Starter from expired yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llama

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm brewing an IPA today and made a starter last night from a vial of expired yeast, hoping I could get it to come alive and ferment my brew today.

I made about 1.8L starter using DME and some yeast nutrient, boiled 10 minutes and have a gravity of 1.048. I let it cool to ambient before pitching the yeast. The yeast is White Labs California Ale. It expired on 1/28/10.

I got up this morning and checked the gravity again, and it was still 1.048. I expected it to go down a few points at least.

Are my yeasties completely dead, or should I be more patient? Would you advise me to get more yeast for my brew today?

Thanks!

Llama

I'd be getting some more yeast. What you have may have enough life left to it to multiply and be pitchable, but I can't see it happening in the next few hours. Maybe just splurge and get a couple vials or go with a dry yeast since you're brewing an IPA.

Unless you're ready to deal with a 48-72 hour lag, get new yeast. I've made starters with expired yeast before and it's taken 4-5 days to get moving.

-Joe

Thanks for the advice!

I'll be buying some sachets of yeast today.

Any advice of what I should do with the starter?

You can keep it going and see if it pulls through. Then just put it in the fridge until you're ready to brew again.

A January Date will probly have one heck of a long start..

But if its only a month should go real quick.. I Have used expired white labs as well and worked out fine but if i use white labs i make my starter like 2 day before just to play it safe!

I had a Wyeast Irish Ale Activator pack that had a July 2008 production date on it. I made a starter from it 2 weeks ago. It took 4 days to swell the smack pack, then I pitched it into a 2L starter. It was fine. I pitched the starter into a 5gal batch of Irish Stout, and it got down to 1.013.

Never say never!

Latest posts

Back