munich helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerdoc

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a munich helles, and the Beer Captured recipe calls for spalt and hallertau hops. I'm having a hard time finding spalt whole hops or spalt hop plugs, and I was considering using Saaz hops to replace the spalt. Does this sound like a good idea? Anyone know where to get whole Spalt hops or spalt plugs?

Also, I understand these are supposed to be brews with big, healthy heads, so will a little added carafoam do the trick?

Isn't there a hop chart in the back of BC that shows substitute hops? The Spalt region is right next to the Hallertau (OK, actually separated by less than 30 miles).:D

I could be thinking of another book, but sometimes I'm right...:D

I just finished a Helles with Spalt and hallertau and am currently drinking an Alt with a lot of Spalt hops--I think it is an awesome hop variety and this is the first year i have used it--very clean bitter with a touch of spice. i beleive I got whole flowers from Northern Brewer.

And just let me add that this recipe from Beer Captured is a good one. My wife liked it soo much that I got permission to buy a beer fridge to do lagers at a summer time!

AdIn said:
And just let me add that this recipe from Beer Captured is a good one. My wife liked it soo much that I got permission to buy a beer fridge to do lagers at a summer time!

That must have been an amazing beer. I would say Saaz or Hallertau would be a great hop. It might be different then the recipe, but the beer should be great.

"Rubber Woman" LOL

I found the spalt hops at NB, and bought those and some other goodies, so thanks for the idea. Brewing on May 27, I'll let you know how it goes.

Back