Kölsch Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like a great summer brew! This will be my first cold crash. Should I:

1. Ask swmbo if I can take over the kitchen fridge for a few days to cold crash a carboy?, or
2. Ferment in a corny, or rack to a corny as a secondary and then cold crash the corny in my kegerator?

EricT said:
I cold crashed mine in a corny

I've read a lot of threads that discuss corny fermenters. How do you provide your airlock/blowoff? After fermenting, how do you transfer to serving keg?

I've read a lot of threads that discuss corny fermenters. How do you provide your airlock/blowoff? After fermenting, how do you transfer to serving keg?

First, I didn't ferment in a corny, I transferred it from my carboy to the corny. Since its already fermented out, I don't provide any blow off for cold crash. As a matter of fact, I pressurized it to about 15 PSI and cold crashed for 4 days. Then set the gas on it to 11 and a week later pulled the first pint and dumped it out. Pulled the next pint and it was clear and yummy.

This sucks!

I ran out before I made another batch. Guess what I'm making again this weekend :)

This was my first HBT recipe and first All-Grain batch and its a huge hit. Im going to need to brew it again especially now that it is almost summer time.

I am sending a bottle to The Beer Clinic to get a BJCP judges score on the pint. I'll post his review once I get it.

OK, I converted this to extract and here's what I came up with instead of all grain.

5# Pilsner LME
3.5# Wheat DME

It wound up tasting delicious. I'll definitely brew it again. Color is a tad darker than I thought it should be, but the taste oh the taste.

Nice, just cracked my first bottle of this, 2 weeks primary, cold crashed in the secondary for 4 days and 2 weeks in the bottle. Excellent brew just in time for warm weather and yard work.

Crisp, clean and refreshing. Cheers.

Chose this as my first AG...you can read about my shambles of a brew day on the beginners forum....I have just racked it to a secondary for cold crashing and it still remains very very cloudy. Is this expected?

On the up side it already tastes great....no extract twang...like real beer. At last, I have made real beer. Albeit I now have about 3 gallons of left :(

Sorry if this has been mentioned, or if I've missed it but what is your efficiency Ed?

Also, what's the shelf life on this? I'm considering doing 10 gallons.

I had a party last night and this was one of the beers I had on tap. All I can say is "Wow". Both BMC and good beer drinkers loved the beer. After two years of home brewing, I think that I finally found my house beer. Thanks Ed:mug:

Just brewed this yesterday with a buddy. Taking it to a party at the end of July. My brew buddy ordered everything we followed ed's recipe. I noticed a corn smell and decided to check the recipe. Noticed the Pils. We only did a 60 minute boil per the recipe. Now I'm worried about DMS :(

I brewed this for my second all-grain on Sunday. went really good. Over shot the gravity by a little. I made my first starter on the stir plate I built. Holy Hell what a violent fermentation. It started bubbling in about 4 hours and shot out of the blow off overnight.
Thanks for the recipe Ed.

Just threw some yeast in a batch of this about an hour ago. I have probably brewed about 15 batches of beer in my life and this the the first one that is not hoppy or porter/stout. My water is super high in carbonates so I started with all RO water and added some gypsum an CaCl2. Hopefully it turns out well. This batch or the brown I am doing next tuesday will be brought to a wedding reception as a gift in august.

Guys, does it matter what type of pilsner malt you use? I am ordering from AHS and they have "German Pilsen," "Beligiam Pilsen," "Bohemian Pilsner," "German Pilsen," and "Premium Pilsner" malt.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I can't seem to decide amongst these. Was going to get the German Pilsen malt. any suggestions? Making this one for a golf weekend.

I think this will be my next brew, hopefully before our water goes bad for the summer : (

Dgonza9 said:
Guys, does it matter what type of pilsner malt you use? I am ordering from AHS and they have "German Pilsen," "Beligiam Pilsen," "Bohemian Pilsner," "German Pilsen," and "Premium Pilsner" malt.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I can't seem to decide amongst these. Was going to get the German Pilsen malt. any suggestions? Making this one for a golf weekend.

I used German

I would love to brew this but I have one question. On AHS, they do not have perle hops, but I have read that both cluster and northern brewer are substitutes. Anyone have a reccomendation for which one to go with? The cluster hops have a slightly lower AA %, whereas the northern brewer hops have a slightly larger AA %.

Thanks.

So does this look okay? I couldn't figure out how to add a half pound on Northern Brewer, so I just added it in the comments which is why it says 3 lbs.
http://imageshack.us/f/847/itemsr.jpg/

Is a single infusion mash different from a sparge? Should I add about 6.5 to 7 gallons of strike water, let it sit at 151 F, and then no sparge? Lastly, did you go with 1.25qts/lb of grain?

So does this look okay? I couldn't figure out how to add a half pound on Northern Brewer, so I just added it in the comments which is why it says 3 lbs.
http://imageshack.us/f/847/itemsr.jpg/

Is a single infusion mash different from a sparge? Should I add about 6.5 to 7 gallons of strike water, let it sit at 151 F, and then no sparge? Lastly, did you go with 1.25qts/lb of grain?

Looks like a plan. Mash with 1.25 quarts per pound. Be sure to boil for 90 minutes.

Just racked this to a keg and tried a sample. Came out a bit drier than I expected probably due to mash temp was a little low at 149. Should still be be good for the hot weather we are having right now. Thanks for a good recipe Ed. Next up your house pale ale.

Awesome, thanks. How much sparge water do you normally use? My last question, I promise.

I used to calculate it, but now since I brew 15 gallons, I mash in with 1.25 qt/lb and batch sparge till I get 18 gallons in my brew kettle. It's easy with a site glass to see how much you need to add to your last batch.

For a 5.5 gallon batch, Sparge Pal says to mash with 3 gallons and sparge with 6.1 gallons. This is for a 90 minute boil.

Are you still in primary for 10 days before cold crashing?

I'm not in a rush this time so before I head out of town, I will drop the temp to 60 degrees for a week or so before heading down to 39 for crash cooling.

I now try to keep my beers on the cake for at least 2 weeks to give the yeasties time to clean up after themselves.

Ed, I am going to do this recipe tomorrow. But I am not sure if I should go to the store and pick up some water or just use my tap water? See, I have a well, and I have hard water, (wow that sound weird!), have you heard of anyone doing this recipe w/ hard water?

Brew is done, just cooling down a little before I pitch my yeast. My OG was a little higher, not positive of how much wort I got from the kettle, but I topped off with a half gallon of water. Can't wait to try this one!

and also, this was my first time using pilsner malt. I had a tough time getting my runnings clear and ended up with some grain particles in my boil, hope this doesn't affect the beer too much

Well I decided not to take the risk and bought some spring water from the store... I figure I will brew this again in the near future and use my well water, thenican do a side by side comparison, the post the results.
12 min to go until mashout....

Well, the brew day went w/o a hitch....67% efficiency, (BIAB), OG of 1.050. Pitched the yeast at 67*
Now the hardest part, waiting!

Well, the brew day went w/o a hitch....67% efficiency, (BIAB), OG of 1.050. Pitched the yeast at 67*
Now the hardest part, waiting!

We're in the same boat, I brewed mine yesterday and it was fermenting away this morning. Did you use the WLP029 yeast?

Back