Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had to jump in and say a huge "thank you!" For this recipe. The best Saison I've done yet! Beautiful color, excellent head and lacing, and the flavor is delightfully peppery, light but complex, and just a hint of the pound of honey I added.
Oh, god, swmbo just said I sound like a wine snob! Oh we'll. I'm loving this one!
I made a second batch at one week in and put it right on the yeast cake after racking this one. I used a pound of piloncillo instead of honey for that one and will be bottling it tomorrow.
Thanks again. This one will be in the regular line up from now on.
Btw, I used the Belle Saison yeast and ferment in the mid eighties for the first week. I like this yeast.

image-2559324904.jpg

This recipe is winding down as summer draws to a close I see,

As for this guy? I'm planning on brewing it a few times this winter, using a heating pad connected to my fermentation chamber controller...

A Chicago winter isn't stopping me from stockpiling kegs of saison!

I love my saisons and your recipe is great.

I brew them all year. In the cooler months a cooler full of water to put your fermenter in and a good aquarium heater works wonders. I have one that I can keep the temp up to almost 90 in a 58 degree basement.

beergolf said:
I love my saisons and your recipe is great. I brew them all year. In the cooler months a cooler full of water to put your fermenter in and a good aquarium heater works wonders. I have one that I can keep the temp up to almost 90 in a 58 degree basement.

Ditto here, when I did a Tank 7 clone (ish) I used 3724 and was able to keep it at or above 90 in the swamp cooler. It still took 6 weeks!!!

took a bottle of this down my local bar last night. Bar owner loved it so much he said he would swap me a pint for every bottle I brought in, as many as I wanted :D

I told him it was better than any of his tap beers so I wouldn't be taking him up on the offer too often,.

Tasted mine this weekend that i brewed on 9/6, 10 gallon batch. One fermenter at 1.005, another at 1.007. The 1.005 was better of course, dry and a little peppery, but even the 1.007 is good. Going to give this a little while longer, I put them in swamp coolers with heaters at 77 and swirled a little, and have noticed a tiny bit of airlock activity today... can't wait to get this batch on tap. Even at 1.005 this batch is at 7.9%...

Don't mean to be redundant...I couldn't go through all post. What's the ABV% on this bad boy! I soo want to brew it this weekend!! Thanks!

Brewed this on 8/21. I subbed out all German hops, partly because it's ironic and partially because that's what I had lying around, and midway through the bottle conditioning period I'm thinking that the gentler, noble hops aren't enough to balance out the beer's sweetness. We'll see, though. I just couldn't resist cracking one open early!

Trail said:
I subbed out all German hops, partly because it's ironic...

How hipster of you! :)

This beer dried out for me (FG 1.002), so I don't find it sweet. The honey (which has a perceived sweetness) was fairly prominent in mine when it was young but it faded after a month of conditioning. What was your FG?

1.016. Suspect insufficient aeration was the culprit, we'll see how the next batch does. I brewed a mild last week which I aerated that way and despite being the smallest beer I've ever brewed it was by far the most violent. Krausen everywhere.

Trail said:
1.016. Suspect insufficient aeration was the culprit, we'll see how the next batch does. I brewed a mild last week which I aerated that way and despite being the smallest beer I've ever brewed it was by far the most violent. Krausen everywhere.

Yeah that's high. What temp did you ferment at? Used the French saison yeast?

Trail said:
Belgian saison yeast, and it was about 88 degrees.
Wyeast 3724? Or white labs 565? It might not be done. Mine took six weeks and I had to bring it up to 90+. I would add a pack of French saison, wy3711.

Wyeast... and it'd better be done, as it's bottled. ;) It spent 5 weeks in the fermenter, and gravity was rocksteady for the last two.

As I think I said, it's likely an aeration issue - I'll re-brew the recipe in the spring and we'll see what happens.

Finally got around to trying this Sasion brew..

2.5 gal spring water, 160 deg strike. Steep at 155 for 45min
2 lbs Pilsner Malt (2-row)
1.50 lbs White Wheat
0.50 lbs CaraMunich Malt
0.50 lbs Flaked Oats
Sparge with 4 qt spring water at 170 deg... 1 qt over 5 min
0.7 oz. NZ Motueka@FWH
0.7 oz. EKG @FWH
Add 1 gal spring water
Bring to boil, flame out...
add 4 lbs Pilsen DME , bring to boil

0.7 oz. EKG @30 min
1.25 oz. EKG @15 min
1 teaspoon Irish Moss at 15 min
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper @5 min

1 lbs Local Organic Honey @5 min ( I know I’m boiling off much of the Honey adjunct.. but it’s local harvested honey, and I don’t trust it to not have bacteria, dog hair, and perhaps little bits of bee..lol
Chill to 65 deg
top to 5 gal (1.25 gal spring water)
Mix for 2 min
2 min O2 infusion
Pitch Belle Saison Yeast 11g Dry Lallemand

OG 1.059

Into the fermentation chamber it goes at 17c for 14 days....

Kegged five gallons of my batch today, it was down to 1.003! Very dry and tastes great.

I brewed this last night. I used citra hops, only had access to caravienne instead of caramunich and I couldn't find orange blossom honey at my Kroger so I used some local honey. I went with 3711 and it's bubbling away nicely, I used a blowoff tube after reading some of the posts. I will post a picture when it's ready.

Brewing this again today as the last lot is almost gone, going to be gutted to have a few weeks with none of this to drink.

Does this age pretty well? I have ten gallons and half is kegged, the other half in primary still. Came out above 8% and is very dry, but it could stand to mellow out a little. At 8%+ I'd think this is one that will improve with age?

After a few weeks of conditioning, my honey saison is marvelous. Very layered taste, and though it's not as dry as I planned I think I will need to do this on purpose from time to time.

honeysaison2.jpg

(Ignore the hairline scratches in my tulip... I washed it out while wearing a tungsten ring last week. And it's my favourite specialty glass!)

Trail said:
After a few weeks of conditioning, my honey saison is marvelous. Very layered taste, and though it's not as dry as I planned I think I will need to do this on purpose from time to time. (Ignore the hairline scratches in my tulip... I washed it out while wearing a tungsten ring last week. And it's my favourite specialty glass!)

Wow that just looks like autumn. Gorgeous

Does this age pretty well? I have ten gallons and half is kegged, the other half in primary still. Came out above 8% and is very dry, but it could stand to mellow out a little. At 8%+ I'd think this is one that will improve with age?

I cellar this beer quite often, it mellows out rather nicely.... In a years time it matures into a completely different animal, the pepper does fade away for the most part :(

azscoob said:
I cellar this beer quite often, it mellows out rather nicely.... In a years time it matures into a completely different animal, the pepper does fade away for the most part :(
Wondering if it would also work to secondary this, add some oak, and some Brett and let age like that in a carboy for a few months?

If you do, I would replace sugar/honey with grain and mash higher. That will help save some gravity for the Brett.

tagz said:
If you do, I would replace sugar/honey with grain and mash higher. That will help save some gravity for the Brett.
Is it too late to add Brett and age on wood if it has already fermented out to 1.003?

What I heard in another thread is that Brett will eat most of the flavor that a saison yeast puts out. It won't have a lot of the funk or spiciness.

A couple of my favorite saisons I've tried are boulevard tank 7 Brett and the goose island sofie version aged with Brett in white wine barrels. Trying to get some flavors like these.

Finally got around to trying this Sasion brew..

2.5 gal spring water, 160 deg strike. Steep at 155 for 45min
2 lbs Pilsner Malt (2-row)
1.50 lbs White Wheat
0.50 lbs CaraMunich Malt
0.50 lbs Flaked Oats
Sparge with 4 qt spring water at 170 deg... 1 qt over 5 min
0.7 oz. NZ Motueka@FWH
0.7 oz. EKG @FWH
Add 1 gal spring water
Bring to boil, flame out...
add 4 lbs Pilsen DME , bring to boil

0.7 oz. EKG @30 min
1.25 oz. EKG @15 min
1 teaspoon Irish Moss at 15 min
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper @5 min

1 lbs Local Organic Honey @5 min ( I know I’m boiling off much of the Honey adjunct.. but it’s local harvested honey, and I don’t trust it to not have bacteria, dog hair, and perhaps little bits of bee..lol
Chill to 65 deg
top to 5 gal (1.25 gal spring water)
Mix for 2 min
2 min O2 infusion
Pitch Belle Saison Yeast 11g Dry Lallemand

OG 1.059

Into the fermentation chamber it goes at 17c for 14 days....

16 days later
5 gal transferred to carboy
Specific Gravity of 1.007 :ban:

added 1/2 tsp gel in 1/2 cup of boiled water.

off to the dark for a few more days.

You weren't kidding about 3711 being a beast, brewed on 10/11 and checked gravity today and it's at 1.002 from 1.055 of 6 gallons of brew.

16 days later
5 gal transferred to carboy
Specific Gravity of 1.007 :ban:

added 1/2 tsp gel in 1/2 cup of boiled water.

off to the dark for a few more days.
This beer went into the keg 5 days ago.

30psi @2.2c for 18 hours, purged, 12psi @2.2c for 4 more days.
Drew a pint last night.

It is not bad,,,, but as it's my first brew of a "cottage ale" and use of a Saison yeast... I have nothing to compare it to in order to judge if i brewed what was "expected"

It has the "slightly sour" notes I have read about.... It is dry... It is ok.. not sure if it does not get to "good" in my personal likes because of how brewed, or I just don't care for the style. :(

I finally got my hands on a vial of ECY Bug County... thinking about trying it out with this saison recipe (which with the 3711 is one of my favorite beers I've brewed to date) for an extra funky version.

Just picked up the rest of the grains for this today. Ill be brewing this tomorrow with a pound of rye malt - inspired by the How Rye I Am saison recipe on this forum. Looking forward to the 3711 as this is my first batch into this type of brew (I.e. anything french/Belgian).

Cheers!

Just picked up the rest of the grains for this today. Ill be brewing this tomorrow with a pound of rye malt - inspired by the How Rye I Am saison recipe on this forum. Looking forward to the 3711 as this is my first batch into this type of brew (I.e. anything french/Belgian).

Cheers!

Good luck! Make sure to get 3711 up into the 70s.

I took mine to LHBS and asked the owner who is a certified beer judge to rate. I was a little bummed. He picked up astringency, which I learned I may be getting by over sparging. I have not been checking my gravity of my final runnings. I learned that you should not let them go below 1.010 or they can include tannins which will make it astringent. Other than that he liked it except said it was out of style being 8%, it would have to be entered as a Belgian specialty ale. Overall if you were judging it he rated at about a 30. This was also due to lack of carbonation. I filled a bottle from the keg and couldn't keep it from foaming. By the time he got it it was pretty flat.

Back