Rubber stopper stuck in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808beer

Reaction score
Hello all!
How do I get my rubber stopper out of a glass carboy?
Ive tried pulling it out with a needle nose plier. Its a pain to get these out.

Thanks again,

Start naming all your beers "Rubber Stopper APA" or the like. ;)

And don't push the things in to begin with and use stoppers that are the right size and can't be pushed in. As for getting it out.. well, that I can't help you with.

Place a dish towel half way into the neck of the carboy. While holding the dish towel, turn the carboy upside down so that the stopper falls into the neck, in between the glass and the towel. Now when you pull the towel out the stopper will come with it. Works like a charm!

Drink at least a six pack of your favorite beer. Bring the carboy up to the roof. Do a quick scan for anyone below you. Drop the carboy when the coast is clear. Go downstairs and collect your stopper. Clean up the rest before SWMBO catches you. If you're ambitious, save the pieces and try to glue them back together with some epoxy.

Or use johnsma's towel technique. It doesn't sound as fun.

johnsma22 said:
Place a dish towel half way into the neck of the carboy. While holding the dish towel, turn the carboy upside down so that the stopper falls into the neck, in between the glass and the towel. Now when you pull the towel out the stopper will come with it. Works like a charm!

Also a good party trick with a wine bottle and a cork. Just make sure the cork hasn't swelled too much when you try to pound it in.

Too bad I didnt know that before I bottled my wine! When i was tryin out my new corker I pushed one into a bottle.....I poured the wine back into the bottling bucket, then threw the bottle away.....Im going to try that when I get home though.

Back