Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68*+ lovely sunny degrees here at the CA coast - took a ride around the bay, waves at 18 feet, high tide, full moon - made for some really pretty crashers.

Overheard from my own mouth while I was pouring beers today - complained to my husband, "Sometimes I don't get any head at all and other times I get WAY too much!" I asked him to teach me to pour the beers properly next time! ;)

Is there such a thing as way too much head? Ohh you were talking about beer..

Exactly! Everything starts two months before it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I heard Jim Koch in an interview saying that the reason for it is to make sure they sell their entire stock.

Whatever the reason, it's still stupid and I wont be buying fall beer til October.

I heard Jim Koch in an interview saying that the reason for it is to make sure they sell their entire stock.

Whatever the reason, it's still stupid and wont be buying fall beer til October.

Exactly! An Oktoberfest is not what I feel like drinking when ot is August and 94F.

Whatever the reason, it's still stupid and I wont be buying fall beer til October.

Exactly! An Oktoberfest is not what I feel like drinking when ot is August and 94F.

Ant that is why I purchased from my local brewery. Produced at the proper time of year and it was FRESH!

You guys don't understand marketing. The (very wise) crafty brewers are getting Oktoberfest out in March to remind you (oh so stupid) homebrewers that it's time to make some Marzen. They only have your best interest at heart.

I would buy DFH Punkin from late September straight through to Christmas to help make sure the whole stock is sold. But it's long gone before September starts.

if there is a month with at least 1 days in it, I will indiscriminately drink any style of beer. y'all are too hung up on seasons.
At least I'm consistent. I don't drink pumpkin ales or spiced beers when they're in season unless they're free, and I don't drink them the rest of the year either. The last time I opened a seasonal Sam Adams thingie I didn't realize was spiced, I almost spat it out. My immediate, heartfelt reaction (as my wife will attest) was, "WTF is this crap in my beer?" C'mon, guys... who really thinks sticking cinnamon and ginger in a lager is a good idea?!?! If I want cinnamon and ginger, I'll have a slice of pie.

Yeah, I know. I'm not only misanthropic, I'm narrow-minded and refuse to widen my horizons.... and I'm probably outnumbered.:p

Not quite alone. If I want fruit & spices,I'll eat something like pie or whatever with that in it. Just pick a beer that goes well with it. I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to brewing.

if there is a month with at least 1 days in it, I will indiscriminately drink any style of beer. y'all are too hung up on seasons.

You got it. And Sammy's "Fest" as it is affectionately referred to around my house, is so damn good I'll drink it year round if they'll let me have it.

No kidding, it's like 68-70F in my house year round. Perfect temp for enjoying just about every style of beer imaginable.

Haha! And I have yet to brew a beer for a particular season. I brewed an ESB for St. Patties Day. Hardly Irish.

I gave a Bmc drinking coworker a Bohemian pils last weekend. He came back to work on Tuesday and said he loved it! Tastes exactly like bud light!!!! Doh! I thanked him for the insult.

Yeah, it happens. I made a hoppier Centennial Blonde that went over well at a BBQ. Except one guy told me that it was like Blue Moon. One of us was pretty wide of the mark.

A guy once told me that my pilsner tasted just like shiner bock and blue moon

A couple friends, my SWMBO, and I went to the improv last weekend.

We asked the waiter what they had (not much of course) but had a seasonal that I hadn't heard of before. So I asked him what was like.

His reply: "well it's a lager ale, not all that dark, not all that light, it's a bit hoppy to me"

As he walked away to get me a Sam Adams rebel IPA (only thing that sounded actually worth drinking) I just looked at the rest of the table and they were all looking at me. My response "does anyone know what he just described?"

Sent from a happy little yeastie.

"well it's a lager ale, not all that dark, not all that light, it's a bit hoppy to me" .

So, it's beer...and he used a bunch of "beer words"...to describe a beer...

I'm not sure, but if its that confusing to someone who clearly knows nothing about beer, and just can't describe what he's tasting, I might actually be intrigued enough to actually try it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

A couple friends, my SWMBO, and I went to the improv last weekend.

We asked the waiter what they had (not much of course) but had a seasonal that I hadn't heard of before. So I asked him what was like.

His reply: "well it's a lager ale, not all that dark, not all that light, it's a bit hoppy to me"

As he walked away to get me a Sam Adams rebel IPA (only thing that sounded actually worth drinking) I just looked at the rest of the table and they were all looking at me. My response "does anyone know what he just described?"

Sent from a happy little yeastie.

Waiters at an improv show are generally wannabe performers, with no interest in what they're being paid to do.

Working at the LHBS/taproom the other day. A customer decided to tell me that he felt ashamed asking if we had Coors Light (which we don't and never will have on tap). Long story short he went on to talk about how he can't drink Guinness because it tastes like black coffee, even though it's "potent $h1t".

As we drive through the suburbs of Denver 'Now that's a true Belgian beer', pointing at a Blue Moon billboard. (the sad part is the dude is Belgian)

Um. That's bad.

I love Belgians. I hate Blue Moon with a damn passion...orange and beer do not mix.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Working at the LHBS/taproom the other day. A customer decided to tell me that he felt ashamed asking if we had Coors Light (which we don't and never will have on tap). Long story short he went on to talk about how he can't drink Guinness because it tastes like black coffee, even though it's "potent $h1t".

I have to confess, before I started brewing, and expanding my beer palette, I thought Guinness tasted like Budweiser with charcoal in it. When I tried it again last St Patrick's Day, I appreciated it more.

Lol, potent he calls it. lol.

I have a batch of proper Guinness style ale brewed in the tradition of circa 1900 Guinness brewery history. It might be considered "potent" by the standards of swill drinkers everywhere. Weighing in at 7.5-8.0 ABV, it is far removed from the Guinness people know today. Ah, the good ol' days.

The orange flavor is there, with or without the fruit slice.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Of course it is. It's brewed with orange peel. I personally don't mind the orange slice. It makes it unique. I used to really like blue moon, but I don't drink it any more because it gives me heartburn. All wheat beers do.

Of course it is. It's brewed with orange peel. I personally don't mind the orange slice. It makes it unique. I used to really like blue moon, but I don't drink it any more because it gives me heartburn. All wheat beers do.

The orange slice is a delicious addition. I don't care what anyone says.

It's drinkable, more so than regular Coors. I'd like it more if it gained a few gravity points and was fermented with a Belgian or a hefe yeast. It definitely shouldn't have the word Belgian on the label, that confuses people, it's an American wheat beer.

It's drinkable, more so than regular Coors. I'd like it more if it gained a few gravity points and was fermented with a Belgian or a hefe yeast. It definitely shouldn't have the word Belgian on the label, that confuses people, it's an American wheat beer.

It even says it twice! "Belgian-style Belgian white beer" :confused:

It has coriander and orange peel, like... umm... a Belgian wit. But it has an American twist in that it uses a neutral yeast. So it's Belgian-style. Not Belgian.

I don't think a hefe yeast would give you a Belgian-style anything. It would give you a German-style Belgian-style wit.

Back