First all grain batch, post brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astropunk

Reaction score
So I completed my first all grain batch last night. I'd say overall being my first time, it went well. I measured very low gravity (30) when I should have had 42, but that may be due to an error in my measuring method. Im not real concerned with the final abv.

The real question I have concerns mashing/sparging volumes.
This is the recipe I brewed (no variations):
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/PM-SpeckledHeifer.pdf

I used the BrewPal Iphone app to calculate my mash. I thought it was a pretty slick tool. It calculated my mash like this:
Strike water: 2.7gals @166F (60min)
Sparge: 5.0gal @170 (10min)

The recipe uses 8.5lbs of grain, any my starting temp was 65F. Im using a rectangular rubbermaid 48qt cooler and cpvc manifold. Both my boil volume and final volume were right on. I have 5.0gals fermenting now.

This evening I downloaded Beer smith, and entered the exact same recipe.
Its mash calculation is this (single infusion, medium body)
12.5 qts = 3.125gal @ 163F (60min)
7qts =1.75 gal @ 206F (10min)

So why such a drastic variation in Mash & sparge volumes? Or am I doing something wrong?

It looks to me like the beer smith numbers were not for a sparge, but the second volume of 206F water was for a ten minute mashout. Sparge water would have to be at 170, and would be a much higher volume, typically in the range of 2 qts/lb of grain

Yes, the second volume in BeerSmith was for a mash out, which is optional in my opinion and I never do anymore. I'm assuming you batch sparged. To help with your efficiency I would recommend dividing your sparges in two equal amounts. At that point your basically rinsing the grains of sugars, and as has been said on here before..."When you rinse soap out of a glass, do you rinse with water once or twice?" Either way, if you are batch sparging I wouldn't even worry about the second volumes from the calculators. I find it's easiest to simply measure the first runnings in a ale pail. Then subtract that amount from my preboil volume and simply use that volume as my sparge amount. No need to worry about grain absorption or any other variables.

I just realized my link was wrong. I did the all grain recipe, not the partial mash. The correct one is here:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-SpeckledHeifer.pdf

So, it seems the general consensus when batch sparging, the mash out is un-necessary. I used the software to help me, being my first time and all, to guide me to the correct volumes and temp calculations. It worked great for that purpose. However, what Hammy says actually makes a lot of sense! I will use that method for my next batch. Thanks!

BTW...does beer smith have an option for sparge with no mash out? Im sure it has to, so I will keep tinkering with it.

Right here:

okbfkm.jpg

I just realized my link was wrong. I did the all grain recipe, not the partial mash. The correct one is here:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-SpeckledHeifer.pdf

So, it seems the general consensus when batch sparging, the mash out is un-necessary. I used the software to help me, being my first time and all, to guide me to the correct volumes and temp calculations. It worked great for that purpose. However, what Hammy says actually makes a lot of sense! I will use that method for my next batch. Thanks!

BTW...does beer smith have an option for sparge with no mash out? Im sure it has to, so I will keep tinkering with it.

LOL...right there all along...like finding a needle in a stack of needles ;)

Latest posts

Back