Bulk Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red

Reaction score
i know this may be a common question guys but i cant realy find the specifics im after. when bulk priming(after sitting in primary for 3 weeks) do i:
1. rack to second, add sugar, leave it settkle for a day or 2 then bottle?

2. rack to second, leave to clear for a day or 2, add sugar then bottle

3.rack to second, add sugar, quick stir then bottle?

also i have a recipe citing in the fermenter atm(has finished fermenting about 5 days ago) that called for a teabag style packet of hops. i left the whole bag of hops in the fermenter, after boiling for the desired time, as per instructed. no that it is just clearing, having finished all its got to do, do i pull the bag out or just leave it in there? can it do any damage if i leave it in tehre while it clears?

cheers lads

To your first question. Answer is #3, but try not to get oxygen into the brew when you are stirring it to disperse the primming sugar.

You can leave the hops in there. It won't do any harm.

Was it in your primary the whole time it was fermenting? If it was, then a lot of the hop flavour/aroma would be scrubbed out by the CO2 during primary fermentation.

yeah i just put it in primary and left it there. was gunna leave it for 2 weeks after fermentation finished b4 i racked to a second to bulk prime and bottle. cheers for the help mate

Pour/water mixture into your bucket/carboy.
Transfer beer into that carboy (stir a little bit)
Bottle

The sugar CANT ferment before you put it in bottles, otherwise there won't be any way to carbonate. And the sugar has to be uniformly mixed (as much as possible)

Back