Scrimshaw Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffcosgrove

Reaction score
I couldn't find a clone recipe for this North Coast Brewing beer that my wife and I really enjoy. It is also fairly difficult to find here in Ohio. I made this based on the information on their website and my wife and I agree it is spot on and maybe just a bit better. Let me know what you think.

I made a 3.5L starter with 2 Wyeast 2007 Activators. I fermented at 48F with a D-Rest for 48 hours at 58F. I then lagered at 32F for 4 weeks.

Recipe: Scrimshaw 2
Brewer: Jeff Cosgrove
Asst Brewer:
Style: German Pilsner (Pils)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 87.18 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Bonlander Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 12.82 %
1.25 oz Hallertauer [4.20 %] (75 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
0.55 oz Tettnang [3.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.27 oz Tettnang [3.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.6 IBU

2 Pkgs Pilsen Lager (Wyeast Labs #2007) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.63 qt of water at 164.0 F 150.0 F

How did this turn out? I love scrimshaw and am about to try making something like this for my first lager. I was thinking of adding a small amount (like .25 lbs) of melanoidin and perhaps crystal 10.

As I said in the post it tastes just like it, maybe a little bit better in my opinion. I have made the recipe about 4 times now and really like it.

Excellent thanks. Will be my first lager. , can’t be too hard right? Lots of yeast and good temp control.

Is the D-rest held at 58 at the end of the fermentation to finish it off? Or at the start?

I usually brew 4-5 batches of lager this time of year to get me through the summer.
I'm putting this one on the list, but probably changing up the yeast. Thanks for posting.

Back