Bottling from Cold Keg - Rise to Room Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavball6

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked and answered a bunch of times, but I am having no luck using search to find the answer.

Is it okay to bottle from my keezer (using Bowie Adapter) and then letting the bottled beer rise to room temperature? I have to believe the answer is "yes" and that it must be common when submitting beers to competitions.

Anyone experience off flavors? Loss of carbonation? Any comments on shelf-life?

Thanks!

Yes you can store the bottles warm. No major issues. Sometimes you might get some settlement after weeks or months. I've bottled beers that have been kegged and cold for months...but those darn yeasties are still there and they still like to work.

I have done this with soda, and it works great despite many naysayers on the forum telling me I'm going to get exploding bottles at that pressure. Nothing has exploded so far.

I am sure this has been asked and answered a bunch of times, but I am having no luck using search to find the answer.

Is it okay to bottle from my keezer (using Bowie Adapter) and then letting the bottled beer rise to room temperature? I have to believe the answer is "yes" and that it must be common when submitting beers to competitions.

Anyone experience off flavors? Loss of carbonation? Any comments on shelf-life?

Thanks!

Hi

Walk into any bar in the area with a growler and ask for a fill up. They walk over to the tap, fill it (hopefully) very full, and close the lid. That's just about what you are doing bottling from a keg (it's not, but it's close). You don't hear to much about "deadly growler explosions" in the news....

If growlers / bottles / cans did not hold the pressure of a properly carbonated beer when it warms up, your local supermarket would likely have a major cleanup on its hands.

Yes yeast can get going in the bottle. Yes if you put a bit too much sugar in and then nuked things to 32.01 degrees, it will get going again. That's a beer making mistake and not the poor bottle's fault. If you make the beer properly you will be fine.

For the absolute in safety, bring the whole keg up to room for a couple of days at the end of the carbonation process. The yeast will do their thing in the keg rather than in the bottle. Check pressure ($9 gauges on kegs can be a handy thing) and move on....

Bob

For the absolute in safety, bring the whole keg up to room for a couple of days at the end of the carbonation process. The yeast will do their thing in the keg rather than in the bottle.

Well, hopefully, he checked that he reached terminal gravity before he kegged the beer.

For the OP, do not bring the whole keg up to room temperature and then try to bottle from the keg...it will be a foamsaster.

When bottling cold kegged beer into bottles, you may experience a loss in carbonation. If you figure that the beer in the keg is properly carbed, you are most likely going to lose a little in the transfer. Warm lines, bottles, and a warmer ambient temperature can all contribute to that. To cut down on that, a lot of people use chilled bottles to minimize foaming and fill as slow as possible (with an acceptable fill rate). I think the basketball needle through the stopper trick works better than burping the stopper when using the Bowie Bottler. That way, you can partially cover the opening to vent a little gas.

Well, hopefully, he checked that he reached terminal gravity before he kegged the beer.

For the OP, do not bring the whole keg up to room temperature and then try to bottle from the keg...it will be a foamsaster.

When bottling cold kegged beer into bottles, you may experience a loss in carbonation. If you figure that the beer in the keg is properly carbed, you are most likely going to lose a little in the transfer. Warm lines, bottles, and a warmer ambient temperature can all contribute to that. To cut down on that, a lot of people use chilled bottles to minimize foaming and fill as slow as possible (with an acceptable fill rate). I think the basketball needle through the stopper trick works better than burping the stopper when using the Bowie Bottler. That way, you can partially cover the opening to vent a little gas.

Hi

I didn't think anybody would take the keg up to room and then bottle from it rather than cooling it back down ....

Bob

Back