Be patient with kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Haven't been around for awhile. Too busy with work and it's been too hot to brew.

I just popped open a kolsch that I brewed a few months back. Hadn't had a bottle for at least a couple of months. If you have ever brewed a kolsch you know that the yeast is really messy. Typically you will get more trub in the bottom of your primary and even in the secondary and the bottles it's hard to get the beer clear-- it tends to turn out a bit milky.

I have found the same thing with this batch, though, as I did with my last one-- wait awhile-- possibly a long while-- and WOW. The one I drank today was clear and crisp and perfect for a hot summer day.

I just racked my first kolsch into a keg, and it's looking really good, clear as a bell.

I left it three weeks in primary, then five weeks in the secondary at ~65F. Primary fermentation was at around 74F, using Wyeast 2565. I didn't find this to have more trub, mess, etc. compared with IPAs I've done in the past. Overall, this is turning out to be the lightest, clearest beer I've made. I'm interested in hearing more about your recipe and process.

I'm force carbonating in the keg, and then will bottle it in 2-3 weeks to give half to my dad. We'll be drinking it about 3 months after brewing.

I usually try to follow the 1-2-3 rule, but I think this batch was probably in the secondary a little longer, maybe about 3 weeks before bottling.

I think the recipe was called "kick-ass kolsch," and can be found here by doing a search. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find it tomorrow and post it.

Back