Apfelwein keeps on bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnerdude1

Reaction score
In Nov of 2008 I made 5 gal of Apfelwein and it has been bulk aging ever since. I back sweeten it to bring the SG up to 1.002 several months ago and it is stable. I also added sorbate when I back sweeten it. My question is, the wine is still giving off small bubbles even though I just degassed it. I am wondering if it is ok to go ahead and bottle the wine. Any help on this would be appreciated.

could you post the recipe

knowing what yeast and what you used to back sweeten migh shed a bit of light in this

I thin kthat you didn't kill off the yeast with the sorbate as you had intended

-Jason

Used 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate per gal of wine..really do not want to add anymore, or would it hurt to do so now. Before backsweeten no bubbles.

Used Ed's orginal recipe. Aslo used sugar to backsweeten and Red Star Montrachet 5 grams when first made it...

Sorbate DOES NOT kill yeast! It only prevents the yeast from budding, and inhibits renewed yeast activity under the correct conditions. Although sorbate prevents yeast refermentation, it may not stop an active (or sluggish) fermentation. You should add .5 to .75 grams per gallon of Sorbate WITH .5 gram KMETA per gallon to effectively stop fermentation.

Ok put in sorbate and campen tablets both crushed and stired with paddle attached to a drill. Damn wine still giving off bubbles. Think will wait it out for two or three weeks and then bottle as by that time will need the Five gal container..Never had a wine do this to me....

Ok put in sorbate and campen tablets both crushed and stired with paddle attached to a drill. Damn wine still giving off bubbles. Think will wait it out for two or three weeks and then bottle as by that time will need the Five gal container..Never had a wine do this to me....

Please tell me that you're kidding about the drill.... Pray to all thats brewed great and holy that it off-gassed enough CO2 to keep protective blanket enough to keep it from oxidizing. Oxygenating a wine at this stage will likely ruin it. If its oxidized now, your best bet is to start lapping it all up with a cup before it goes bad. Its the weekend. Have a party. :tank:

Travestyofnature:

Yep use a drill to stir it but just to get the chemicals mixed up. Looks clear at the moment. Still bubbling away...First attempt at the apple wine..maybe should not have sweeten it but it was kinda dry...

When will it start to oxidize??

It might have started to oxidize as soon as you put the drill to it. Stirring vigorously is bad to finished brews. Always try to absolutly minimize oxygen contect with finished or finishing brews. Next time disolve chemicals in small cup of hot water and add to your container. What is it in currently? Carboy?

If you are going to bottle in a couple weeks give it a taste first and see if you notice a difference. If its starting to taste like wet paper or cardboard, you have problems.

Travesty:

Yes it is in five gal carboy. Will wait couple of weeks and give it a taste. Think it might be ok as it is still fermenting. We shall see. Might just leave it alone for couple more months, but could use the carboy as have some kits to put together and blackberries are coming on....

Thanks for your help.

Back