lowest tolerance is 59, what does everyone recommend?

WLP 830 German Lager yeast. Most lager yeasts will feel right at home at that temp, but 830 is like old faithful - it always works.

All my carboys in my basement are 47-50 degrees right now. I have a 7.5 gallon carboy I want to make/bulk age apfelvine in. Since Montrachet's lowest tolerance is 59, what does everyone recommend?

I'd try a lager yeast, but if you're set on a wine yeast, you might try one of these:

Côte des Blancs : Formerly known as Epernay 2, this is another slow fermenting, very low foaming and low flocculating yeast tolerant of low temperatures. It tends to bring out floral and fruity qualities in wines and can be useful in both grape--especially fruity German style whites-- and non-grape wines--such as peach or raspberry--where a bouquet is especially desired. This yeast will not push alcohol production over 13% in a cool fermentation but has a range of 12-14%.

Epernay : Epernay is a Champagne yeast, meaning it was isolated in Champagne, France and is used in Champagne production. Epernay is used in bottle fermenting because it ferments slowly and is tolerant to cold temperatures with moderate foaming. It is also used for primary fermentations of still white wines.

Pasteur Champagne : Champagne yeast is the second most common yeast strain used. It was isolated in Champagne, France and is technically a mixed-population culture. It is common in sparkling wine production because of its ability to induce fermentation quickly and because of its effectiveness in low temperatures and its tolerance of medium-high alcohol conditions. These conditions are common in sparkling wine production. Temperature range is 59-86°, low to medium flocculation, and alcohol is 13-15%.

Pasteur White : Pasteur white is also called French white. As the name suggests, it is used primarily for white wine fermentation because of its ability to ferment slowly and tolerate cold temperatures. It also gives off a noticeable yeasty aroma. Pasteur white foams considerably so it works better in stainless steel rather than wooden barrels.

Premier Curvee : Also known as Prise de Mousse, this is a Champagne yeast that is strong acting, low foaming and therefore qualified for barrel fermentations. It imparts a strong yeasty aroma and is useful for secondary fermentation in both still and sparkling wine production. Good for reds and whites alike and for restarting stuck or sluggish fermentations. Temperature range is 45-85° (equal to Lalvin EC-1118), flocculation is low, and alcohol is reliably 18%.

Steinberg : A strain developed in Germany. Like Pasteur white, Steinberg is used for white wine fermentation because it yields a lengthy fermentation process. It even tolerates the cold better than Pasteur white. Johannesburg Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Chenin Blanc and Muscat all use this strain. It gives off a tropical fruit aroma and is best used in stainless steel fermenting.

If I had to choose one of these wine yeasts, I think I'd go with Steinberg. a riesling or gewurztraminer style apfelwein sounds interesting & tasty.
Regards, GF.

If you search the Apfelwein thread there's information on yeast that can and has been used all all temps, hot and cold.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

Back