My world has changed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashz

Reaction score
So I felt ambitious tonight. Got home from work a bit early, decided to chainsaw a few limbs that had fallen in the last storm. Felt extra ambitious and mowed the lawn to start the cycle for the year. SWMBO got home in the middle of me doing the lawn and was tinkering around the house. I came in and cracked a beer and did the "just got done mowing the lawn" swallow of beer that tastes so good.

SWMBO says "I have to tell you something"

I cringe as I instinctively grab my wallet, "what?" I manage.

"I am Pregnant"

processing...processing...processing...HOLY *&^%. Processing...processing..Is this good or bad? I can't see why it's bad I tell myself. She is emotional as hell, I just hug her and say this is good. She agreed. I feel like I just took the hardest right cross to the jaw ever.

Parents don't even know....just had to share. :mug:

/World Changed

Congratulations! My world changed when I was just barely 20 years old, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Just roll with it! You could plan your whole life out and it wouldn't do any good, you still get curveballs every once in a while. Just love that woman and that baby, and work hard to provide for them!

Congrats.

Don't stress about raising kids and brewing beer they go great together.

s#it kids foot is stuck in the toilet bowel again
gotta go!

I hope it all goes smoothly and that fatherhood is as wonderful for you as it has been for me. Your families will worry but I am sure they will be supportive - at least I hope so.

Thanks for sharing. I will keep you all in my prayers.

My first is due in June/July. I know, that feeling of "holy sh*t, this is scary and awesome at the same time!" is a *****. I don't know if you guys were planning on it like we were, or BC failed or what, but either way...congrats!

You can't begin to imagine the changes, but there's more good than bad. Hey, my sons are brewing with me now!

Congrats, man!! Just got back from my 6yo daughter's first soccer practice of the season(I am the coach.) It is absolutely amazing to watch them grow and find their way. And BTW, once they get old enough, they make built-in assistant brewers!

I have a couple little rats around here somewhere... our third is on the way this summer. Being a father is the most important and rewarding job you will ever have in your life.

I dont know what I would do if I no longer got tackled by them when I get home from a week of flying. I love to Skype with them when I am on the road, chilling at the airport or in the hotel.

They soak up EVERYTHING you say and do, which is good, and bad... they make you much more self aware. If you say a bad word, they will tell you about it... when they act out, they will point out that YOU act the same way when you are frustrated.

They are funny, they are amazing, and your life will never be the same. Mine are 9, 6, and 7 months in the womb... the have made my life. I dont think I could live a life for myself alone... what fun is that?

I hope it all goes smoothly and that fatherhood is as wonderful for you as it has been for me. Your families will worry but I am sure they will be supportive - at least I hope so.

Thanks for sharing. I will keep you all in my prayers.

All is well with this, I am turning 34 and she is 32, we have been together for 10 years. Though I haven't made an "honest" woman of her. Silly saying anyway in my opinion.

I don't want to give the impression that we didn't want this or that it is bad.
Actually I feel pretty good about this. It's still early yet. Probably only 6 weeks. Hence the reason we haven't told the parents. They, on both sides, have been baby crazy for years. We just have either been careful or didn't think we were ready. Whatever it was is out the window now.

I am ****ting bricks over one thing though. Twins....her family consistently has twins...aunts, grandma, great grandma, and it seems to have skipped this generation conveniently.

It is still sinking in, and the arrogant bastard is making me a bit giddy with the thoughts. I am sure that will wear off quickly. :)

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Is it sad that one of the first things I asked is if I had to sell my Jeep?

Congrats! I can definitely say it is a truly wonderful experience. My little girl is only 4 months, but nothing beats coming home from work and having her get a big smile just at the site of your face and the sound of your voice.

ooops, just finisehd reading about your jeep - I sold the convertible Mustang I had since HS when we found out we were expecting -- not that I had to (we weren't hurting for the money) but something in me started saying to be more responsible and it had sat unlicensed and uninsured for 4 years. so it didn't seem like keeping it was the right thing to do when we could buy the baby furniture with that money rather than other funds.

I kept my bike

I'll leave it up to you to choose the right message from me, depending on your mood...

1)Congrats!!!!
2)My Condolences.
3)My prayers are with you and your family at this time...

Actually number three is my answer despite whether or not it's a congrats, or condolemce.

:mug:

Congrats! Don't worry about the Jeep. If you really end up needing to sell it, you won't much care about it compared to the shorty.

I've got 3 kiddos now, and every time there were two pink indicator bars I had the same smack-in-the-face-with-reality feeling.

Everything will go fine, and I'm sure you'll have a healthy baby. 2 of my kids weren't even born in a hospital (you know us homebrewers, we like to do everything ourselves) and all are absolutely perfect.

Many congrats. As cliche as it is to say, you will never find a more important or rewarding thing to do than to be a parent. For me, and hopefully for you, there is nothing greater than hearing the word "daddy." :mug:

Ahsz,
Congratulations.
If people waited until they were truly ready for children, they'd never have children. You're going to be just fine.
Hope your SWMBO has a uneventful pregnancy and a healthy child.:mug:

Note to Evan!
Congratulations to you and your significant other, too.

Congrats! :mug:

BTW your avatar is giving me the creepy eyes!!! :eek:

Red Meat Rules!!

bugeyeblink.gif

Congratulations! Just keep it all in perspective. Remember that people have been raising kids throughout the history of mankind, and we're still around. :D

I do remember the days before the kids came along. When I look back on them, I think about how dull our lives really were. They've been a lot of fun (although a lot more work) since my first son was born. Just remember that loving your child is as good as it gets. That child most certainly will love you.

TL

FWIW, dont fret about brewing. I am away 20 days and nights each month and have 2 kiddos... I have plenty of free time to brew, I mean, what the heck else am I doing when I get home?

Kids love to brew, even if they are in thier bouncey seat! :rockin:

If you have time to post here, you have time to brew... congrats and no worries!

Woohooo!!!!

Welcome to the ranks of Daddyhood! My own daughter is starting to visit colleges in perperation for her senior year in high school. I still remember fondly the day she was born and holding her for the first time. Even if it's an unexpected thing, it is awesome.

Best kick your butt job you will ever love and never get paid any money for.

FWIW, dont fret about brewing. I am away 20 days and nights each month and have 2 kiddos... I have plenty of free time to brew, I mean, what the heck else am I doing when I get home?

Kids love to brew, even if they are in thier bouncey seat! :rockin:

If you have time to post here, you have time to brew... congrats and no worries!

I agree with this 100% - I have found that you have time to do what you make time to do. I don't buy the excuse that people don't have time to (insert hobby here) anymore because they have a kid.

Congrats, man.

The best way I have ever been able to describe fatherhood....

You know when you put a compass on a magnet, it spins in all directions? Becoming a father for the first time is like taking that compass off of the magnet. You finally get pointed in a definite direction. All of a sudden, everything else seems kind of trivial and secondary to the little guy (or girl) that you never imagined you could possibly love so much.

As for the Jeep? Do what you want. I don't think I have ever met a parent who thought that they had enough money to cover the kids. Whether you keep it or not (the Jeep) you won't have enough. Even if you don't buy more crap, you'll just buy more expensive crap if you had more money. If you really want it, keep it. I'm sure you'll find a way to afford it if its that important.

And welcome to the most fun ride that you could imagine for the next 18 years. Sit down, buckle up, and be prepared to be amazed.....

Congrats, as a first time father of a 9 month old I can only say it's the best thing in the world!

I just can't wait till he is old enough to help with the brewing. At least I'll have a bottle capper :)

Congrats! THink of it this way, you know how proud you feel when you brew up some beer that just blows your mind, regardless of what other people think, well that is how you will feel about your kids. They will impress you each and every day. Well until they become teenagers that is!:D But seriously, having kids is like coming full circle. THings just click and make sense.

You think that's bad? The lady I'm seeing on the side just told me that she's knocked up too, but at least she told her boyfriend that it was his. I think the only reason she started screwing me is so she could get pregnant and make the bum see is living with marry her!

Congrats! I have two girls and they haven't stopped me from brewing. You'll make a great dad. We all figure it out by the time they move out.:D

Kids are great.

I think all parents get frustrated at times, but in the end it's all good.

I know guys aren't supposed to get all mushy, but my youngest daughter is 6 and there I times when I wish she would just stop growing because she is at the perfect age and such a joy to be around. She was completely unplanned and I jokingly refer to her as the best mistake I ever made.

My others are 17 (daughter) three boys 14, 13, and 12 and a 7 year old daughter. Yes, I have more than a few kids and everyone of them brings something unique to the family that I wouldn't be able to live without.

Your outlook has changed for sure. Your world, not so much.

Your wife however, will be changing very soon, and very often.

She'll get hungry, sappy, sleepy, irate, poofy, bloaty, gassy, and......oh......so.......horney but her boobs will hurt so bad she'll smack you for even looking at them, nothing will fit, and that is just the first month!

Eventually, she'll start to leak and never be wearing the right outfit for that and it'll be YOUR fault.

The babe will come and time will still tick tock. Nothing really changes THAT much you just find you have more stuff to do in less time.

What will change forever is your outlook on life. It's up to you whether that outlook is good or bad.

Ha ha! I wondered if anyone would call me out on that! :D

No, I'm happily married and have two great kids. It was horribly scary at first. Working in a factory 6-7 days a week, sometimes 12 hour days, going to college nearly full time, remodeling a house, and then WHAM! "I'm pregnant."

I tell you it very nearly, literally, caused me to have a nervous breakdown. But I'm fine now!! HA HA!!!

Seriously, it's not as bad as you are thinking right now. Yes, things will change, but it's all good. If you are involved with the child you will find wonder and joy around every corner. Well, once they are sleeping though the night anyway. Before then, you will just be tired.

Oh, yeah, no reason to stop brewing as long as you are taking care of your wife and your new baby. They will need a lot of attention for a while, but brewing doesn't take that much time and money. Maybe switch to extract for a couple of months if you want to shave some time off the brew day.

congrats kids will change you, your wife and your lives forever and just when you think their gone and out on their own they come back..... just something to look forward to..lol

Your outlook has changed for sure. Your world, not so much.

Your wife however, will be changing very soon, and very often.

She'll get hungry, sappy, sleepy, irate, poofy, bloaty, gassy, and......oh......so.......horney but her boobs will hurt so bad she'll smack you for even looking at them, nothing will fit, and that is just the first month!

Eventually, she'll start to leak and never be wearing the right outfit for that and it'll be YOUR fault.

The babe will come and time will still tick tock. Nothing really changes THAT much you just find you have more stuff to do in less time.

What will change forever is your outlook on life. It's up to you whether that outlook is good or bad.

HaHA! Thanks for stripping it to the bare bones.

quick update on the progress. She has got Morning sickness BAD. I feel pretty bad, especially now being on the left coast and she back home on the right. She is doing ginger tea and vitamins, and everything suggested but the morning sickness is kicking her butt. Oh well only a few months of that left to go. :(

Latest posts

Back