Avery Maharaja

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bball3414

Reaction score
Hey,

is Avery Maharaja supposed to be cloudy?

I bought a bottle right before new years with the label saying "bottled in may 2010" and finally poured it tonight... thought it tasted weird a few sips in... but then noticed it was extremely, extremly cloudy... i have a feeling it had gone bad perhaps??

with further investigation... on their website, it seems they are bottled for consumption in the summer?? could this be possibly why i thought it tasted terrible?

Im really disappointed. i had a bottle a couple years ago that was amazing and finally found it locally distributed a few weeks ago and was psyched... let me know!

May 2010... yeah that's a little old for an imperial IPA. They are best within 3 months and even then should be kept refrigerated. 2011 Maharaja should be released soon, I'd try grabbing a fresh one when it comes out.

FWIW in my dropdown "El Dictador" is a clone of Maharaja, very tasty.

I had Maharaja for the first (and only) time this fall. It was cloudy in the way that most "big" and bottle-conditioned beers are. Oh! It was also GLORIOUS! I can imagine a few months could damage the delicate side of this beer. If the "subtleties" are gone, all that's left is the big, "harsh" flavors.

Back