Mixed-Style Beer Belgian Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3538 Leuven Pale Ale
Yeast Starter
2 Packs this time
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 Gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12 (and RED)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Pitched at 70, went to 76, two days.
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/a
Additional Fermentation
Kegged after roughly two weeks
Tasting Notes
See Detailed Notes Below.
300981_634569106849_58801067_33408048_1155821298_n.jpg

7 lbs Weyermann Munich II Malt
2 lbs Weyermann Carahell
2 lbs American 6-Row

0.6 Ounces Perle 6.5% AAU @ 60
1 Ounces Hallertau 2.3% AAU @ 5
1 Tab Whirflock @ 15 minutes
0.6 TSP Wyeast Yeast Nutrient 10 Mins

Mashed 4 Gallons @ 150 for 60 mins
Batch Sparged 2 gallons @ 170 for 15 mins
Batch Sparged 2 gallons @ 170 for 15 mins

Sight: Beautiful deep set red color (This picture does not do it justice) with a large fluffy thick very off white to light tan head.

Aroma: Munich maltiness, delicate mild Belgian esters of apple and mild mild plumbs, all with the faintest noble, flowery, slightly earthy hop aroma.

Taste: Rich deliciousness malty taste is upfront and apparent. In the background are a complex myriad of flavors consisting of mild fruit esters (the same very faint apple and very mild light plumbs) and a very mild but still apparent earthy flowery hop flavor. The finish is dry with the spiciness that you'd find in a specialty ale, it's all from the yeast though. The spiciness that lingers in the finish starting at the lips and then finishing in your throat like a wave pulling back from the beach almost peppery like. The spicy finish from this yeast goes perfectly with the malt profile.

Mouthfeel: Moderately full to medium body, especially given it's 1.011 finish. It's nourishing and filling but doesn;t leave you feeling bloated and full. That's any good Belgian beer though! The dry crisp spicy finish is one you not only taste but feel as it goes down. Truly a drinking experience.

Drinkability: This is the fastest I've taken down a keg ever. I love this stuff, so do my friends. I will have to brew again for competition beause this batch is about gone! Again, it's a drinking experience.

As a side note, the carahell does not really give this beer any sweetness. If it does it is well hidden by the malty profile, but I feel like the carahell gave it a toastiness and helped saturate the color, alongside improving the mouthfeel and head, just as the standard description reads. It's a great malt to add some extra depth IMO.

As far as variety, I would love to brett this beer with like a Brett B strain or the the strain that infected Goose Island's Matilda, I think it would go very well...

Looks great! Your tasting notes are making me want to try it. I may put this one on the list for a future brew.. or something close.

I made a irish red ale recently that fermented crazy and got up into the upper 70s even in the swamp cooler. It is now a belgian red ale. ;)

GuldTuborg said:
That's a good looking beer! Have you tried it with other yeasts, by chance?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't even seem to find what yeast he DID use...

emjay said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't even seem to find what yeast he DID use...

That's why I was kind of thinking... that he used WLP004 ;)

GuldTuborg, I have not this was the first time I brewed this after constructing it. I'm going to have to brew it with a different yeast when I make more as 3538 was a limited release for Q3. I think any good yeast that isn't citrusy would work well though.

emjay, I used Wyeast 3538 Leuven Pale Ale, check the second line from the very top of the post, above the picture, along with all the other recipe specs :)

SteveBrewSD, thanks btw!

Weird. All the stuff above the picture doesn't show up in the app...

confused how you got it that dark though. my beersmith indicated that the recipe would only be 9.1 SRM. How dark was your Carahell?

~M~

Thanks man! The Carahell on my LHBS's website says 8-12 SRM. The Munich II says 8-10 SRM. Both Weyermann. Maybe they switched it out with something. I will have to update after I brew again...

Did you ever fin anymore out about the grains you used? I am searching for a recipe just like this and according to your tasting notes, it's perfect...

They were what they said. Carahell was the Carahell. I got some more for a pseudo-Dubbel where I used this recipe as a base. Glad you like the sounds of the recipe!

Awesome! I will be buying the stuff tonight to brew here soon. Did you keg it? If so, prime or force?

I kegged and forced carbed it myself, I think I did about 2.5 volumes of co2. Let me know if you have any questions along the way man, I'm happy to help!

Thanks !! I appreciate it! I look forward to trying this one out. Looking at the recipe, what effects do you think CaraRed would have on it over the carahell?

I've never used carared but my understanding is it provides a lot more caramel flavor than carahell. You'd have to change the proportions down to make it drinkable subbing it for carahell.

I am having a hard time getting a hold of some Munich II.. What would be a good sub? Or is Munich 10L the same? Dark Munich?

I'm not familiar with the term sort volume, what exactly are you looking to find out?

Ah that makes sense, I thought you were possibly asking about volumes of co2 pressure and overlooked the obvious typo lol sorry about that.

It is for 5.5 gallons net, post boil.

I just brewed this up last month. I cracked one open early, last week. I have to say, it was great. I added a some sweet and bitter orange peel. Like I said, it was great. I am looking forward to the upcoming weekends of indulgence. Thanks for the recipe!

Anyone care to translate this one to an extract kit for me? That blood red color is awe inspiring.

Hey, this looks like a really interesting recipe. I've been intrigued by using Belgian yeast recently, and have never seen a heavily Munich based recipe with Belgian yeast. Do you have any other recent thoughts on what a good alternative, available yeast would be?

Also, how long did you ferment/age this one before it got really good? I'm hoping I could brew this and have it drinkable by Oct. 1st.

Thank you for the recipe I am going to brew this tomorrow but change a few minor things.

8lb light Munich
2lb. Carahell
2lb. Belgian pale
1oz Hallertau @60
1oz Liberty @30
WLP 575 Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend

I will post my results when finished.

I know this is an older recipe but does anyone have updated info on the yeast used? I can't seem to find the original Wyeast and the only other one mentioned (WLP575) never got a review. Thoughts?

Back