The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just snagged me two Timbers Army tickets for next week's game against Sporting KC. If they lose against teams they should beat, then they should win against teams they should lose to, right?

Your logic is sound
well+_b34bd9baaa80b0bfa618eea5f4699097.jpg

:D

I'm taking bets on how long Sporting can keep up the winning streak!

But seriously, jeez... where did they come from?

I'm taking bets on how long Sporting can keep up the winning streak!

But seriously, jeez... where did they come from?

Grew up in Kansas City and went to multiple Wizards games, so I do get some measure of joy in seeing KC play well. That being said, I'm hoping the Dynamo, if no one else, knocks them off come July!

Well I'm sure it's a bummer for you that Houston's season has started so slow. Until this past weekend you guys hadn't played since March 23rd, right?

Maybe it'll be like Sporting's 2011 season: rough road trek followed by dominance in a new home.

Can anyone believe that Barca lost yesterday?!?!?! I have to give the Blues credit for the brute-force defense that kept all of the 24 shots out of the goal, and the amazing work of Cech to keep the few that the defenders missed out of the net.

I sincerely hope their luck runs out at the Camp Nou.

FlyDoctor said:
Can anyone believe that Barca lost yesterday?!?!?! I have to give the Blues credit for the brute-force defense that kept all of the 24 shots out of the goal, and the amazing work of Cech to keep the few that the defenders missed out of the net.

I sincerely hope their luck runs out at the Camp Nou.

I give chelsea all the credit in the world, but they probably should have lost about 3-1. I do not foresee them holding into their lead at the nou camp. But, stranger things have happened than them maybe squeaking out a 2-1 loss to go through on away goals.........

All I know is the Timbers better bring it this week, this losing at home crap is getting old. :drunk:

All I know is the Timbers better bring it this week, this losing at home crap is getting old. :drunk:

Well... who knows, maybe this'll be a super awesome week that makes up for all the others by ending SKC's winning streak.

I didn't see the game, but of course Chelsea will get hammered away from home. Fair play to them though for scraping and possibly cheating their way to making eventual defeat look respectable.

Well, it's official and no longer rumor: the USMNT and USWNT primaries will feature red and white hoops (suck it, FC Dallas :D :D) Numbers/Name will go in the blank patches (which would have been left off, at least the back one)

yhst-96316601417599_2207_1052472

And the new secondaries are the ones they wore in their win against Italy. Very slick.

yhst-96316601417599_2206_3400602

aygov said:
I wouldn't call 5 pts over, especially since City and United have each other to play in a couple weeks. Another dropped game by United like they did on Wednesday and the Manchester derby takes on a lot more meaning...

I'll pat myself on the back for such an astute observation.

United drop points to Everton meaning that if they lose to City next week City will go top on goal difference.

Here are the videos I tried to post last night during the game. Had a FANTASTIC time and am really looking forward to going again.

About 50 minutes before the game:

During Timbers warmups:

Post goal celebration (About a minute after the goal):

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh snap. I was going to ask if there's an away-goal rule but I guess that doesn't matter :D

April 14, 2011
Chicago Fire SC at Portland Timbers -- 2-4
Holy crap this match was excellent. Portland, who came into this match with 1 point, completely dominated (with the exception of a 5-minute suckfest) with the support of Timbers Army. And speaking of Timbers Army, HOLY CRAP! Talk about a supports club! As a whole they sang the National Anthem (gaining national attention) and were just spectacular the entire 90+ minutes. And their Tetris song is awesome! Also, quite happy in their rendition you can actually hear them sing "O'er the ramparts we watched..." instead of "Over ramparts we watched".... drives me nuts when people singing the NA don't know the proper words.

Its been a year and I still get goosebumps thinking about that night...

I seem to remember posting a similar video here this time last year when Southampton got promoted......So here is another one of us getting promoted AGAIN! :D

Back into the Prem after almost going bankrupt and 7 years away from the top flight, we are BACK!! :D

Edit: yeah, just the one flare....Flares are not really an English thing. ;)

It was on American TV too :)

562529_10150994215852907_628512906_13251894_1284058647_n.jpg

Congrats, LGI!

Wow, Reno.. I love how Beckham gets a card for pointing out the f$%^ing obvious. I also love how he had his arms up before Noonan's goal even went in. You guys got about as much help from the refs as Portland did this week. We played like crap, but that doesn't excuse the ref.

CNN article

CNN today has a story highlighting the Manchester Darby.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/29/us/manchester-derby-america/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

WHen will we finally be able to move away from such an article essentially sounding like "Yes, we know most of you think this is boring, but some american's do follow this stuff..." and part if the news story in fact being about how interesting it is that people in this country care about soccer...

very little in that piece actually covered the match!!

Oh well, there is a certain satisfaction at seeing it on the main page at CNN nonetheless.

Covering last weekends La Liga Classico - which arguably was just as important a game though - would be just too much....after all they don't even speak english...

CNN article

CNN today has a story highlighting the Manchester Darby.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/29/us/manchester-derby-america/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I pointed that out to my wife last night, quite surprised to see it. She smiled and nodded.

WHen will we finally be able to move away from such an article essentially sounding like "Yes, we know most of you think this is boring, but some american's do follow this stuff..." and part if the news story in fact being about how interesting it is that people in this country care about soccer...

Probably around the time when most american's don't think its boring. :p

very little in that piece actually covered the match!!

I mean, I'm with you about all that... but it was CNN. Not a sports outlet. So there's a limit as to how much coverage of the match itself should be expected.

Covering last weekends La Liga Classico - which arguably was just as important a game though - would be just too much....after all they don't even speak english...

I think there's lots of reason they'd focus more on this than the classico.
1) Regardless of classico result, real madrid would still have controlled their own destiny, unlike in this game. Winner is in the drivers seat.
2) I think everyone expected that there would be yet another classico in the CL finals at the time of the liga classico, so that may have taken some of the luster off it.
3) its actually on TV that a typical viewer can get to. if you hype the classico, and someone actually gets interested in it, they can't actually watch it on TV unless they have some seriously extended cable packages.

Oh well, there is a certain satisfaction at seeing it on the main page at CNN nonetheless.

This is the part I would keep in mind. Focus on the positive rather than the negative. There are plenty of NBA and NHL playoff games going on right now and the front page of CNN was SOCCER.

dwarven_stout said:
Congrats, LGI!

Wow, Reno.. I love how Beckham gets a card for pointing out the f$%^ing obvious. I also love how he had his arms up before Noonan's goal even went in. You guys got about as much help from the refs as Portland did this week. We played like crap, but that doesn't excuse the ref.
Yeah he seems to be a magnet for frivolous yellows. My favorite is when he asks for 10 yards on a free kick and gets a yellow for delay of game.

Well at least they got the draw.

And LGI, congrats! That stadium looks out of control

Also, interesting stat:

Only three matches have ended in a 0-0 result, two of which involved Vancouver and two involved DC (first 0-0 match was WCFC v DCU.)

Is this a sign of improving attack or dissolving defense?

Back