Old Dominion Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAGNER BREWING

Reaction score
Im trying to find a recipe that closely matches Old Dominions Oak Barrell Stout. If anyone haas a recipe and is willing to share it, that would be awesome. Even some ideas thown together to try and match it. :drunk:

I dont know when this was originially posted, but I'd love to have arecipe for this brew also... one of my favorites...!!!!!

This is going to be my next brew actually, I just got my vanilla beans from ebay :)

here is the extract + recipe from BYO clone recipes

OG- 1.056
IBU- 52

.66 lb light dried malt extract
4.13 lb pale liquid malt (late addition)
1 lb 2-row
6.5 oz carapils
15 oz munich
10 oz chrystal 40l
6 oz rauchmalz
6.5 oz wheat
10 oz chocolate malt
12 oz roasted barley

1.9 oz perl 60 mins
1.6 oz willamette 5 mins
wyeast 1056 american ale

1.5 vanilla bean
2.5 oz oak cubes
(add vanilla and oak to secondary)

my own recipe will omit the carapils and will use all liquid extract with some dark liquid extract instead of all pale, I will aslo partial mash the grains

No help on the recipe but if you ever make it to Williamsburg, go to the Green Leafe Cafe on Tuesdays... Oak Barrel Stout for 5 bucks a pitcher. :mug:

Great Stuff...!!!! what issue of BYO has that clone recipe in it..?? I have about a year of past issues... Thanks..

Nate, I may have to take drive up wo Williamsburg for that... Its not that far from Va Beach...

Jester

Baron von BeeGee said:
I actually brewed this and all I can say is go light on the oak.

What's "light", BvBG? I'm planning on making a vanilla bourbon oaked winter ale, and I need to know how much oak cubes to add, for how long.

why does the recipe call for both DME and LME..??

sheephrdr: How much dark LME did you end up using..?? why did you omit the carapils..??

Thanks again..

Jester

Evan! said:
What's "light", BvBG? I'm planning on making a vanilla bourbon oaked winter ale, and I need to know how much oak cubes to add, for how long.
Sorry, I must have missed this post. I wouldn't do more than 2oz of oak cubes. I did 3oz because that was how they came packaged and it was too much for me.

Note that the weight of the oak cubes isn't the full answer in this case...it's really surface area that imparts the oaky flavor. When I say 3oz I'm talking about little cubes that my LHBS sells for the winemakers (1/2" x 1/2"?).

Brewing this beer tomorrow. I have a 1086 starter going right now for it. I am going to partial mash all grains, and use the DME and LME as described in the recipe. Did anyone that has done anything close to this use lactose? I was thinking of adding lactose to it at bottling time.

I dont have any on hand right now, so I probably wont use it either. I was wondering if I had to make an order for it tomorrow or not. I will be able to get an idea of taste at bottling, and if I think I should I will add it there.

Back