CO2 Bottle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_circus

Reaction score
I'm considering one of the kegging packages from kegconnection.com and they all come with a new aluminum CO2 bottle, which is nice. My question is, the places that I've called around town to fill the CO2 bottle, all seem to just swap your empty bottle for one of their full ones.

Am I missing something? It seems counter productive to order a brand new bottle to immediately go in and have it swapped out (for a presumably used one?). As I understand it, the cylinders are available in aluminum and steel, so do I run the risk of exchanging my new aluminum bottle for a steel one?

If you can't tell, I'm pretty green still and likely thinking aloud :)

Do you guys get your bottle filled or do you do the exchange game?

1. No I don't think you are missing anything

2. Yes more than likely they won't have any aluminum tanks to swap with you and you'll get a steel tank so you are better of buying a used tank if you are going to swap

3. I do both, swap my steel tanks and have my aluminum tanks filled

A swap is usually cheaper

20 lb tanks are the best value if you are looking at tanks in the 2.5,5,10,15 and 20 lb range

At my welding supply store if you request that your bottle be returned they will but it usually takes 2-3 days to get it back because they have to send it out to re-fill.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll give the local home brew store a ring and see if they have any leads on where to fill aluminum bottles, either that, or I'll try to order a kit minus the bottle and just buy one locally.

Back