"Good" grain crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
Now that I am going AG, my brewing equipment needs some additions. A good grain mill seems to be a high priority as the grains I keep getting from the online supply shop has about 30% of the grains complely whole and uncracked. I would like one I can hook a drill up to as to save some hand cranking. Also, I think an adjustable plate would be good.

Now the tricky part - I am currently unemployed so economy is key here. I don't mind spending the bucks on something if it is really worth it, but would be easier to obtain on a less expensive unit. I am not a heavy brewer and will usually do 2 batches a month or so.

Any ideas, thoughts, or advice on what to look for in a good mill or recommendations?

Thanks,
Dan

I recommend a Barley Crusher. It has everything you said you would like, and it is relatively inexpensive compared to other mills. Hooks right up to a drill and give an outstanding crush. Barley Crushers are pretty much a slam dunk you will love this mill type of purchase.

Ed

Corona type mills are cheap and will do the job however adjustment can be tricky and roller mills do a much better job.

You may be able to save some money by buying a bare bones roller mill and making the hopper and base your self. For a complete ready to go unit Barley Crusher is probably the least expensive roller mill. It does everything you listed, is well built and can produce an excellent crush. But it is still over $100.

Craig

I have a BarleyCrusher, and it's awesome. It's just about as cheap as you can find for a two-roller mill. Save the $$ and buy a 7# hopper; the 15# is unnecessary. Great, consistent crush, lifetime warranty, and it works out of the box. Never heard anyone who bought one and didn't end up loving it.

Now, some people do report having good luck with Corona mills, which very cheap. They're fussier, though. Seems like about half the people here like their Coronas and half want to replace them, FWIW.

...I am not a heavy brewer and will usually do 2 batches a month or so...

At 24 batches a month...you're a more heavy brewer than most.

I've got about 100 batches (most of them 10-gallons) on this Barley Crusher. Just like new except for the banged up edges where I tipped it a few months back.

Just over $100 for the smaller hopper size.

Crusher_2.jpg

Crusher_3.jpg

Here is my mill, perhaps the ticket if $$ is tight, works well for me. You can find them for $20, shipping is expensive as they are heavy. I will warn you though, these types of mills require an initial adjustment of the grinding plates to achieve acceptable results. If you are not mechanicly inclined, or have more than two thumbs, this may not be the mill for you.

Nice Barley Crusher there BierMuncher, your mill has mine beat, but I think my drill could kick your drills a$$. j/k :mug:

HPIM04995B25D.jpg

Back