wlp001 for wlp007 substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
so I've got a lh milk stout clone that i brewed with wlp001 that I'll be putting into secondary this sunday (split into 3rds--vanilla, cocoa nibs, & left alone--but that's besides the point, I'm just excited).

my question is: i wanna give ahs toasted coconut porter a try & was hoping that i could just pitch onto the cake of the wlp001. what do you think? i was concerned but now i think it'll be just fine, b/c of wlp001's versatility. I know that a dry english ale yeast(wlp007 is called for) might be more true to the style but I think the ca ale will work too.

any thoughts?

rdwhahb right?

I would say do it and see how it comes out. I would say it couldn't turn out bad just not to style(oh well as long as you like it).

Sure, it'll work - it'll just be different than the original recipe. 001 will make a fine porter. Oh, and have a blowoff ready. Pitching on a yeast cake will give you crazy, even explosive fermentation activity within hours. Cheers!

you weren't kiddin' about the blowoff tube...3 hours in & I can hear the bubbles with the freezer door closed. explosive indeed, good stuff.

Back