Hoppin' in Missouri

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobjenkins79

Reaction score
Well, my hops came in from homebrewery.com today. I got 1 Centennial, 2 Fuggles, and 4 Tettnanger.

The Fuggles & Centennial look pretty good, but the Tettnangers are HUGE.
I bet they're as big around as the thick end of a pool cue. Crazy.

Unfortunately they came w/ no planting instructions, but I'm quite sure all that info is right here on HBT.

I also got my first Corny today from ebay. :rockin: :D :rockin:

I'm damn near a real brewer now. It's getting serious.:fro:

Sorry for the lame post, but I had to share. Pics to come

bob

I got my rhizomes last week. They are in pots right now, and a couple have already sprouted. Im in southwest MO, and planted in the wrong place last time. Too much sun and not enough water. Got a new spot picked out, hope for better results this time. Good luck!

No such thing as too much sun. Not enough water, I can identify with. I'm looking into putting the drip system on a moisture detector.

bobjenkins79 said:
Unfortunately they came w/ no planting instructions, but I'm quite sure all that info is right here on HBT.

Some basic pointers are in this article. If you need more, go to the second from last paragraph of the article and there is a "Beer Bits" link to a whole bunch of other hop growing resources.

Cheers,
Brad

We have some pretty harsh summers here in Missouri (I'm from St. Louis and in KC right now). I'm going to give hop growing a try this year to. I believe its possible that some varieties might not do that well with to much, such as Goldings (as is stated they they don't do that well in Arkansas http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=March-31-2008-Homegrown-Hop-Trellis ). That's a good overall video to watch about growing hops.

Bob, Im southwest of Springfield. Im going to move my patch this year to a spot that has a bit more shade, but will still get plenty of sun. Hopefully it will retain more moisture, and I am starting my plants in pots this year to maybe get a better start

congrats, and I don't think there is such a thing as a useless post about cool things happening around the brewery that you want to share with the rest of us, it's exciting and we all want to hear!

I'm in SW MO, also (Branson). I'm going to try and let my hops get as much morning sun as possible, and then keep them in partial shade in the afternoon.

I'm in Springfield. Planting in full sun this time. I planted a couple of years ago 1 in full sun 1 in partial. Full sun did better but I did lose both last year during ice storm, so I'm starting all over again.

Back