All grain necessities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick0122

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm switching from extract to all grain. I have the essentials (kettle, mash tun, wort cooler, etc...) are there any small items that you guys wouldn't do without?

I found out during my first all grain batch (after many extracts) that you need another kettle. If you only have one, you need another. You have to have a pot of hot water to sparge with, so now you have to have another pot for your first runnings!

I have a 4 quart hard plastic measuring vessel that I picked up at a commercial food service supply place for like 12 bucks. It's marked in 1qt increments. Makes measuring sparge water as well as measuring collected wort really easy.

A mill and plenty of malt to put through it. I second the second pot. It helps speed up the boil when making bigger beers.

chickypad said:
Mash paddle.

And dude, 4 threads asking the same question is a little excessive, no?;)

Ha it kept telling me duplicate thread yesterday apparently it went ahead and posted them all anyway

I recommend you do a test with your mash tun to determine the rate of your temp loss (if any). This allows you to plan your water strategy. I second having a good thermometer and a second kettle to heat water in.

ByramMike said:
I recommend you do a test with your mash tun to determine the rate of your temp loss (if any). This allows you to plan your water strategy. I second having a good thermometer and a second kettle to heat water in.

Thanks that's a great idea

Back