Ninkasi IPA Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
I had a Ninkasi beer when I was in Cali. I think it was an IPA mite have been a APA had a baby blue label on it. I dont like IPA's very much but this was fantastic. Dose anyone know what this beer was and have a clone for it. something close would even be great. it had very little bitter to it and a great citrus taste. Thanks

Maybe?

Quantum Pale Ale

A crisp, refreshing pale, that doesn’t sacrifice flavor for drinkability. A Northwest session beer, hoppy and smooth, that everyone can enjoy.

5.6% alc./vol. 35 ibus. Always available on draft.

Ninkasi IPAs are 100% in-your-face.

That may have been what it was, no bitter, big grapefruit front. I cant get it in Iowa and would love to make some.

what you had was Total Domination IPA and it may be the best beer in the world...Ive been looking for a clone for a while now with no luck

Try emailing the brewery, they seemed like solid dudes when I have contacted them.

This is info for Total Domination, which I have really been enjoying. They use Summit for bittering, Amarillo and Centennial for flavor/aroma. Here is a quote from another forum with more details. It is from someone who lives next to one of the brewers or something :

So he did come over and he said that the yeast is 1968. For Total Domination, it is Pale, Munich and CaraHell.

The Brewing Network • View topic - Ninkasi - Total Domination IPA

Thanks for the help guys im gonna have to put something together with this info and see what I get. Thanks so much

Ok how dose this look to you Im a newbe so all the help is very much appreciated.

64.6 IBU
6.7ABV
6*SRM
1.067OG
1.021FG

12lb Two-row pale
1LB Munich malt
6oz caramel/crystal 60L

1.25oz summit 60min
1.0oz Centennial 5min
1.0oz Amarillo 5min
1.0oz Centennial Dry hop at 7 days
1.0oz Amarillo Dry hop at 7 days

Wyeast London ESB Ale (1968)

Im thinking I may need more dry hops. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure your fg will finish lower than 1.021, so you can probably use less grain to achieve the same abv. You can mash at like 149 to make it nice and fermentable and then you will finish dryer (like 1.014) like an ipa should be. Check the attenuation % on that esb yeast.

I would move some of the summit up to 30m or so because you want some of its nice flavor. Looks good otherwise. What's your efficiency?

This should make something similar to total domination. If it is tricerahops you are after, it has a lot more hops and alcohol. Personally, I prefer total domination.

Last brew day my effciency was crap like 62 but blame it on a few to many home brews. The beer came out fantastic thow finished at 1.004. I mashed at 150*F on that one. Before that have been getting 78-80%.

Been trying to get hold of the guy who gave me this to find out for sure wich one it was. I'm thinking it was total domination since he said something about there other IPA was to much hops for him.

Ok sounds like a plan chanced hop addition like this.

.75 oz summit 60min pellet
.50oz summit 30min pellet
1.0oz centennial 5min pellet
1.0oz Amarillo 5min pellet
1.0oz centennial dry hop leaf
1.0oz Amarillo dry hop leaf

I had my calculator set for a 3gal boil woops. Reset it for a 5gal and hitting rite at 66IBU now.
There (Ninkasi) web site said its 65ibu so close enuff for me.

So sub-zero, how did your recipe turn out? Well, I hope. I'm considering making an extract version of this if it turned out for you.

What I made was an extract version this time around. I just dry hopped it and will be bottleing on the 10th. So far it is great best taisting wort I have ever made. I will post the recipe I used in a bit or you can look it up on hopville under Rat Poison IPA

this is what i made

Ninkasi IPA extract
5.0gal
OG 1.067
FG 1.020
IBU 61.3
ABV 6.5
SRM 9*

6.8lb X-light dry malt extract
1.0lb Munich Malt
0.6oz Caramel/Crystal Malt-60L
Hops
60min .75oz columbus
30min .5oz Columbus
5min 1.0oz centennial
5min 1.0oz Amarillo
dry hop 7days 1.0oz Centennial
dry hop 7day 1.0oz Amarillo
Wyeast London ESB (1968) Irish moss last 15min of boil

Thanks, sub-zero. You're the best!

I'm going to start this one soon so it can age. The Total Domination is my aunt's favorite beer, & she's coming to visit in February for the Michigan Winter Beer Festival. I'm hoping to serve her a decent approximation of it. Thanks to you, I hope to do that. =)

Thanks again, & let us know how your batch turns out.

Edit for Question: Why the Columbus instead of Summit hops, as a substitution?

this is what i made

Ninkasi IPA extract
5.0gal
OG 1.067
FG 1.020
IBU 61.3
ABV 6.5
SRM 9*

1.0lb Munich Malt
Hops
60min .75oz columbus
30min .5oz Columbus
5min 1.0oz centennial
5min 1.0oz Amarillo

Looks like you left out the summit and used crystal 60L instead of carahell? I'm probably going to make this really soon and happen to have summit/carahell on hand. Either way I'm sure it will be tasty.

Yeah when I got supplys they didnt have any summit so I used Columbus. I know it wont be quit as bitter but that is good with me. The crystal 60L is what I have had for the recipe from the start. You think the carahell will make a big differnce in final product? I would love to know how it comes out for you if you use it?
This is going to be a redo soon to try to profect it. It would be great if some one else made it also for more insite and to compare notes to profect it.

Next time i am going to use summit if I can get it Awfaver just so you know. I could get columbus and it was a close sub for this batch but was not my prefrence.

I bottled today. This came out great. nice citrus smell good flaver. I will say the summit would have been better I believe. Pico if you are doing an all grain let me know how it comes out. This came out at 1.020 a little sweat. Im gonna work on the extract recipe and when I get it were I like it I am going to start brewing the all grain. Next go around I will be useing Dextrose or sucrose in place of some extract/grain in hope of drying it out a bit. After it ages I will make up m mined but my first inpretion is to up the dry hops to 1 1/2 oz per from the 1oz per I used this time. I would like a little more IN YOUR FACE kinda hoppyness to it. I will let it carb up and report back on the out come of this batch.

No starter. Fermintation took off within 12hr. I ferminted at 65-68deg roomtemp. Primary 31 days secondary 10 days. I aerate by filling my better bottle 1/2 full shake the hell out of it, fill rest way up shake the hell out of it again. I believe I only got down to 1.020 because of the extract. We have been talking about it in this thread.

Hey pico just so you know the resone I say I think the summit will be better is I got an oarnge not to it with this hop schedule. To me ninkasi should have more of a grapefruit note. Let me know what you think. I know this needs to age some and it will change then also.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I plan on a Ninkasi clone this weekend. So - any ideas on Tricerahops? I'll do the Total Domination if I need to BUT would rather the Tricerahops. I have not found a thing on it so far.

I am thinking of giving Total Domination a shot soon and this is what I have pieced together for a reciepe from all the souces I could find. Please feel free to comment and make suggestions. The areas I am not certain are - hops additions and timing - amount of Munich and Carahell.

Size: 11 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.070 (1.000 - 1.100)
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.000 - 1.100)
Color: 8.17 (0.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 6.89% (0.0% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 66.7 (0.0 - 50.0)

Ingredients:
22 lb Standard 2-Row
2 lb Munich Malt
3 lb Carahell®
2 ea WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale
1 oz Summit (17.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min

Mash @ 149
Double batch Sparge.

I talked with Niko at Ninkasi recently. There is no Centennial used in Total Domination. The hops used are Summit, Amarillo, and Crystal. I tried a clone, and it's delicious, but that unique flavor still eludes me. Btw, they don't dry hop this beer.

Huge mistake - I made this based on the above. According to BeerTools it should have came out around 1.017. So I took a sample using my refractometer, had a major brain fart and saw "12" and thought - wow - this really attenuated well - and then dry hopped. I took a sample last wkd and realized 12 on my refractometer is actually 1.034 - not good.

Here are my thoughts - since I did not rack to secondary it had the opportunity to continue fermenting so it likely got stuck

OR

despite multiple readings, perhaps the cloudiness is throwing my reading off.

In any case is is sweet but not bad - Total Domination is fairly sweet to begin with.

What should I do? Can I re-pitch and warm it back up? I've got another beer fermenting using the same yeast - I can secondary the current batch and re-pitch.

this is what i made

Ninkasi IPA extract
5.0gal
OG 1.067
FG 1.020
IBU 61.3
ABV 6.5
SRM 9*

1.0lb Munich Malt
Hops
60min .75oz columbus
30min .5oz Columbus
5min 1.0oz centennial
5min 1.0oz Amarillo

I made this but used LME instead of DME. Also used English Ale (WLP002) because brew shop was out of 1968. It's frickin' awesome! My favorite IPA so far.

When I did this beer the first time I loved how it came out so I have not change much on it. I tried a
a different hop schedule once but liked this the best so have stayed with it. I know its not the best clone of ninkasi but it is a kicka$$ beer. I am glad others have liked it to.

Love this stuff. Here is my guess:

11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.48 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Warrior [18.00 %] (60 min) Hops 55.3 IBU
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Warrior [18.00 %] (30 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
5.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal Washington, DC Water
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

I talked with Niko at Ninkasi recently. There is no Centennial used in Total Domination. The hops used are Summit, Amarillo, and Crystal. I tried a clone, and it's delicious, but that unique flavor still eludes me. Btw, they don't dry hop this beer.

good to know, Ill alter my recipe.

Back