Summit APA w/ all late additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been really anxious to brew up something w/ these bad boys. Any comments/changes are welcomed!

I was thinking just a single infusion at 154F and a single pack of US-05. Thoughts?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Summit APA
Brewer: Chad
Asst Brewer:
Style: APA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.73 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 18.18 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Summit [18.00 %] (15 min) Hops 28.6 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (10 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Oh my god.. that recipe looks great! I love summit hops .. I use them alot. And that hopping is going to be in your face big time.

I'd add a decent amount of complexity to your grainbill, maybe even bump into into amber territory to balance it some. Late-hopping works best with amber styles for me. Crystal 60 would be good, but I'd use even darker crystal, or a mix. Maybe 1/2 lb. X40 and a 1/4 pound x120 or special B (x180). Maybe some munich and/or vienna in large amounts. Large as in all or most of your base malt :)

Cheers and good luck!

I'd add a decent amount of complexity to your grainbill, maybe even bump into into amber territory to balance it some. Late-hopping works best with amber styles for me. Crystal 60 would be good, but I'd use even darker crystal, or a mix. Maybe 1/2 lb. X40 and a 1/4 pound x120 or special B (x180). Maybe some munich and/or vienna in large amounts. Large as in all or most of your base malt

Yeah I just plugged the 60 in and it didn't do too much for the color unless adding a pound or more. Is a pound too much? Maybe a mix would be a good idea.

As to adding more Vienna, I just tapped a Vienna/Centennial SMaSH and absolutely fell in love w/ it. I considered adding more here, but I really want the hops to shine through since I don't have much first hand experience w/ Summit.

And that hopping is going to be in your face big time.

Sweet! That was the idea. :)

Summit is a wonderful hop but it is easy to use too much. I have brewed many beers with it. I would drop .5-1 oz out of the dryhop. 1.5 would be a bit overpowering IMO.

Cool, I just figured I'd have an extra 1/2 oz leftover so why not throw it in there. I dry-hop w/ an herb ball in the keg, so I could always use the whole 1.5 ounces and just pull the ball out when the aroma is to my liking.

Conroe, I'll keep that in my mind. 1/2 a lb right now brings it out to almost 5%...so maybe I'll just go w/ some Crystal 80 for color.

Actually my best beer is dry-hopped with exactly 1.5 oz. It's wonderful! Not too much either. It's pretty malty though.

I'd go 120, I love the flavor of it, and it will help to have strong malty with strong hoppy. They may be pretty similar though.

Good luck! want to hear how it turns out

I don't think I'd use a half pound of 120L, more like 4 oz 120L and and 4 oz 10L. I like the malty sweetness that the lighter crystal has at the beginning and how it fades as the hops take over. The flavor of the darker crystal will be more at the end of the swallow.

I did a late addition pale ale and the hops weren't there until I dry hopped it. The bitter was in the background as well. I think that it is good for novelty, not for your pocket book. If I had to do it again, I would bitter to about 30IBU (3/4) at the sixty and then do the late hops and Dry Hopping. One more thing is that I think of my Pale Ale as a different thing from my IPA and so go as light as possible on the dry hopping. IPA = Massive Dry Hop, PA = Minimal Dry Hop

I think that it is good for novelty, not for your pocket book.

That sucks to hear! I really wanted to try it just to say I did (might anyways just for the first hand experience).

The other thing I was considering is trying FWH'ing, but I'm still not totally sure w/ how to account for them. Any ideas?

FWH is kind of like a 20 minute addition in flavor and like a 60 for bitterness. It certainly can save you some hops. It seems to me to have a smoother bitterness and a bolder flavor.

Here is a recipe I've been working on this year that sounds right up your alley. This was my second try and involves a few tweaks of the grain bill, and it uses a bit less hops than my original.
For your benefit, my review of this beer is that it's VERY heavy on hop flavor, not big on bitterness but substantial, and feels too dry. The changes I would make when I try it again would include a higher mash temp OR more unfermentables, and maybe a bit less hops, and a lower attenuating yeast.
Also, some chloride against the sulfate might help. That said, I love it as it is, its just not where I want it to be. It is delicious regardless. I'm a big fan of late hopping.

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.057 SG (1.045-1.060 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.010-1.015 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Color: 12.7 SRM (10.0-17.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 44.6 IBU (25.0-45.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 3.1 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.6 % (4.5-6.0 %)
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.5 %

5.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 42.7 %
3.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 29.9 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 17.1 %
1.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %

2g CaCO3
1g CaSO4
1g NaHCO3

0.30 oz Summit [18.50%] (75 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.8 IBU
0.70 oz Summit [18.50%] (20 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
0.70 oz Glacier [5.60%] (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.70 oz Ahtanum [6.00%] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1.00 oz Ahtanum [6.00%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
no dry hop

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-)

Step Add 16.38 qt of water at 167.2 F 154.0 F 60 min
Step Decoct 5.68 qt of mash and boil it 170.0 F 10 min

I hope this helps you get some ideas. Like I said, it surprisingly came out on the dry side, and the hops pretty much dominate most of the malty flavors.

Good luck!

Mmmm that looks tasty! I'm thinking the dryness came from the Notty because similar APA's I've made w/ a 154F mash temp and US-05 came out about perfect.

I also just found out my water is really low in sulfates which kind of sucks, so it looks like water chemistry is just one more thing I have to read up on. :)

Just kegged this bad boy and WOW!

It's sorta green and not carbed up perfectly yet, but the hops really are in your face. I might not even dry hop at all.

Clarity is just "ok", and I'm wondering if the flaked barley might be the culprit? Either way the head retention is ridiculous...and well worth the slight loss in clarity IMO. I'll try to post some pics if I get a chance.

Definitely going to be adding this is a house staple.

Back