strike temp ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkasi2012

Reaction score
Do you guys boil water to you exact strike temperature to meet the temp u want 2 mash @ or do you go a couple of degrees higher? Ive noticed that once I pour the water in my mash tun and stir for a minute or so I lose 2 degrees. Would it hurt aiming for a higher temperature ? My main concern is when I'm reaching a higher temperature like making a stout and I'm aiming for a mash temp of 152. Basically is there harm in aiming for 154-155 and stiring for a few minutes 2 drop to 152 ?
Thanks in advance!

no harm there. can stir like the dickens or keep some cool water on the side to add in if necessary.

I have overshot my temps by a few degrees and did exactly as you said, stir for a few minutes until it cools to my target temp. I haven't had any ill effects. I think the most important thing is that your sacc rest is at the proper temp. A couple minutes above shouldn't hurt anything.

It's fully dependent on your equipment and your procedures to determine your strike temp.

My mash tun, I add boiling water to it to pre-heat to about 100 deg, and I use BeerSmith to give me the temps to heat to. Typically, it's about 15 deg above my desired mash temp.

If I didn't pre-heat, I'd need to heat my strike water up probably 2 deg more.

It's fine to go a little high and then stir or add a small bit of ice to bring it down.

Agree with everyone else. I heat my tun with hot water, add my grains, then add my strike water. I shoot for about 11 degrees above my target mash temp. Sometimes I hit it on the nose and other times I have to stir and/or add cool water.

I'm late, but I'd like to add that in my experience, it's MUCH easier to aim a few degrees high and add some cool water to the mash than is it to try and heat up the mash with hot water. I use ice cubes too, by the way. Less liquid, more cooling.

Even with preheating I've been low with my calculations (well, beersmith's) so I usually aim 2-3 higher and if I hit it, in go the ice.

Back